Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Merge two archives, command line Post 302949368 by 1in10 on Friday 10th of July 2015 01:11:16 AM
Old 07-10-2015
me blinded by the light, thank you. it worked. :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use Perl to merge multi-line into single line

Hi, Can anyone know how to use perl to merge the following multi-line information which beginning with "BAM" into one line. For each line need to delete the return and add a space. Please see the red color line. ******Org. Multi-line) BAM admin 101.203.57.22 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge files based on line by line

Hi, lets assume the following details.. file 1 has below details abc|1234|xyz abc1|1234|xyz1 abc2|1234|xyz2 and file 2 has below details pqr|124|lskd ebwer|325|dfb wf|234|sdb I need out put shown below abc|1234|xyz pqr|124|lskd abc1|1234|xyz1 ebwer|325|dfb abc2|1234|xyz2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 files, line by line

Hi all, I've been looking for a way to merge 2 simple text files, line by line using the shell: For example: File1: aaaa bbbb cccc File2: 1111 2222 3333 The 2 files have the same number of lines. I'm trying to obtain: aaaa 1111 bbbb 2222 cccc 3333 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: venezia
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To merge a few lines to 1 line

Hi Experts, This is my input file. input.txt 0 /dev/fd 25 /var 1 /tmp 1 /var/run 1. If this file has single line, then leave it, print the single line else merge the 4 lines above into 1 line as below e.g (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: streddy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multi-line output into a single line

Hello I did do a search and the past threads doesn't really solve my issue. (using various awk commands) I need to combine the output from java -version into 1 line, but I am having difficulties. When you exec java -version, you get: java version "1.5.0_06" Java(TM) 2 Runtime... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take out First Line and merge all files

Hi Gurus, I have n number of files. Data which is in the files have column headers. I need to take them out and merge into one file. Can you help please? I need to do that little urgent. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines to one line when line starts with and ends with

example: comment Now_TB.table column errac is for error messages 1 - first 2 - second 3 -third ; in this example I need to be able to grab the comment as first word and ; as the last word and it might span a few lines. I need it to be put all in one line without line breaks so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wambli
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two files line by line

Hello, i want to merge two files via terminal. After three lines of file one i will append a line of file two: Example: File 1: @chr1_15953153_15953093_1_0_0_0_1:0:0_0:0:0_0/1 TGTCGTAAAATCACAACGTCCCCATCTTTCAAGCCATAAGCAGCCAATGATCTGTGGTTGTCTGTGAGAGGTCTTTCCGCATAGACGATCTACAACAAGA +... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Innsbrucker
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to merge every n lines into one line?

I want to merge every 16 lines into one line, how can I do that? My file looks like below: 0 . 2 2 . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0 0 0 0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ml4me
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)

NAME
git-merge-base - Find as good common ancestors as possible for a merge SYNOPSIS
git merge-base [-a|--all] <commit> <commit>... DESCRIPTION
git merge-base finds best common ancestor(s) between two commits to use in a three-way merge. One common ancestor is better than another common ancestor if the latter is an ancestor of the former. A common ancestor that does not have any better common ancestor is a best common ancestor, i.e. a merge base. Note that there can be more than one merge base for a pair of commits. Among the two commits to compute the merge base from, one is specified by the first commit argument on the command line; the other commit is a (possibly hypothetical) commit that is a merge across all the remaining commits on the command line. As the most common special case, specifying only two commits on the command line means computing the merge base between the given two commits. As a consequence, the merge base is not necessarily contained in each of the commit arguments if more than two commits are specified. This is different from git-show-branch(1) when used with the --merge-base option. OPTIONS
-a, --all Output all merge bases for the commits, instead of just one. DISCUSSION
Given two commits A and B, git merge-base A B will output a commit which is reachable from both A and B through the parent relationship. For example, with this topology: o---o---o---B / ---o---1---o---o---o---A the merge base between A and B is 1. Given three commits A, B and C, git merge-base A B C will compute the merge base between A and a hypothetical commit M, which is a merge between B and C. For example, with this topology: o---o---o---o---C / / o---o---o---B / / ---2---1---o---o---o---A the result of git merge-base A B C is 1. This is because the equivalent topology with a merge commit M between B and C is: o---o---o---o---o / / o---o---o---o---M / / ---2---1---o---o---o---A and the result of git merge-base A M is 1. Commit 2 is also a common ancestor between A and M, but 1 is a better common ancestor, because 2 is an ancestor of 1. Hence, 2 is not a merge base. When the history involves criss-cross merges, there can be more than one best common ancestor for two commits. For example, with this topology: ---1---o---A / X / ---2---o---o---B both 1 and 2 are merge-bases of A and B. Neither one is better than the other (both are best merge bases). When the --all option is not given, it is unspecified which best one is output. AUTHOR
Written by Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org[1]> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[2]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. torvalds@osdl.org mailto:torvalds@osdl.org 2. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)