Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages
Operating Systems AIX UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages Post 302948257 by bakunin on Saturday 27th of June 2015 05:42:01 PM
Old 06-27-2015
It might pay to understand how the syslog works:

On one side you have applications (this is rather losely defined, system tools might be among them), which use system calls to issue messages. Messages are grouped by "facilities" (local, user, audit, ....) and "severity" (info, warn, crit, ...). Each message belongs to exactly one facility and one severity.

Syslog is a daemon - syslogd - which collects all these messages. The syslog.conf file describes what syslogd should do with them: write them to a (certain) file, ignore them or send them to a remote destination. Notice, that the severity levels are ordered. Every rule for a certain level also affects all higher severities. Let us analyze your own example:

Code:
local0.crit /dev/console
local0.info /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log

This means: all messages from the "local0" facility with severity "info" or higher ("info" the second-lowest severity, "debug" the lowest) go to the file /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log. The messages from the "local0" facility with severity "crit" and higher also go the the system console and you will see them when you open the console from the HMC.

What exactly causes a certain message to be issued is a decision of the respective application: it issues a message and says this should go to facility "this" and with severity "that". Syslog then only collects this message and consults its rulebook syslog.conf about what to do with it.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 06-27-2015 at 06:47 PM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system messages log (Sun and AIX)

Hello, I need a few explanation about the log files for system messages: /var/adm/messages and /var/log/syslog. As /var/adm/messages is empty on my machine, i need help. First, i would like to know what the difference between these 2 files is? Do they contain different kinds of system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
3 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.2 Syslog : Help needed

Hi all, I am trying to get the authentication logs of FTP,Telnet,SSH,inetd from the syslog file. But my output for every type of authentications - success & failure keep differing everytime i view them. The output does not show the priority code (emerg, or 0, in any case). How do I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamadana
0 Replies

3. Solaris

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix?

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix? I want to study unix system ? Anyone tell me which is the best? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac2008
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX auto delete old mail messages

We have had an issue where the mail file filled up. Is there a setting in sendmail.cf to automatically remove old emails? Say after 14 days. If not is there any way automatically to delete older mail files?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Syslog login/logout User

Hi, i'm trying to configure /etc/syslog.conf for log user access. In debian i add: auth,authpriv.* @serverName I don't know the correct Aix syntax for syslog :( My @serverName get the log successfully.. I need to log correct/incorrect login attempts. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankBuck
5 Replies

6. AIX

Forwarding AIX syslog/errorlog to remote SQL DB

Due to a project I'm currently tasked with I'm spending my time trying to find a way to forward the syslog to a remote, in this case Red Hat, server and squeezing it into a SQL DB. Rsyslog is doing this job quite nicely for most of our test-servers, but I couldn't find any reliable information on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skleindl
1 Replies

7. AIX

Get Next month in AIX from curent date in unix AIX

How could we derive teh Next month in MON-RR format from current date ie sysdate in UNI AIX sheel script.I coould get a command but i supports only inLinux susse andnotin AIX. I need for Unix AIX.Pls Help. Regards Shiv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SHIV75
2 Replies

8. AIX

I see some errors in syslog files in AIX. can these be ignored ?

Hello, Could you please check the below errors. I found these errors in AIX LPAR syslogs. auth|security:err|error sshd error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key daemon:err|error syslog: slp: 0660-059 Impossible to get local interface for distant address 10.x.x.x. errno... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Syslog where the hostname sit

Dear all experts, I would like to know where can I find the hostname located as when I receive the syslog, I can only see as below : (showing in localhost instead of the hostname) Feb 6 15:31:31 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb 6 15:31:50 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
13 Replies

10. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
SYSLOG.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    SYSLOG.CONF(5)

NAME
syslog.conf -- syslogd(8) configuration file DESCRIPTION
The syslog.conf file is the configuration file for the syslogd(8) program. It consists of lines with two fields: the selector field which specifies the types of messages and priorities to which the line applies, and an action field which specifies the action to be taken if a message syslogd receives matches the selection criteria. The selector field is separated from the action field by one or more tab charac- ters. The Selectors function are encoded as a facility, a period (``.''), and a level, with no intervening white-space. Both the facility and the level are case insensitive. The facility describes the part of the system generating the message. Legacy facility names are: auth, authpriv, cron, daemon, kern, lpr, mail, mark, news, syslog, user, uucp and local0 through local7. These keywords (with the exception of mark) correspond to the similar ``LOG_'' values specified to the openlog(3) and syslog(3) library routines. Apple System Log (ASL) messages, sent using the asl(3) library routines permit the facility name to be an arbitrary string, although users of the system are encouraged to use a ``reverse ICANN'' naming convention, for example ``com.apple.system.syslog''. Since these facility names may contain dot characters, the names may be enclosed in either singe quote or double quote characters. If facility is terminated by an asterisk (``*''), then facility names are matched using the prefix characters preceeding the asterisk. For example, ``'com.apple.abc.*''' matches any facility with the prefix ``com.apple.abc.''. These wildcard facility names typically must be enclosed in single or double quotes characters. The level describes the severity of the message, and is a keyword from the following ordered list (higher to lower): emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info and debug. These keywords correspond to the similar (LOG_) values specified to the syslog library routine. See syslog(3) for a further descriptions of both the facility and level keywords and their significance. If a received message matches the specified facility and is of the specified level (or a higher level), the action specified in the action field will be taken. Multiple selectors may be specified for a single action by separating them with semicolon (``;'') characters. It is important to note, how- ever, that each selector can modify the ones preceding it. Multiple facilities may be specified for a single level by separating them with comma (``,'') characters. An asterisk (``*'') can be used to specify all facilities or all levels. The special facility ``mark'' receives a message at priority ``info'' every 20 minutes (see syslogd(8)). This is not enabled by a facility field containing an asterisk. The special level ``none'' disables a particular facility. The action field of each line specifies the action to be taken when the selector field selects a message. There are four forms: o A pathname (beginning with a leading slash). Selected messages are appended to the file. o A hostname (preceded by an at (``@'') sign). Selected messages are forwarded to the syslogd program on the named host. o A comma separated list of users. Selected messages are written to those users if they are logged in. o An asterisk. Selected messages are written to all logged-in users. Blank lines and lines whose first non-blank character is a hash (``#'') character are ignored. EXAMPLES
A configuration file might appear as follows: # Log all kernel messages, authentication messages of # level notice or higher and anything of level err or # higher to the console. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none /dev/console # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none /var/log/messages # The authpriv file has restricted access. authpriv.* /var/log/secure # Log all the mail messages in one place. mail.* /var/log/maillog # Everybody gets emergency messages, plus log them on another # machine. *.emerg * *.emerg @arpa.berkeley.edu # Root and Eric get alert and higher messages. *.alert root,eric # Save mail and news errors of level err and higher in a # special file. uucp,news.crit /var/log/spoolerr FILES
/etc/syslog.conf The syslogd(8) configuration file. BUGS
The effects of multiple selectors are sometimes not intuitive. For example ``mail.crit,*.err'' will select ``mail'' facility messages at the level of ``err'' or higher, not at the level of ``crit'' or higher. SEE ALSO
asl(3), syslog(3), syslogd(8) HISTORY
The syslog.conf file appeared in 4.3BSD, along with syslogd(8). BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD