Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Users logged into the system
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Users logged into the system Post 302948346 by rbatte1 on Monday 29th of June 2015 06:34:03 AM
Old 06-29-2015
Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how many users logged

in unix what is the syntax to find out how many users are currently logged in (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX users get logged off while idle.

Im "supporting" at least 2500 HP-UX workstations with CAD-related software with the B.11.11 build. I cant say anymore than that because of my companys sligtly paranoid security policy . The last few days a new problem has arised from nowhere. The problem is that users gets logged off when the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laoinjo
5 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

logged out users

how to find out users who logged out within 5 minutes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roshni
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users Not Logged in

I have searched the forums but have not mangaed to quite find what im looking for. I have used to /etc/passwd command to present me a list of all users the who command to present all users currently logged on, but what i want to know is what command can i use to display users that are registered... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
12 Replies

5. Programming

Get the list of logged in users

How can I get the list of logged in users in the system programmatically? I can get the list with 'who' or 'users' commands but I need to get the list programmatically... May someone help, please? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How many users are logged in?

How do I find this out? I have a feeling its a simple command such as who, but I just don't know what it is. I've had a search on here but either I can't put it into the right search criteria or there isn't a topic on it. Thanks. EDIT: Delete this thread, as I posted it I noticed the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris_rabz
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Help: users who are not logged into the system to display

A Newbie here, I am working on a script and am having problems with the else part of the script. I can't get the users who are not logged into the system to display on the screen with their username and the text "The user is not logged in". I am sure it is something simple and stupid, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rchirico
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Current logged in users

I have 2 systems. (1) RHEL5 and (2) winXP pro from xpPRO putty i ssh into rhel5 : user root from xpPRO i ftp into rhel5 : user abc123 when i run #uptime it only shows 1 user when i do #ps -u abc123 : it shows vsftpd deamon PID is there a command that can be used to show all currently... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users not logged in for last 90 days

Hi, How to find the users who did not login into a UNIX box (thru ssh/ftp or any other way) for last 90 days? I think of using "finger" or "last" command to findout each user's last login and then find number of days between today and that day. Is there any other better way or anyone prepared... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddyr
1 Replies
ruptime(1c)															       ruptime(1c)

Name
       ruptime - show host status of local machines

Syntax
       ruptime [ options ] [ machinename ]

Description
       The  command  gives  a  status  line  like  for each machine on the local network.  If a machinename is given, the status of only the named
       machine is given.  These status lines are formed from packets broadcast by each host on the network once a minute.

Machines for which no status report has been received for 5 minutes are shown as being down.

Options
       -a   Users idle an hour or more are not counted unless this option is specified.

-d   Display only those hosts that are considered down.

-l   Sort the status list by load average.  If more than one sort option is given, uses the last one.

-r   Show only hosts that are up and running.

-t   Sort the status list by uptime.  If more than one sort option is given, uses the last one.

-u   Sort the status list by number of users.  If more than one sort option is given, uses the last one.

-nn  Show only those hosts with nn or more users.

Restrictions
       Because the daemon sends its information in broadcast packets it generates a large amount of network traffic.  On large networks the  extra
       traffic	may  be  objectionable.   Therefore,  the  daemon is disabled by default.  To make use of the daemon for both the local and remote
       hosts, remove the comment symbols (#) from in front of the lines specifying in the file.

If the daemon is not running on a remote machine, the machine may incorrectly appear to be down when you use the command to  determine  its
       status.	See the reference page for more information.

If  a  system  has  more  than 40 users logged in at once, the number of users displayed by the command is incorrect.  Users who login to a
       machine after that point fail to increment the user count that appears in the output of the command.  This is due to the maximum size limit
       of an Ethernet packet, which is 1500 bytes, and the fact that the daemon must broadcast its information in a single packet.

Files
       /usr/spool/rwho/whod.*	Information about other machines

See Also
       rwho(1c), rwhod(8c)

ruptime(1c)