Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tar extract a multiple directories Post 302948593 by Smiling Dragon on Tuesday 30th of June 2015 05:48:56 PM
Old 06-30-2015
It's not immediately obvious from the script what the directory and file structure you are working with looks like. Based on the first line, it looks like you have a number of directories in /tarfiles, each directory can contain one of more tar files which you immediately delete.
Next, you are looking for tar gz files that are in the /tarfiles directory and are named after each subdirectory, and then moving them into that subdirectory, it looks like there could be more than one per directory.
Once all that's done, you are unzipping the tar gzs, and then untaring them.

If all that is true, then we can proceed.

Each of the files returned by your for loop will already have the right directory included in it, you are then prepending the directory name again. You'd end up with something like /tarfiles/abcd/abcd/abcd-foo.tar when you actually want /tarfiles/abcd/abcd-foo.tar - thus tar saying it can't find the file.

If that's indeed what's happening, just remove the $dir part of the input file being passed to tar.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

tape drives vs. tar with multiple directories

Hello, I have a little problem with backup & restoring files from tape drive. I am adding 3 directories to my tape, and it is OK: hades# tar -cvf /dev/nsa0 test test1 restore a test a test/level1 a test/myharddisk.img a test1 a test1/level1 a test1/myharddisk.img a test1/test.img a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: d3m00n
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar, zip multiple separate directories and move the results to another volume

TIA, I'm using FreeBSD 6 I have a series of Directories (A,B,C,...Z). Each directory has files and other directories within it. I want to compress the contents of each top directory into a single file so that I get an archive of each directory (for example, A.gzip) AND and want to move... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jccbin
5 Replies

4. Linux

extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar

Hi, how can I extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar file ? I used tar -xf but does not work. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

6. Solaris

How to extract files from a tar file without creating the directories?

Hello all. I have a tar file that contains a number of files that are stored in different directories. If I extract this tar file with -xvf , the directories get created. Is there a way to extract all of the files into one directory without creating the directories stored in the tar file. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkb
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting multiple directories inside multiple directories

Hi, Very unfamiliar with unix/linux stuff. Our admin is on vacation so, need help very quickly. I have directories (eg 40001, 40002, etc) that each have one subdirectory (01). Each subdir 01 has multiple subdirs (001, 002, 003, etc). They are same in each dir. I need to keep the top and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkouraus1
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a tar ball into multiple directories

#cat a BAC064DAL BAC063DAL BAC056PHX BAC066DAL BAC062PHX BAC062DAL BAC060DAL BAC058PHX BAC054PHX BAC051PHX # for i in `cat a` > do > tar xvf $a/$a*.tar* > done tar: /*.tar*: Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar: /*.tar*: Cannot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies
SENDFILES(1)							     [nmh-1.5]							      SENDFILES(1)

NAME
sendfiles - send multiple files via a MIME message SYNOPSIS
sendfiles [delay] mailpath subject file1 [file2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The shell script sendfiles, is used to send a collection of files and directories via electronic mail. sendfiles mailpath "subject" files ... sendfiles will archive the files and directories you name with the tar command, and then mail the compressed archive to the "mailpath" with the given "subject". The archive will be automatically split up into as many messages as necessary in order to get past most mailers. Sometimes you want sendfiles to pause after posting a partial message. This is usually the case when you are running sendmail and expect to generate a lot of partial messages. If the first argument given to sendfiles starts with a dash, then it is interpreted as the number of seconds to pause in between postings, e.g., sendfiles -30 mailpath "subject" files ... will pause 30 seconds in between each posting. Extracting the Received Files When these messages are received, invoke mhstore once for the list of messages. The default is for mhstore to store the combined parts as a new message in the current folder, although this can be changed using storage formatting strings. You can then use mhlist to find out what's inside; possibly followed by mhstore again to write the archive to a file where you can subsequently uncompress and untar it. For instance: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore 9 % uncompress < 9.tar.Z | tar xvpf - Alternately, by using the -auto switch, mhstore will automatically do the extraction for you: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore -auto 9 -- tar listing appears here as files are extracted As the second tar listing is generated, the files are extracted. A prudent user will never put -auto in the .mh_profile file. The correct procedure is to first use mhlist to find out what will be extracted. Then mhstore can be invoked with -auto to perform the extraction. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
mhbuild(1), mhlist(1), mhshow(1), mhstore(1). Proposed Standard for Message Encapsulation (RFC-934) DEFAULTS
`-noverbose' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SENDFILES(1)