Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Make all records with the same number of fields (awk) Post 302948630 by beca123456 on Wednesday 1st of July 2015 04:13:40 AM
Old 07-01-2015
Thanks RudiC !

@Yoda & Scrutinizer: I assumed that max NF was unknown.
@senhia83: it works, but RudiC's one is more concise.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Number of records

Hi, Is it possible to find the total number of records processed by awk at begining. NR gives the value at the end. Is there any variable available to find the value at the begining? Thanks ---------- Suman (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK ??-print for fields within records in a file

Hello all, Would appreciate if someone can help me out on the following requirement. INPUT FILE: -------------------------- TPS REPORT abc def ghi jkl mon pqr stu vrs lll END OF TPS REPORT TPS REPORT field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyennah
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk -- separation of records on basis of number of fields

A file file1.txt exists having records like The delimiter being "|" X|_|Y|_|Z|_| (number of fields 7) A|_|B|_| (number of fields 5) X|_|Z|_|H|_| (number of fields 7) A|_|D|_|S|_| (number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: centurion_13
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print records which do not have expected number of fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma (,) delimited file, in which few fields are enclosed with in double quotes " ". I have to print the records in the file which donot have expected number of field with the line number. File1 ==== name,desgnation,doj,project #header#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Cannot read Number of records greater than 1(NR>1)

Hi all, I have a tab-delimited text file of size 10Mb. I am trying to count the number of lines using, grep -c . sample.txtor wc -l < sample.txt or awk 'END {print NR}' sample.txtAll these commands shows the count as 1, which means they are reading only the first header line of the file.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print number of records, divide this number

I would like to print the number of records of 2 files, and divide the two numbers awk '{print NR}' file1 > output1 awk '{print NR}' file2 > output2 paste output1 output2 > output awl '{print $1/$2}' output > output_2 is there a faster way? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmerc
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

keeping last record among group of records with common fields (awk)

input: ref.1;rack.1;1 #group1 ref.1;rack.1;2 #group1 ref.1;rack.2;1 #group2 ref.2;rack.3;1 #group3 ref.2;rack.3;2 #group3 ref.2;rack.3;3 #group3 Among records from same group (i.e. with same 1st and 2nd field - separated by ";"), I would need to keep the last record... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: group multiple fields from different records

Hi, My input looks like that: A|123|qwer A|456|tyui A|456|wsxe B|789|dfgh Using awk, I am trying to get: A|123;456|qwer;tyui;wsxe B|789|dfgh For records with same $1, group all the $2 in a field (without replicates), and all the $3 in a field (without replicates). What I have tried:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk for matching fields between files with repeated records

Hello all, I am having trouble with what should be an easy task, but seem to be missing something fundamental. I have two files, with File 1 consisting of a single field of many thousands of records. I also have File 2 with two fields and many thousands of records. My goal is that when $1 of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
unknown(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							unknown(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
unknown - Handle attempts to use non-existent commands SYNOPSIS
unknown cmdName ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is invoked by the Tcl interpreter whenever a script tries to invoke a command that doesn't exist. The implementation of unknown isn't part of the Tcl core; instead, it is a library procedure defined by default when Tcl starts up. You can override the default unknown to change its functionality. If the Tcl interpreter encounters a command name for which there is not a defined command, then Tcl checks for the existence of a command named unknown. If there is no such command, then the interpreter returns an error. If the unknown command exists, then it is invoked with arguments consisting of the fully-substituted name and arguments for the original non-existent command. The unknown command typically does things like searching through library directories for a command procedure with the name cmdName, or expanding abbreviated command names to full-length, or automatically executing unknown commands as sub-processes. In some cases (such as expanding abbreviations) unknown will change the original command slightly and then (re-)execute it. The result of the unknown command is used as the result for the original non-existent command. The default implementation of unknown behaves as follows. It first calls the auto_load library procedure to load the command. If this succeeds, then it executes the original command with its original arguments. If the auto-load fails then unknown calls auto_execok to see if there is an executable file by the name cmd. If so, it invokes the Tcl exec command with cmd and all the args as arguments. If cmd can't be auto-executed, unknown checks to see if the command was invoked at top-level and outside of any script. If so, then unknown takes two additional steps. First, it sees if cmd has one of the following three forms: !!, !event, or ^old^new?^?. If so, then unknown carries out history substitution in the same way that csh would for these constructs. Finally, unknown checks to see if cmd is a unique abbrevia- tion for an existing Tcl command. If so, it expands the command name and executes the command with the original arguments. If none of the above efforts has been able to execute the command, unknown generates an error return. If the global variable auto_noload is defined, then the auto-load step is skipped. If the global variable auto_noexec is defined then the auto-exec step is skipped. Under normal circum- stances the return value from unknown is the return value from the command that was eventually executed. SEE ALSO
info(n), proc(n) KEYWORDS
error, non-existent command Tcl unknown(n)