Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages
Operating Systems AIX UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages Post 302948145 by Bersecul on Friday 26th of June 2015 06:47:08 AM
Old 06-26-2015
IBM UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages

Dear Community,

I have just registered to the forum, and I am very glad I have joined.

I have a question about the syslog logging facility.

I am doing a security assessment for some servers that run on AIX. The admins have set up a syslog server and the following parameters are enabled in syslog.conf:

Code:
local0.crit /dev/console
local0.info /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log
user.notice /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log
daemon.notice /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log

How can I know in detail (everything that is logged, not just a general description) which actions are being logged, by the syslog service on the syslog server?

Thank you!

Last edited by rbatte1; 06-26-2015 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: CODE tags added for file content.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system messages log (Sun and AIX)

Hello, I need a few explanation about the log files for system messages: /var/adm/messages and /var/log/syslog. As /var/adm/messages is empty on my machine, i need help. First, i would like to know what the difference between these 2 files is? Do they contain different kinds of system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
3 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.2 Syslog : Help needed

Hi all, I am trying to get the authentication logs of FTP,Telnet,SSH,inetd from the syslog file. But my output for every type of authentications - success & failure keep differing everytime i view them. The output does not show the priority code (emerg, or 0, in any case). How do I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamadana
0 Replies

3. Solaris

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix?

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix? I want to study unix system ? Anyone tell me which is the best? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac2008
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX auto delete old mail messages

We have had an issue where the mail file filled up. Is there a setting in sendmail.cf to automatically remove old emails? Say after 14 days. If not is there any way automatically to delete older mail files?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Syslog login/logout User

Hi, i'm trying to configure /etc/syslog.conf for log user access. In debian i add: auth,authpriv.* @serverName I don't know the correct Aix syntax for syslog :( My @serverName get the log successfully.. I need to log correct/incorrect login attempts. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankBuck
5 Replies

6. AIX

Forwarding AIX syslog/errorlog to remote SQL DB

Due to a project I'm currently tasked with I'm spending my time trying to find a way to forward the syslog to a remote, in this case Red Hat, server and squeezing it into a SQL DB. Rsyslog is doing this job quite nicely for most of our test-servers, but I couldn't find any reliable information on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skleindl
1 Replies

7. AIX

Get Next month in AIX from curent date in unix AIX

How could we derive teh Next month in MON-RR format from current date ie sysdate in UNI AIX sheel script.I coould get a command but i supports only inLinux susse andnotin AIX. I need for Unix AIX.Pls Help. Regards Shiv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SHIV75
2 Replies

8. AIX

I see some errors in syslog files in AIX. can these be ignored ?

Hello, Could you please check the below errors. I found these errors in AIX LPAR syslogs. auth|security:err|error sshd error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key daemon:err|error syslog: slp: 0660-059 Impossible to get local interface for distant address 10.x.x.x. errno... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Syslog where the hostname sit

Dear all experts, I would like to know where can I find the hostname located as when I receive the syslog, I can only see as below : (showing in localhost instead of the hostname) Feb 6 15:31:31 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb 6 15:31:50 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
13 Replies

10. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
CLUSTER.CONF(5) 						      cluster							   CLUSTER.CONF(5)

