Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /etc/hosts.deny
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /etc/hosts.deny Post 302948666 by bakunin on Wednesday 1st of July 2015 10:37:52 AM
Old 07-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinoo
Hi there,

For /etc/hosts.deny was it used to deny access from the internet?
I am not sure what you mean: "/etc/hosts.deny" is part of the TCP wrapper software, which exists for many operating systems. It allows (together with "/etc/hosts.allow") to control and restrict access from certain hosts, not necessarily deny it. For instance one could allow for a certain host to access the local host via ftp but deny access via telnet.

Note that only protocols with an initial handshake can be controlled (which is true for TCP but not for UDP for instance).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hosts.deny "mailing thing"

Hey people i need a little help here if anyone knows who to separate the mailing users and can i have more then one at the end of the command line please tell me :::This is just an example::: /etc/hosts.deny: tftpd: ALL: (/some/where/safe_finger -l @%h | \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet deny

Hi all I'm using an AIX 5 machine. I'm trying to telnet from this machine to another Aix machine. When I use the "root" user - Everything works. I can telnet successfully the other machine When I use another user but root - I can't telnet the machine: noah@logist:/home/noah>telnet aixtst... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunbird
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

how to deny someone to use ftp command ?

hi,all, i have a question to trouble you. a workstation named AAA, and open the ftp services to permit user download and upload files. i have root password. a pc install windows 2k named BBB, someone install a serv-u ftp ( a ftp server software ) to transfer data. i don't have the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yarx
4 Replies

6. AIX

allow / deny root logins

Hello everyone I have to limit the root logins on my aix box (aix 5.3) I change the value on the /etc/security/user default (login and rlogin) change to false and add to root (rlogin and login = false) I tried in different ways but I got the same. Root still can login I try algo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.deny entry

Hello I want to block individuals who attempt to use ssh to loggon to one of my machines from a certain IP address. I added the following entry in hosts.deny. Will the entry do what I want to do? ssh: 202.111.128.225 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to block ssh via /etc/hosts.deny

Hi.., I am using redhat5 server, i want to know the details about to block ssh via /etc/hosts.deny. Need help immediately (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

9. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
ftphosts(4)                                                        File Formats                                                        ftphosts(4)

NAME
ftphosts - FTP Server individual user host access file SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts DESCRIPTION
The ftphosts file is used to allow or deny access to accounts from specified hosts. The following access capabilities are supported: allow username addrglob [addrglob...] Only allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. deny username addrglob [addrglob...] Do not allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. A username of * matches all users. A username of anonymous or ftp specifies the anonymous user. addrglob is a regular expression that is matched against hostnames or IP addresses. addrglob may also be in the form address:netmask or address/CIDR, or be the name of a file that starts with a slash ('/') and contains additional address globs. An exclamation mark (`!') placed before the addrglob negates the test. The first allow or deny entry in the ftphosts file that matches a username and host is used. If no entry exists for a username, then access is allowed. Otherwise, a matching allow entry is required to permit access. EXAMPLES
You can use the following ftphosts file to allow anonymous access from any host except those on the class A network 10, with the exception of 10.0.0.* IP addresses, which are allowed access: allow ftp 10.0.0.* deny ftp 10.*.*.* allow ftp * 10.0.0.* can be written as 10.0.0.0:255.255.255.0 or 10.0.0.0/24. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftphosts(4)