Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: First Script Syntax Error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting First Script Syntax Error Post 302948301 by RudiC on Sunday 28th of June 2015 01:49:24 PM
Old 06-28-2015
Some comments on your code snippet:
Code:
files=(ls *.mp3)                # this will define & assign an array: (ls a.mp3 b.mp3 c.mp3 ...). You'd need to use it like an array in the for loop, then. 
                                # you might prefer command substitution: files=$(ls *.mp3)
                                # or let the shell do the work for you: files=*.mp3
for song in $files              # this will expand to the first array element: ls. If you want the .mp3 files as well, use array expansion: ${files[@]} if you don't like above proposals
 echo "${song%%*(.mp3)}"        # Why the * and the parentheses? You want to remove nothing but ".mp3", and once only, so one "%" is sufficient
 touch "${song%%*(.mp3)}"       # "${song%.mp3}" will do the job for you. "%*.mp3"  would erase the entire file name, the parentheses can't be matched
                                # and thus stop the expansion.  
                                # You are right in double quoting the file names which will handle spaces in file names, then.
done

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in a script...

Hi All, I have been fighting with a syntax error for the last 2 days, still haven't got the solution. Could you please help me, your help will be greatly appreciated. In my script I am getting a error in a for loop, its similar to the one as is below. for v_id in v1 v2 v3 v4 do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajus19
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in script !!

./disk_space_util.sh ./disk_space_util.sh: Syntax error at line 24 : `then' is not expected. ================================= cat disk_space_util.sh #!/bin/sh # # Parameter Settings ORA_LOG, ORA_SCRIPT, DBA_EMAIL_LIST -- (Set in .profile) bdf | sed "s/%/ /g" | sed "/Filesystem/d" |... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuser
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in script

I get this error when I try to run my script (BTW, this is a simple script I am supposed to write for my class) $ menuscript menuscript: syntax error at line 89 : `"' unmatched $ Here is the code (Any help is greatly appreciated) (Line numbers included) 1 #!/bin/ksh 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KindHead
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error with a script

Hi I not sure what is wrong with my script... when I try to run it I get the follow error: "remove: syntax error at line 77: `end of file' unexpected" Thanks in advance for any help. ans=y while do while : do echo "Please enter a name that you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsonjr
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in script

Hey guys keep having problems with the below script syntax error near unpexpected token '0' exit 0 I have two directorys backups and Usr in the usr i have sub dir's wp,ss,pic which i would like to back up (copy those directorys to the backups directory) with user acknowledgement from command line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spartukus
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Error in Script

Hi All, I am new to Unix, I have written the following script in ksh and get a syntax error :wall:. I need some help to figure out the error and reason. The script below uses some variables from an environment file, also it executes a sql file. The sql file is correct and has no problems. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disshort23
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Syntax Error Script

Hi guys i'd like to show you this code of my script, where i couldn't find this error " #! /bin/bash #copiabin.sh: copia todos los archivos ejecutables a bin if then mkdir $HOME/bin fi # copia de archivos y contador N N=0 for ARCH in * do if # Si el archivo es... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax error on script

Evening All (or morning for some), Could anyone have a look at the below and advise where i've going wrong with the syntax as i keep getting the below error while trying to run. Any help would be really apprecaited. ./testout: line 13: syntax error near unexpected token `else' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
4 Replies
AnyData::Format::Mp3(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 AnyData::Format::Mp3(3pm)

NAME
AnyData::Format::Mp3 - tied hash and DBI access to Mp3 files SYNOPSIS
use AnyData; my $playlist = adTie( 'Passwd', ['c:/My Music/'] ); while (my $song = each %$playlist){ print $song->{artist} if $song->{genre} eq 'Reggae' } OR use DBI my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:AnyData:'); $dbh->func('playlist','Mp3,['c:/My Music'],'ad_catalog'); my $playlist = $dbh->selectall_arrayref( qq{ SELECT artist, title FROM playlist WHERE genre = 'Reggae' }); # ... other DBI/SQL operations DESCRIPTION
This module provides a tied hash interface and a DBI/SQL interface to MP files. It creates an in-memory database or hash from the Mp3 files themselves without actually creating a separate database file. This means that the database is automatically updated just by moving files in or out of the directories. Many mp3 (mpeg three) music files contain a header describing the song name, artist, and other information about the music. Simply choose 'Mp3' as the format and give a reference to an array of directories containing mp3 files. Each file in those directories will become a record containing the fields: song artist album year genre filename filesize This module is a submodule of the AnyData.pm and DBD::AnyData.pm modules. Refer to their documentation for further details. AUTHOR &; COPYRIGHT copyright 2000, Jeff Zucker <jeff@vpservices.com> all rights reserved perl v5.10.1 2004-08-17 AnyData::Format::Mp3(3pm)