Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cluster 6.1 storage move
Operating Systems AIX Cluster 6.1 storage move Post 302949019 by bakunin on Monday 6th of July 2015 05:38:34 AM
Old 07-06-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by snchaudhari2
The plan that our architect implemented in summary is :
shutdown the source servers,
replicate the old luns with new luns,
remove the old luns and allocate new luns.
Bring the servers up.
The problem with this plan is:

1. the new LUNs will have different WWNs and therefore the volume group information of the system will not be consistent. Basically you will have to build the cluster resources anew.

2. You need a (complete) downtime to do this as your storage guy planned. What i described will need no downtime at all. To reconfigure all the VGs and RGs plan at least 1-2 hours (30 min to actually do it, 30-90 min in contingency) and you will not know if everything went well until you do an "extended verification and synchronisation". (Technically speaking, you will be creating new VGs, which just happen to have the same name as the old ones and you will build new ressource groups from them, which happen to have the same name as the old ones.)

I hope this helps.

bakunin

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Veritas Storage Foundation basic and Core cluster solaris 10 release 7 install

After much hitting my head to the wall with this meesages root@crasher /workzone/dvd4_sfb-sol_x64]#./installer -verbose -installonly 5.0MP3 Installation Program Copyright (c) 2008 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved. Symantec, the Symantec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tristezo2k
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Any ideas how to accomplish this storage move?

We have a datacenter in another part of the country with about a 100Mb WAN between that datacenter and the local datacenter. The remoted datacenter has about 20TB of data on roughly 75 servers that all must be moved to this datacenter with minimal downtime. Please help me come up with the best way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Cluster/Storage question

Hi Bros, I am a newbie to this cluster environment...my workplace is a mess of Sun solaris server, oracle database, Cisco switch, router, MS Server, Windows PC..so and so..now my boss ask me to come out with a procedure for maintenance of storage array in our sun cluster environment..I read few... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavierantony
12 Replies

4. Red Hat

Storage Cluster ?

Hi I want the Sync file server together (at the moment) All server to a web server What can I do to update Joomla or WordPress files even when taken together are equal Databases together are replicated What is the solutions ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
2 Replies

5. Linux

Move OS to storage disk

Hi We have RHEL 7.3 running from local disk and we want to move it to storage. I am unable to find any proper procedure to do this activity. Please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
4 Replies
fcd_disable_mgmt_lun(5) 					File Formats Manual					   fcd_disable_mgmt_lun(5)

NAME
fcd_disable_mgmt_lun - select whether or not management luns are discovered in the legacy representation of mass storage devices VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Enable discovery of management luns for array devices. Disable discovery of management luns for array devices. Recommended values DESCRIPTION
Management luns provide the means to access the control ports of Fibre Channel disk arrays. They are represented in both the legacy and the agile view of storage devices. The legacy representation of a management lun is typically created under a separate virtual extension bus node. The entry for a legacy management lun looks like this: On a system with a large number of storage devices connected, creation of management luns can result in an insufficient number of virtual extension buses for the legacy representation of data luns. Since the number of extension buses on a system is limited to 256, luns requiring virtual extension buses above 256 will be unusable through legacy device special files. Disabling the discovery and creation of management luns will free up virtual extension buses for use by data luns. The default value for this tunable is Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators who expect to use a large number of storage devices requiring more than 256 extension buses through legacy device special files. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. However, existing management luns will not be removed. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on when the system runs out of extension buses for configuring the legacy representation of data luns. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? None. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? When the functionality provided by the management lun is desired. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? Existing management luns in the legacy representation will show up in the state. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard Company. SEE ALSO
ioinit(1M), ioscan(1M), kctune(1M). Tunable Kernel Parameters fcd_disable_mgmt_lun(5)