Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Su to another user from root doesn't work within shell script Post 302948470 by mo12 on Monday 29th of June 2015 10:28:42 PM
Old 06-29-2015
I tagged it as solved. Is that all its required??
This User Gave Thanks to mo12 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep doesn't work within shell script?

I am trying to run the following code from a script file but it complains that syntax of (both instances of) grep is wrong. When I copy and paste it to the terminal, it is OK. Any idea what the problem might be? set i = `grep -c #define flags.h` while ($i>20) @ i-- my func (`cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barisgultekin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script, echo doesn't work

#!/bin/sh something(){ echo "Inside something" echo $1 $2 } val=$(something "Hello " "world") Output expected: Inside somethingHello world But it's not echoing. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command in shell script doesn't work

Hello all, Something strange going on with a shell script I'm writing. It's trying to write a list of files that it finds in a given directory to another file. But I also have a skip list so matching files that are in that skip list should be, well uhm, skipped :) Here's the code of my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StijnV
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

7. Red Hat

sendmail doesn't work for root

I've created a Perl daemon that needs to send an email when an error/shutdown occurs. I use the Perl Email::Valid module and that uses sendmail. When I run the script as a regular user, the email is sent with no issues. When I run the script as the root user, I get the following message in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OldManEd
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Usermod doesn't work on root

Hi, I am root user. I need to add more groups to the account. I usse the below command but no apparent result # id uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root) # usermod -a -G 302,301,303 root # id uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root) # What can be the reason? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BearCheese
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching user inside a shell script doesn't seem to work

Linux version : Oracle Linux 6.4 Shell : Bash The following script will be run as root. During the execution, it should switch to oracle user and execute few commands. After googling and searching within unix.com , I came up with the following syntax ## Enclosing all commands in double... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Switch from Local user to root user from a shell script?

Hi, I need to switch from local user to root user in a shell script. I need to make it automated so that it doesn't prompt for the root password. I heard the su command will do that work but it prompt for the password. and also can someone tell me whether su command spawns a new shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies
tag(3tcl)                                                                                                                                tag(3tcl)

NAME
tag - Manipulate tagged files SYNOPSIS
tag option ?arg arg ...? DESCRIPTION
The tag procedure provides a number of options for manipulating tagged files. COMMANDS
tag readfile filename Reads the file with the given filename and returns a list where each list element is a tag record, which is represented by a list of label-value pairs, or label-value-endlabel triples. The tag header is the first element returned. tag writefile filename list Takes a list in the format used internally in tcl programs for tagged data and writes it as a tagged file. tag extract list tests Takes a list in tagged format, and a list of conditions, and returns a new list in tagged format which contains those tag records which match the conditions. The tests is a list of test items, each of which is a list of the form { labelname condition matchvalue } The conditions are == String equals != String not equal <= Less than or equal -in Is the test value a member of the list given as the matchvalue -contains Does the match value contain the test value as a case insensitive substring. -earlier Date earlier -later Date later - dates are in ISO format (yyyy-mm-dd [hh:mm:ss]). -exists Does the label exist in this record. BUGS
tag readfile reads the whole file into memory before turning it into a list. Should be more memory efficient. The -earlier and -later comparisons require TCL8.3 AUTHOR
John Lines (john@paladin.demon.co.uk) July 3, 2000 tag(3tcl)