Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk error when increasing number of files in folder Post 302948669 by owwow14 on Wednesday 1st of July 2015 10:51:29 AM
Old 07-01-2015
awk error when increasing number of files in folder

I have a folder with several files of which I want to eliminate all of the terms that they have in common using `awk`.
Here is the script that I have been using:

Code:
    awk '                
    FNR==1 {
        if (seen[FILENAME]++) {
            firstPass = 0
            outfile = FILENAME "_new"
        }
        else {
            firstPass = 1
            numFiles++
            ARGV[ARGC++] = FILENAME
        }
    }
    firstPass { count[$2]++; next }
    count[$2] != numFiles { print > outfile }
    ' *

An example of the information in the files would be:

Code:
File1

3	oil 
    4	and  
    8	vinegar

Code:
File2

4	hot  
    2	and  
    9	cold

The output should be:

Code:
    File1_new

3	oil   
        8	vinegar

Code:
    File2_new

4	hot  
        9	cold

It works when I use a small number of files (i.e. 10), but when I start to increase that number, I get the following error message:

awk: file20_new makes too many open files input record number 27, file file20_new source line number 14

Where is the error coming from when I use larger amounts of files?

Last edited by owwow14; 07-01-2015 at 11:58 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn the number of files under a particular folder, containing subfolders

Hi ALL I would like know how many files there under a particular folder, which contains subfolders. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error by renaming all the files in a folder

Hi All, I have a folder name as postscript folder and it contains the following postscript files. package1.ps package2.ps package3.ps when i am renaming all the ps files to xps files by using the following command mv /postscript/*.ps /postscript/*.xps Then i am getting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix command to cound the number of files in a folder

Hi All Can some one help me out. Please tell the unix command to cound the number of files in a folder. Ungent please# Thanks manas (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one number in all files using awk

Hi I want to change the number 70 mentioned in my file to 76 by using awk. I know how to change all same digits but not one particular number. I have 29 files almost similar to this. One of my files looks like #Input file for 200K NPT molecular dynamics of final 70%XL made from 58.5%... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increasing a number and appending it to next line of a text file

Hi all, I have text file having a number P100. what i need is when i run a script, it should add 1 to the above number and append it to the next line of a same text file.. when i use the script next time it should check the last line and add 1 to the last number and so on.. like the text... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop for number of files in a folder

Hi All, Need a for loop which should run for number of files in a folder and should pass the file name as parameter to another shell script for each loop. Please help me. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total number of files in the folder should be listed

Hi All, When i give the ls -lrt to list out all files with total number of files , i get the output as ls -lrt total 72 -rw-r--r-- 1 hari staff 796 Jul 11 09:17 va.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 hari staff 169 Jul 13 00:20 a.log -rwxr-xr-x 1 hari staff 659 Aug... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaihari
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a folder with huge number of files in n folders

We have a folder XYZ with large number of files (>350,000). how can i split the folder and create say 10 of them XYZ1 to XYZ10 with 35,000 files each. (doesnt matter which files go where). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a loop for multiple files in a folder to run awk command?

Dear folks I have two data set which there names are "final.map" and "1.geno" and look like this structures: final.map: gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2044 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2048 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2187 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 17654 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop awk command on files in a folder

Hi, I'd like to loop an action over all files with given extension within a folder. The "main" action is: awk -F "\t" 'BEGIN{OFS="\t"}{if ($10=="S") print$0; }' input.txt > output.txt The input.txt should be every file in the folder with *.subVCF extension; and the output should be a file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)