Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting all the subdirectories inside directories in excel file Post 302948751 by Don Cragun on Thursday 2nd of July 2015 03:49:27 AM
Old 07-02-2015
Unless your version of the Korn shell has find as a built-in, the issue isn't ksh, but the version of find you're using. And, since you didn't bother telling us what operating system you're using, RavinderSingh13 supplied a sample script that works on the system he's using without worrying about options that might not be available on your unnamed system.

The code I suggested should work with ksh on any system (unless you have a huge number of matching directories and/or relatively long pathnames). And, if that is a problem in your environment, it would disappear if you used the for loop I suggested.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions for Directories and Subdirectories

Is it possible to have a directory owned (by root) with permissions drwx------ and then have a sub directory of rwxrwxrwx. I know that this may be soo simple but I had no luck googling it. Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clancymf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display only subdirectories from given directories

Hi Genius, I would like to display all the subdirectories only with timestamp. For exmple: Given Directory : orabkup /orabkup total 11365112 drwxr-xr-x 9 oracle oradba 256 Jan 03 16:01 db1 /orabkup/db1: total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oradba 256 Jan 03 16:01... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing directories and subdirectories

How can list the directories and the subdirectories in a folder. It is possible with a single UNIX command. For example i have a folder named "archive" and another folder named "0808" and then multiple folders are there ... Can i list all the directories and subdirectories in the folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
6 Replies

4. AIX

recursive archive directories and subdirectories

Hi everyone, Maybe this is simple question for many of you, but I get confused.:confused: How to archive a parent directory which contains some subdirectories and some files? I have searched this forum, there are some commands like tar,etc, I tried but can not be implemented in my system.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files only inside the subdirectories only?

Hi I have a directory with two subdirectories and also have a code like below to search files modified in last 2 minutes. # ls hello080909.txt inbox outbox # find . -type f -mmin +2 ./inbox/hello2080909.txt ./outbox/hi0080909.txt ./hello080909.txt The above code just searches and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

backup of directories and subdirectories

Hello I'm new to the area Bash scripting and that is why I have a search script that is run on my unix server and always when I start the server or every 24 hours The script will create backups of directories and subdirectories I never found what I'm here make a new thread ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HansWurst
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Perl Script to read an excel file into an array and search in the UNIX directories

Hi, I want the Perl script with versions 5.8.2 and 5.8.5 starting with #!/usr/bin/perl The Perl program should read the excel file or text file line by line and taking into an array and search in the UNIX directories for reference file of .jsp or .js or .xsl with path .The Object names... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasam
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find directories without subdirectories

Hello, I have to find all directories, which contain files, but dont have subdirectories. For example if i have tree like: ├── kat11 │ ├── kat21 │ │ └── Dokument\ bez\ nazwy │ └── kat22 │ ├── kat31 │ │ └── Dokument\ bez\ nazwy │ └── kat32 │ └──... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: eValker
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping inside directories based on a file which contains file directory list

Hi All, Please help. I have got a file which contains a listing of a file and some directories after it, one by one. I am calling this file xyz.txt here file1 dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4 file2 dir5 dir6 dir7 dir8 file3 dir9 dir10 dir11 dir12 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Piyush Jakra
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove all the subdirectories except latest 5 inside any given directory

I Want to remove all the sub-directories except latest five in any given TGTDIR. Is there a way to do so without making a cd to TGTDIR? I have tried the following but not worked. Thank you. rm -rf `ls -t $TGTDIR | awk 'NR>5'` (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devendra Hupri
20 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)