Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping unwanted characters in field Post 302949277 by Aia on Wednesday 8th of July 2015 04:31:06 PM
Old 07-08-2015
Code:
while IFS='|' read f1 f2 rest; do
    echo "$f1|${f2%%.*}|$rest"
done < $1

Code:
prog.sh dataset.txt > saved_result.txt

Once that saved_result.txt is what you want, you can rename it.
This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff output, unwanted characters

I've got a diff command running in a shell script that writes the ouput to a new file. In the new file there is a ">" at the beginning of each line. The output file is going to be used by another program and that character makes the file useless. What I'm getting in the new file: > 2007-09-27... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scanner248
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unwanted field separation in awk

Hi everyone, My problem is strange, I cannot think of why this is happening. I have a set of data that looks like this: Although it does not look it, the fields are tab delimited. I have made sure of this, and awk does recognize them as such. However, it divides what I would expect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing unwanted characters from a file

i have a file like this 1111_2222#$#$dudgfdk 11111111_343434#$#$334 1111_22222#43445667 i want to remove all those charachetrs from # how can i do this Thank in advance Saravanan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a variable

I'm using a shell script to get user input with this command: read UserInput I would then like to take the "UserInput" variable and strip out all of the following characters, regardless of where they appear in the variable or how many occurrences there are: \/":|<>+=;,?*@ I'm not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

How do delete unwanted characters from lsof?

Hi. I need to trace on Unix level number of connections to an Oracle database. The listener runs on port 1521. The following is run: oracle@server03 >lsof -Pni |grep ".1521" |grep IPv4 | awk {'print $5'}|cut -d: -f 1|sort|uniq -c|sort -nk 1 87 IPv4 oracle@server03 > I need to append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grigorianvlad
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a file and reformatting according to another one

Dear experts, my problem is pretty tricky. I want to change a file (see attached input.txt), according to another file (help.txt). The output that is desired is in output.txt. The example is attached. Note that -dashes should not be treated specially, they are considered normal characters,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to get rid of unwanted characters

so i have strings such as this: 'postfix/local#2,5#|CRON.*12062.*root.*CMD#2,5#|roice.*NQN1#1,2#|toysprc#1,4#' i need to get rid of the "#" and the numbers between them for each of the strings above. so the desired output should be: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux