Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages
Operating Systems AIX UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages Post 302948155 by rbatte1 on Friday 26th of June 2015 07:42:42 AM
Old 06-26-2015
Although I don't want to just say "Read the manuals", the manual page has a good description of all the configuration options.

There isn't an AIX one on this site, but you can read this:- Solaris syslog.conf manual

The IBM one (depending on version) can be found here:- AIX 6 syslog.conf manual

It really depends what you are trying to achieve and at what detail. You can get too much and struggle to cope (disk space, too much to filter etc.) so can you define what you need and we can work on the best options from there.

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 06-26-2015 at 08:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system messages log (Sun and AIX)

Hello, I need a few explanation about the log files for system messages: /var/adm/messages and /var/log/syslog. As /var/adm/messages is empty on my machine, i need help. First, i would like to know what the difference between these 2 files is? Do they contain different kinds of system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
3 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.2 Syslog : Help needed

Hi all, I am trying to get the authentication logs of FTP,Telnet,SSH,inetd from the syslog file. But my output for every type of authentications - success & failure keep differing everytime i view them. The output does not show the priority code (emerg, or 0, in any case). How do I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamadana
0 Replies

3. Solaris

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix?

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix? I want to study unix system ? Anyone tell me which is the best? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac2008
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX auto delete old mail messages

We have had an issue where the mail file filled up. Is there a setting in sendmail.cf to automatically remove old emails? Say after 14 days. If not is there any way automatically to delete older mail files?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Syslog login/logout User

Hi, i'm trying to configure /etc/syslog.conf for log user access. In debian i add: auth,authpriv.* @serverName I don't know the correct Aix syntax for syslog :( My @serverName get the log successfully.. I need to log correct/incorrect login attempts. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankBuck
5 Replies

6. AIX

Forwarding AIX syslog/errorlog to remote SQL DB

Due to a project I'm currently tasked with I'm spending my time trying to find a way to forward the syslog to a remote, in this case Red Hat, server and squeezing it into a SQL DB. Rsyslog is doing this job quite nicely for most of our test-servers, but I couldn't find any reliable information on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skleindl
1 Replies

7. AIX

Get Next month in AIX from curent date in unix AIX

How could we derive teh Next month in MON-RR format from current date ie sysdate in UNI AIX sheel script.I coould get a command but i supports only inLinux susse andnotin AIX. I need for Unix AIX.Pls Help. Regards Shiv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SHIV75
2 Replies

8. AIX

I see some errors in syslog files in AIX. can these be ignored ?

Hello, Could you please check the below errors. I found these errors in AIX LPAR syslogs. auth|security:err|error sshd error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key daemon:err|error syslog: slp: 0660-059 Impossible to get local interface for distant address 10.x.x.x. errno... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Syslog where the hostname sit

Dear all experts, I would like to know where can I find the hostname located as when I receive the syslog, I can only see as below : (showing in localhost instead of the hostname) Feb 6 15:31:31 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb 6 15:31:50 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
13 Replies

10. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
Razor2::Syslog(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Razor2::Syslog(3pm)

NAME
Razor2::Syslog -- Syslog support for Razor2 SYNOPSIS
use Razor2::Syslog; my $s=new Razor2::Syslog(Facility=>'local4',Priority=>'debug'); $s->send('see this in syslog',Priority=>'info'); DESCRIPTION
This module has been derived from Net::Syslog. Some optimizations were made to Net::Syslog, in particular support for keeping a socket open. What follows is the documentation for Net::Syslog, which completely applies to this module. Net::Syslog implements the intra-host syslog forwarding protocol. It is not intended to replace the Sys::Syslog or Unix::Syslog modules, but instead to provide a method of using syslog when a local syslogd is unavailable or when you don't want to write syslog messages to the local syslog. The new call sets up default values, any of which can be overridden in the send call. Keys (listed with default values) are: Name <calling script name> Facility local5 Priority err SyslogPort 514 SyslogHost 127.0.0.1 Valid Facilities are: kern, user, mail, daemon, auth, syslog, lpr, news, uucp, cron, authpriv, ftp, local0, local1, local2, local3, local4, local5, local6 Valid Priorities are: emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, debug AUTHOR
Les Howard, les@lesandchris.com Vipul Ved Prakash, mail@vipul.net SEE ALSO
syslog(3), Sys::Syslog(3), syslogd(8), Unix::Syslog(3), IO::Socket, perl(1) perl v5.14.2 2005-05-09 Razor2::Syslog(3pm)