Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with naming the file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with naming the file Post 302948761 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 2nd of July 2015 07:28:33 AM
Old 07-02-2015
Try
Code:
for file in *.txt
do
  { read; IFS=\| read nr rest;} < "$file"
  if [ "$nr" ]; then
     mv "$file" "${file}${nr}"
  fi
done

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

naming a file to hostname

I am running a script remotely to another client. after it runs it places the file in /tmp. I need the file in /tmp to be renamed to the local hostname. but when i set the variable it names the file to my local hostname. how do i fix that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for file naming

Hi All, I am looking for a Unix shell script for file naming such that the file names itself as KARAN0001. The 4 digit sequence number must start at 0001 and end at 9999. After 9999 is reached, the number must reset to 0001. Can anyone please help me with that. Thanks & Regards ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue in naming a file

Hi, I want to create a file named 'abc(+1)' and append the data of file 'abc' to it. But getting error as unexpected'(' when i tried to use the following command. cat abc > abc(+1) Is there any other way to include brackets along with +1 in the file name? TIA. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalr
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

#file naming

hi all, Please advise at what circumstance those file will become -rwxr-xr-x 1 psa psa 1969088 Aug 18 2006 #libaa.sl -rwx------ 1 psa psa 2166784 Jul 25 2006 #libcrypto.sl.0.9.7 -rwx------ 1 psa psa 904040 Jul 25 2006 #libxxx.sl -rwx------ 1 psa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file naming question

Hi, I need some help! I have a file in which i im splitting into 20 different files each called model_001.in model_002.in etc... i would like to make directory for each file using only the name and not the extension so that the directory names are model_001 model_002 etc. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File splitting, naming file according to internal field

Hi All, I have a rather stange set of requirements that I'm hoping someone here could help me with. We receive a file that is actually a concatenation of 4 files (don't believe this would change, but ideally the solution would handle n files). The super-file looks like:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leedor
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File naming format

Hi, su - oracle<<EOC export PATH=${PATH}:${ORACLE_HOME}/bin exit EOC set `sqlplus -S $user_name/$password@$tns<<EOS set head off select min(time),max(time) from products; exit; EOS` var1=$1 var2=$2 su - oracle -c "exp user/pass@localdb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

File System Naming Convention

Hi, I am installing a new RHEL 5 application server containing JBOSS along with other specific 3rd party applications. I know that this usually gets installed in /opt but I was thinking of installing these on a new separtate lv / file system instead. i.e. /<my_new_FS_name> rather than... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

file naming in a script

#!/bin/bash while read inputline do what="$inputline" echo $what; if ; then exit fi $reextend $what $print ls -a done this is my code i am trying to change all of the file types of a certain directory to another file type but im not all the way there can someone help please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: domdom110
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Naming file with special characters ?

Hi all, I have a problem with file naming in linux. I have to create a file named like 11/22.csv but shell displays error: no such file or dir. Problem is / character in the file name. I searched unix linux naming concepts and it's restricted in OS. Please tell me if there's any other chance? OS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
3 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)