Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping unwanted characters in field Post 302949280 by RudiC on Wednesday 8th of July 2015 04:39:04 PM
Old 07-08-2015
Try also
Code:
awk '{sub(/\..*$/,"",$2)}1' FS=\| OFS=\| file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff output, unwanted characters

I've got a diff command running in a shell script that writes the ouput to a new file. In the new file there is a ">" at the beginning of each line. The output file is going to be used by another program and that character makes the file useless. What I'm getting in the new file: > 2007-09-27... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scanner248
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unwanted field separation in awk

Hi everyone, My problem is strange, I cannot think of why this is happening. I have a set of data that looks like this: Although it does not look it, the fields are tab delimited. I have made sure of this, and awk does recognize them as such. However, it divides what I would expect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing unwanted characters from a file

i have a file like this 1111_2222#$#$dudgfdk 11111111_343434#$#$334 1111_22222#43445667 i want to remove all those charachetrs from # how can i do this Thank in advance Saravanan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a variable

I'm using a shell script to get user input with this command: read UserInput I would then like to take the "UserInput" variable and strip out all of the following characters, regardless of where they appear in the variable or how many occurrences there are: \/":|<>+=;,?*@ I'm not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

How do delete unwanted characters from lsof?

Hi. I need to trace on Unix level number of connections to an Oracle database. The listener runs on port 1521. The following is run: oracle@server03 >lsof -Pni |grep ".1521" |grep IPv4 | awk {'print $5'}|cut -d: -f 1|sort|uniq -c|sort -nk 1 87 IPv4 oracle@server03 > I need to append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grigorianvlad
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a file and reformatting according to another one

Dear experts, my problem is pretty tricky. I want to change a file (see attached input.txt), according to another file (help.txt). The output that is desired is in output.txt. The example is attached. Note that -dashes should not be treated specially, they are considered normal characters,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to get rid of unwanted characters

so i have strings such as this: 'postfix/local#2,5#|CRON.*12062.*root.*CMD#2,5#|roice.*NQN1#1,2#|toysprc#1,4#' i need to get rid of the "#" and the numbers between them for each of the strings above. so the desired output should be: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)