NAME
cluster.conf - configuration file for cman and related daemons SYNOPSIS
/etc/cluster/cluster.conf DESCRIPTION
When cman_tool(8) starts the corosync(8) daemon, the cluster.conf data is read into the corosync in-memory database (confdb). The configu- ration is used by corosync, cman and other related cluster daemons and programs. When cman configures corosync with cluster.conf, the corosync.conf(5) file is not used. A basic cluster configuration is described below. Configuration options for other daemons/programs are described in their own man pages. ccs_tool(8) can be used to do some basic cluster.conf editing. The cluster.rng schema is used to validate cluster.conf. Unrecognized items will produce a warning during cluster startup, and invalid xml structure will cause the cluster startup to fail. See ccs_config_validate(8) and ccs_config_dump(8). Cluster The top level cluster section contains all other sections and has two required attributes: name The name of the cluster can be up to 15 characters long (16 including terminating null). It is important that this name be unique among clusters on the same network. config_version The config_version specifies the revision level of the file and should be increased each time the file is updated. <cluster name="alpha" config_version="1"> </cluster> Cluster Nodes The set of nodes that make up the cluster are defined in the clusternodes section which contains multiple clusternode sections. A clus- ternode has two required attributes: name The node name should correspond to the hostname on the network interface to be used for cluster communication. nodeid The node id must be greater than zero and unique. <cluster name="alpha" config_version="1"> <clusternodes> <clusternode name="node-01" nodeid="1"> </clusternode> <clusternode name="node-02" nodeid="2"> </clusternode> <clusternode name="node-03" nodeid="3"> </clusternode> </clusternodes> </cluster> Logging Cluster daemons use a common logging section to configure their loggging behavior. <cluster name="alpha" config_version="1"> <logging/> </cluster> Global settings apply to all: <logging debug="on"/> Per-daemon logging_daemon subsections override the global settings. Daemon names that can be configured include: corosync, qdiskd, groupd, fenced, dlm_controld, gfs_controld, rgmanager. <logging> <logging_daemon name="qdiskd" debug="on"/> <logging_daemon name="fenced" debug="on"/> </logging> Corosync daemon settings apply to all corosync subsystems by default, but subsystems can also be configured individually. These include CLM, CPG, MAIN, SERV, CMAN, TOTEM, QUORUM, CONFDB, CKPT, EVT. <logging> <logging_daemon name="corosync" subsys="QUORUM" debug="on"/> <logging_daemon name="corosync" subsys="CONFDB" debug="on"/> </logging> The attributes available at global, daemon and subsystem levels are: to_syslog enable/disable messages to syslog (yes/no), default "yes" to_logfile enable/disable messages to log file (yes/no), default "yes" syslog_facility facility used for syslog messages, default "daemon" syslog_priority messages at this level and up will be sent to syslog, default "info" logfile_priority messages at this level and up will be written to log file, default "info" logfile the log file name, default /var/log/cluster/<daemon>.log debug="on" a shortcut for logfile_priority="debug" EXAMPLE
An explicit configuration for the default settings would be: <logging to_syslog="yes" to_logfile="yes" syslog_facility="daemon" syslog_priority="info" logfile_priority="info"> <logging_daemon name="qdiskd" logfile="/var/log/cluster/qdiskd.log"/> <logging_daemon name="fenced" logfile="/var/log/cluster/fenced.log"/> <logging_daemon name="dlm_controld" logfile="/var/log/cluster/dlm_controld.log"/> <logging_daemon name="gfs_controld" logfile="/var/log/cluster/gfs_controld.log"/> <logging_daemon name="rgmanager" logfile="/var/log/cluster/rgmanager.log"/> <logging_daemon name="corosync" logfile="/var/log/cluster/corosync.log"/> </logging> To include debug messages (and above) from all daemons in their default log files, either of the following which are equivalent: <logging debug="on"/> <logging logfile_priority="debug"/> To exclude all log messages from syslog: <logging to_syslog="no"/> To disable logging to all log files: <logging to_file="no"/> To include debug messages (and above) from all daemons in syslog: <logging syslog_priority="debug"/> To limit syslog messages to error (and above), keeping info (and above) in log files (this logfile_priority setting is the default so could be omitted): <logging syslog_priority="error" logfile_priority="info"/> FILES
/etc/cluster/cluster.conf standard location of cluster configuration file /usr/share/cluster/cluster.rng standard location of cluster.conf schema SEE ALSO
ccs_tool(8), ccs_config_dump(8), ccs_config_validate(8), cman_tool(8), cman(5), qdisk(5), fenced(8), fence_node(8), dlm_controld(8), gfs_controld(8), rgmanager(8) cluster 2010-01-12 CLUSTER.CONF(5)