Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular expression match
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular expression match Post 302948781 by Don Cragun on Thursday 2nd of July 2015 01:06:03 PM
Old 07-02-2015
The part that I found strange about the given ERE is that it will accept dates like 2015115 (which is ambiguous) as well as 2015-1-15 and 2015-11-5 (both of which are clear as to where the break is between the month and day). And, although 20151-15 and 201511-5 might be unambiguous, I'm not sure that I would want to accept them as "valid" date input (and both of these are also accepted by the given ERE).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exact match with regular expression

Hi I have a file with data arranged into columns. The first column is the chromosome name. When I use grep to subset only rows with chr1, I get chr1 but also chr10, chr11,.. How do I get only rows with chr1? grep chr1 filein > fileout head fileout chr1 59757841 chr11 108258691 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression - match 'b' that follows 'a' and is at the end of a string

Hi, I'm struggling with a regex that would match a 'b' that follows an 'a' and is at the end of a string of non-white characters. For example: Line 1: aba abab b abb aab bab baa I can find the right strings but I'm lacking knowledge of how to "discard" the bits that precede bs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

Hi all, any idea how to match the following: char*<no or any string or space> buf and char *<no or any string or space> buf i need to capture the buf characters too. currently i need two checks to cover this: #search char* <any string> buf or char *<any string> buf @noarray =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChaMeN
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression to match repeated characters

Hello All I have file which contain sample data like below - test.txt ---------------------------------------------- jambesh aaa india trxxx sdasd mentor asss light train bbblah --------------------------------------------- I want to write a regX which would print only those... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression to match repeated appearance

Hi all, I am looking for a regex syntax to match repeated appearance. Likes, ']+]+' matches for string '65A SOME MORE AND 78B' Now, this gets messy if I need to extract all such repeated appearance. I don't want to write ] four or five times for matching repeated appearance. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression match

I am trying to match a similar line using grep with regular expression the line is /remote/mac/pbbbb/abc/def/hij/hop/include/abc/tif/element/test/testfiles/Office.cpp:57: const OfficeType& getType().get() const; I just need to extract the bold characters using grep with regular expression.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression exact match

hi everyone suppose we have two scenario echo ABCD | grep \{4\} DATE echo SYSDATE | grep \{4\} SYSDATE i want to match the string of four length only please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular Expression to match files in Perl

Hi Everybody! I need some help with a regular expression in Perl that will match files named messages, but also files named message.1, message.2 and so on. So really I need one that will find messages and messages that might be followed by a period and a digit without matching other files like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split match regular expression with or

I cannot seem to get this to work correct: my ($k, $v) = split(/F/, $fc{$DIR}{symbolic}, 2); Below is the input (the $fc{$DIR}{symbolic} variable): QMH2562 FW:v5.06.03 DVR:v8.03.07.15.05.09-kbut i also need it to break on FV: Emulex NC553i FV4.2.401.6 DV8.3.5.86.2pthe code above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rusted_planet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression to match multiple lines?

Using a regular expression, I would like multiple lines to be matched. By default, a period (.) matches any character except newline. However, (?s) and /s modifiers are supposed to force . to accept a newline and to match any character including a newline. However, the following two perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
4 Replies
GETDATE(3)						     Library Functions Manual							GETDATE(3)

NAME
getdate - convert time and date from ASCII SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/timeb.h> time_t getdate(buf, now) char *buf; struct timeb *now; DESCRIPTION
Getdate is a routine that converts most common time specifications to standard UNIX format. The first argument is the character string containing the time and date; the second is the assumed current time (used for relative specifications); if NULL is passed, ftime(2) is used to obtain the current time and timezone. The character string consists of 0 or more specifications of the following form: tod A tod is a time of day, which is of the form hh:mm[:ss] (or hhmm) [meridian] [zone]. If no meridian - am or pm - is specified, a 24-hour clock is used. A tod may be specified as just hh followed by a meridian. date A date is a specific month and day, and possibly a year. Acceptable formats are mm/dd[/yy] and monthname dd[, yy] If omitted, the year defaults to the current year; if a year is specified as a number less than 100, 1900 is added. If a number not followed by a day or relative time unit occurs, it will be interpreted as a year if a tod, monthname, and dd have already been specified; other- wise, it will be treated as a tod. This rule allows the output from date(1) or ctime(3) to be passed as input to getdate. day A day of the week may be specified; the current day will be used if appropriate. A day may be preceeded by a number, indicating which instance of that day is desired; the default is 1. Negative numbers indicate times past. Some symbolic numbers are accepted: last, next, and the ordinals first through twelfth (second is ambiguous, and is not accepted as an ordinal number). The symbolic number next is equivalent to 2; thus, next monday refers not to the immediately coming Monday, but to the one a week later. relative time Specifications relative to the current time are also accepted. The format is [number] unit; acceptable units are year, month, fort- night, week, day, hour, minute, and second. The actual date is formed as follows: first, any absolute date and/or time is processed and converted. Using that time as the base, day- of-week specifications are added; last, relative specifications are used. If a date or day is specified, and no absolute or relative time is given, midnight is used. Finally, a correction is applied so that the correct hour of the day is produced after allowing for daylight savings time differences. Getdate accepts most common abbreviations for days, months, etc.; in particular, it will recognize them with upper or lower case first let- ter, and will recognize three-letter abbreviations for any of them, with or without a trailing period. Units, such as weeks, may be speci- fied in the singular or plural. Timezone and meridian values may be in upper or lower case, and with or without periods. FILES
/usr/lib/libu.a SEE ALSO
ctime(3), time(2) AUTHOR
Steven M. Bellovin (unc!smb) Dept. of Computer Science University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill BUGS
Because yacc(1) is used to parse the date, getdate cannot be used a subroutine to any program that also needs yacc. The grammar and scanner are rather primitive; certain desirable and unambiguous constructions are not accepted. Worse yet, the meaning of some legal phrases is not what is expected; next week is identical to 2 weeks. The daylight savings time correction is not perfect, and can get confused if handed times between midnight and 2:00 am on the days that the reckoning changes. Because localtime(2) accepts an old-style time format without zone information, attempting to pass getdate a current time containing a dif- ferent zone will probably fail. unc GETDATE(3)