Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Two questions on find with rm command Post 302948220 by Peasant on Saturday 27th of June 2015 12:39:01 AM
Old 06-27-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K

I ran an ls command from within find using \; and + variants as shown below.
Both seems to return same results. If \; variant is slow , then why do people even use it ?
People use it if external utilities cannot accept multiple arguments or if they need to parse line by line in while / for loops.

Also, a good advice is to organize your files in directories.
Having millions of files in one directory will never be fast.

Hope that clears things out.
Regards
Peasant.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix command questions?

I read the description of the less command and I'm puzzled that it says you can go backwards while using more(1). I created a large file and when I run the more command on it I can move forward with the spacebar and move backward with the letter 'b'. Granted, the less command has more command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dummy questions about how to get the size of a directory by command

Hi, 'ls -ld' is no use .... I want to get the total size of a directory including subdir. Any advice? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have a questions about mail command

Any possibility to send a mail to internal mail using mail command? i am using fedora7. Example: username@192.168.1.1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: btech_raju
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions on GREP command

Hi, Is it possible to display a specific number of lines starting from a line having a particular text using grep command? e.g. I have a text file with the contents below: AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF I want to display 3 lines starting with the line having "BBB" to get the result below:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command questions

Hi, can anyone answer the following questions? 1.How do you check for particular exception in a growing log file? 2.How do you terminate a long running process? What if there are multiple instances running? Thanks James (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james94538
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

More find command questions

Last week I was helped in finding certain filenames and removing them using the following command and it worked fine. find /path/to/files -name 'WQ*' -type f -exec rm -f {} \; This week, I need to find certain characters within a certain file. For example, I need to find scripts that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

7. Solaris

2 questions regarding the WGET command

I'm using the "wget" command to get the date from Yahoo.com. So this is what I use on Solaris: /usr/sfw/bin/wget --timeout=3 -S Yahoo! This works well when my computer is linked to the Net. But when it's not, this command just hangs. I thought putting the timemout = 3 will make this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie09
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions about the crypt command

hi all, My aim is to encrypt a file using 'crypt' command. Which is the package I need to install to get this command work? (because it says, crypt: command not found ) I'm working on a NetBSD 3.1 machine.. please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renjumc
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command, "basic" questions

find $HOME \ ( \( -name ´*.bak´ -ctime +20 \) -o \ \( -size 0 -user kurs00 \) \) -exec rm -i {} \; -print this is the syntax, i know what -name, -ctime and so on means, but i don't know what the -o or the \\ or the () or the {} mean. Can someone please explain? I searched the internet, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. Nick
4 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2012-05-19 DH_COMPRESS(1)