Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages
Operating Systems AIX UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages Post 302948145 by Bersecul on Friday 26th of June 2015 06:47:08 AM
Old 06-26-2015
IBM UNIX - AIX - Syslog messages

Dear Community,

I have just registered to the forum, and I am very glad I have joined.

I have a question about the syslog logging facility.

I am doing a security assessment for some servers that run on AIX. The admins have set up a syslog server and the following parameters are enabled in syslog.conf:

Code:
local0.crit /dev/console
local0.info /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log
user.notice /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log
daemon.notice /var/hacmp/adm/cluster.log

How can I know in detail (everything that is logged, not just a general description) which actions are being logged, by the syslog service on the syslog server?

Thank you!

Last edited by rbatte1; 06-26-2015 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: CODE tags added for file content.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system messages log (Sun and AIX)

Hello, I need a few explanation about the log files for system messages: /var/adm/messages and /var/log/syslog. As /var/adm/messages is empty on my machine, i need help. First, i would like to know what the difference between these 2 files is? Do they contain different kinds of system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
3 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.2 Syslog : Help needed

Hi all, I am trying to get the authentication logs of FTP,Telnet,SSH,inetd from the syslog file. But my output for every type of authentications - success & failure keep differing everytime i view them. The output does not show the priority code (emerg, or 0, in any case). How do I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamadana
0 Replies

3. Solaris

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix?

which is the best unix? solaris? aix ? hp-unix? I want to study unix system ? Anyone tell me which is the best? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac2008
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX auto delete old mail messages

We have had an issue where the mail file filled up. Is there a setting in sendmail.cf to automatically remove old emails? Say after 14 days. If not is there any way automatically to delete older mail files?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Syslog login/logout User

Hi, i'm trying to configure /etc/syslog.conf for log user access. In debian i add: auth,authpriv.* @serverName I don't know the correct Aix syntax for syslog :( My @serverName get the log successfully.. I need to log correct/incorrect login attempts. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankBuck
5 Replies

6. AIX

Forwarding AIX syslog/errorlog to remote SQL DB

Due to a project I'm currently tasked with I'm spending my time trying to find a way to forward the syslog to a remote, in this case Red Hat, server and squeezing it into a SQL DB. Rsyslog is doing this job quite nicely for most of our test-servers, but I couldn't find any reliable information on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skleindl
1 Replies

7. AIX

Get Next month in AIX from curent date in unix AIX

How could we derive teh Next month in MON-RR format from current date ie sysdate in UNI AIX sheel script.I coould get a command but i supports only inLinux susse andnotin AIX. I need for Unix AIX.Pls Help. Regards Shiv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SHIV75
2 Replies

8. AIX

I see some errors in syslog files in AIX. can these be ignored ?

Hello, Could you please check the below errors. I found these errors in AIX LPAR syslogs. auth|security:err|error sshd error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key daemon:err|error syslog: slp: 0660-059 Impossible to get local interface for distant address 10.x.x.x. errno... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Syslog where the hostname sit

Dear all experts, I would like to know where can I find the hostname located as when I receive the syslog, I can only see as below : (showing in localhost instead of the hostname) Feb 6 15:31:31 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb 6 15:31:50 localhost syslog:info syslogd: restart Feb... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
13 Replies

10. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
SYSLOG.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    SYSLOG.CONF(5)

NAME
syslog.conf -- syslogd(8) configuration file DESCRIPTION
The syslog.conf file is the configuration file for the syslogd(8) program. It consists of lines with two fields: the selector field which specifies the types of messages and priorities to which the line applies, and an action field which specifies the action to be taken if a message syslogd receives matches the selection criteria. The selector field is separated from the action field by one or more tab charac- ters. The Selectors function are encoded as a facility, a period (``.''), and a level, with no intervening white-space. Both the facility and the level are case insensitive. The facility describes the part of the system generating the message, and is one of the following keywords: auth, authpriv, cron, daemon, kern, lpr, mail, mark, news, syslog, user, uucp and local0 through local7. These keywords (with the exception of mark) correspond to the similar ``LOG_'' values specified to the openlog(3) and syslog(3) library routines. The level describes the severity of the message, and is a keyword from the following ordered list (higher to lower): emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info and debug. These keywords correspond to the similar (LOG_) values specified to the syslog library routine. See syslog(3) for a further descriptions of both the facility and level keywords and their significance. If a received message matches the specified facility and is of the specified level (or a higher level), the action specified in the action field will be taken. Multiple selectors may be specified for a single action by separating them with semicolon (``;'') characters. It is important to note, how- ever, that each selector can modify the ones preceding it. Multiple facilities may be specified for a single level by separating them with comma (``,'') characters. An asterisk (``*'') can be used to specify all facilities or all levels. The special facility ``mark'' receives a message at priority ``info'' every 20 minutes (see syslogd(8)). This is not enabled by a facility field containing an asterisk. The special level ``none'' disables a particular facility. The action field of each line specifies the action to be taken when the selector field selects a message. There are four forms: o A pathname (beginning with a leading slash). Selected messages are appended to the file. o A hostname (preceded by an at (``@'') sign). Selected messages are forwarded to the syslogd program on the named host. o A comma separated list of users. Selected messages are written to those users if they are logged in. o An asterisk. Selected messages are written to all logged-in users. Blank lines and lines whose first non-blank character is a hash (``#'') character are ignored. EXAMPLES
A configuration file might appear as follows: # Log all kernel messages, authentication messages of # level notice or higher and anything of level err or # higher to the console. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none /dev/console # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none /var/log/messages # The authpriv file has restricted access. authpriv.* /var/log/secure # Log all the mail messages in one place. mail.* /var/log/maillog # Everybody gets emergency messages, plus log them on another # machine. *.emerg * *.emerg @arpa.berkeley.edu # Root and Eric get alert and higher messages. *.alert root,eric # Save mail and news errors of level err and higher in a # special file. uucp,news.crit /var/log/spoolerr FILES
/etc/syslog.conf The syslogd(8) configuration file. BUGS
The effects of multiple selectors are sometimes not intuitive. For example ``mail.crit,*.err'' will select ``mail'' facility messages at the level of ``err'' or higher, not at the level of ``crit'' or higher. SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) HISTORY
The syslog.conf file appeared in 4.3BSD, along with syslogd(8). BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD