Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Downloading file from mainframe to UNIX Post 302948119 by vbe on Friday 26th of June 2015 02:51:20 AM
Old 06-26-2015
I will add that you havent mentionned the type of file either, mainframes use specific file formats, do you know if they have been adapted/converted to be usable under UNIX or will you have to do that after?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving file from Mainframe to Unix

Hi I m an absolute dummy on UNIX, I m basically a SAP guy. but I require a file which is stored on the mainframe to be moved to Unix application server. I got the following script to do it from someone #! /usr/local/bin/move_prom REMOTE_HOST=158.52.246.30 # Hostname of the remote Mainframe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaj_99
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mainframe assembler file into Unix

Hi, I have received a mainframe file ( VSAM file ) . I would like to handle that file in Unix. i.e I would like to take the last record of the file. I have given wc -l <file_name> , it gives 0 lines. Even though It has some lines , it is not giving count exactly. When I gave file <file_name>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thambi
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

ftp from unix to Mainframe

suppose i have a file named xyz(-1) and i have to transfer(ftp) it on a Mainframe from unix,how should i do it as whenever i try to do so it says use MVS naming conventions (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashishabhishek
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftp file from unix to mainframe

thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishabhishek
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command used for downloading file from net

Hi, Which command I can use to download a file from website? I tried with wget and lwp-dowload but no gain. Can any one suggest me the good way to dowload? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX sftp from mainframe

I have the following UNIX script which copies a file from a UNIX server in Canada to a UNIX server in the UK. LOG=/data/proj/sftp/canada.log DAT=`date "+%d/%m/%y %H:%M"` HOMEDIR=/data/proj/sftp TGTFILE=P_DATA.csv cd $HOMEDIR echo "\nStarting retrieval of Canadian Data at $DAT" >> $LOG ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mishnok
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mainframe to Unix. Huge file >5GB

Hi, The files are being zipped from mainframe to the UNIX server. I have to unzip huge files on AIX server which is too old. The UNZIP as well as gzip utility version is not able to handle it and if we have to install the latest version there is a lot of process which takes lot of process. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bijesh
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vb file from UNIX to mainframe

Hi Everyone, Do I need to provide record length as Record length + 4 when I'm transferring a variable block files from unix to mainframe through ftp? For example, I have a file in unix (ebcidic converted) with maximum record length of 100. This works correctly, quote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poova
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read variable length file on UNIX generated by Mainframe?

Hi All, We have variable block file generated on Mainframe. We have to process the file on unix. So we FTPed the file on binary (as it has packed decimal fields). but i don't know how to read the file on unix. As you know variable block file will have a data like record length followed by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SundarGampa
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Downloading hdfs file to local UNIX through UNIX script

Hi All , I am very new to unix script.I am aware of unix commands but never put together in unix script level.If any one can suggest me technical guidance in the below scenario that will highly beneficial. Data have been already migrated from mainframe to Hadoop file system(HDFS).HDFS server... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
15 Replies
SMBSPOOL(8)															       SMBSPOOL(8)

NAME
smbspool - send print file to an SMB printer SYNOPSIS
smbspool [ job ] [ user ] [ title ] [ copies ] [ options ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Samba suite. smbspool is a very small print spooling program that sends a print file to an SMB printer. The command-line arguments are position-depen- dent for compatibility with the Common UNIX Printing System, but you can use smbspool with any printing system or from a program or script. DEVICE URI smbspool specifies the destination using a Uniform Resource Identifier ("URI") with a method of "smb". This string can take a number of forms: o smb://server/printer o smb://workgroup/server/printer o smb://username:password@server/printer o smb://username:password@workgroup/server/printer smbspool tries to get the URI from argv[0]. If argv[0] contains the name of the program then it looks in the DEVICE_URI environment vari- able. Programs using the exec(2) functions can pass the URI in argv[0], while shell scripts must set the DEVICE_URI environment variable prior to running smbspool. OPTIONS
o The job argument (argv[1]) contains the job ID number and is presently not used by smbspool. o The user argument (argv[2]) contains the print user's name and is presently not used by smbspool. o The title argument (argv[3]) contains the job title string and is passed as the remote file name when sending the print job. o The copies argument (argv[4]) contains the number of copies to be printed of the named file. If no filename is provided than this argu- ment is not used by smbspool. o The options argument (argv[5]) contains the print options in a single string and is presently not used by smbspool. o The filename argument (argv[6]) contains the name of the file to print. If this argument is not specified then the print file is read from the standard input. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 2.2 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8) and samba(7) AUTHOR
smbspool was written by Michael Sweet at Easy Software Products. The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/ <URL:ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/>) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter 19 November 2002 SMBSPOOL(8)