Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO FATAL BOOT ERROR: Can’t load stage 3 Post 302948106 by BernP on Thursday 25th of June 2015 05:30:39 PM
Old 06-25-2015
HP FATAL BOOT ERROR: Can’t load stage 3

I'm under huge pressure to recover data from an old server that only gets booted very infrequently. The data on it is urgently required - isn't always??!
Server is an HP DL380G5 which is running SCO Unixware 7.11
It has 3 partitions in a RAID 5 Configuration: 1 of 10GB (I assume it boots off this one) and then 1 of 400GB and the last one is about 150GB. All partitions are marked OK.
The error on booting is “FATAL BOOT ERROR: Can't load stage 3”.
It does not have a FD drive only a CDROM drive.
I downloaded an ISO CD image from the SCO support site labelled UnixWare-7.1.4-June2008 ISO Image. In the hope that this will give me access to the OS where I could use my scripting skills to check for issues e.g. mount drives, run a fsck etc.
And I am able to boot off that but end up in a basic BCP - /stand - (which includes boot and unix files ) ... but from this point I'm not sure how to use it and therefore I'm not sure where to go from there ....
I would be very, very grateful for some quick step-by-step assistance for recovering the system - what to check for etc
Thanks in advance!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ld: fatal error

dear all , iam trying to compile a progam using gcc compiler on a sun 280 R machine running solaris 9 . iam getting an error in the last step when the compiler tries to link the objects , although the compiler executes some applicarions that contains no objects smoothly, the error that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot loader problem - can't load linux

Hi i have both Linux and Windows XP on my PC. i used to use grub as a boot loader and everything was perfect, until i reinstalled Windows. apparently, Windows installer installed its own bootloader, that doesn't recognize Linux. i tried using a tool called GrubInstaller for Windows, and now... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shx2
4 Replies

3. Programming

Fatal Error

Hi, I just pulled out my code from source control, then I compiled, the compilation is successful at that time. Then I modified one of the source file, Then I compiled, I got the following error ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ../../CM/bin/cato Before... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot-up failure: (Can't load swapgeneric)

zero experience Unix user here. Cannot boot our Sparc10. Running: SunOS release 5.3 Version Generic_Patch message says: (Can't load swapgeneric) Program terminated Tried to 'boot -s' , but this looks like a problem w/ Generic_Patch maybe? At bootup, the devices come up fine and it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: man_of_action
0 Replies

5. Solaris

boot load failed

I modified the partitions on my Solaris 10 disk using format command in "boot cdrom -s" mode and then tried rebooting with "reboot". It said "Boot load failed". Why does this happen? I have faced this error before:( and I went in for a fresh installation of the OS.Can anyone tell me the reason as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lydiaEd
1 Replies

6. SCO

stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem: not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot Knows someone howto solve it? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
16 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 won't boot up "Cannot load drivers for /pci@400.....

This is the error message that I am getting on a Solaris 10 sparc server scsi: no major number cannot load drivers for /pci@400..... Can't load the root filesystem Type 'go' to resume {0} ok Is there a way for me to correct this issue. It looks like I am missing a scsi driver to boot up... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinityforce
5 Replies

8. Solaris

FATAL: system is not bootable, boot command is disabled

Dear all, I Need your help,my server v240 with sun solaris 10 can't remote login.I try conncet via rsc and then go to OK prom....and i get the status : {1} ok boot -a FATAL: system is not bootable, boot command is disabled {1} ok boot cdrom -s FATAL: system is not bootable, boot command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredginting
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Fresh Install - Boot Load Failed

I have M10-1. Installation OS 10 from cdrom external. Here message from OK Prompt {0} ok probe-scsi-all /pci@8000/pci@4/pci@0/pci@2/pci@0/usb@4,1/cdrom@1 Unit 0 Removable Read Only device HL-DT-STDVDRAM GP65NB60 PF00 But.. {0} ok boot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbahjiman
3 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

PHP Fatal Errors During SSL Cert Management - PHP Fatal error: xc_fcntl_mutex failed

Today, I noticed some errors in our SSL cert renewal log files, mostly related to domains where the IP address had changed. Concerned about this, rebuilt out SSL cert, which normally goes well without a hiccup. However, for today, for some reason which I cannot explain, there was a PHP error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
FSCK(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   FSCK(8)

NAME
fsck -- file system consistency check and interactive repair SYNOPSIS
fsck [-Cdfnpvy] [-B | -F] [-T fstype:fsoptions] [-t fstype] [-c fstab] [special | node] ... DESCRIPTION
The fsck utility invokes file system-specific programs to check the special devices listed in the fstab(5) file or in the command line for consistency. It is normally used in the script /etc/rc during automatic reboot. Traditionally, fsck is invoked before the file systems are mounted and all checks are done to completion at that time. If background checking is available, fsck is invoked twice. It is first invoked at the tra- ditional time, before the file systems are mounted, with the -F flag to do checking on all the file systems that cannot do background check- ing. It is then invoked a second time, after the system has completed going multiuser, with the -B flag to do checking on all the file sys- tems that can do background checking. Unlike the foreground checking, the background checking is started asynchronously so that other system activity can proceed even on the file systems that are being checked. If no file systems are specified, fsck reads the table /etc/fstab to determine which file systems to check. Only partitions in /etc/fstab that are mounted ``rw'', ``rq'' or ``ro'' and that have non-zero pass number are checked. File systems with pass number 1 (normally just the root file system) are always checked one at a time. If not in preen mode, the remaining entries are checked in order of increasing pass number one at a time. This is needed when interaction with fsck is required. In preen mode, after pass 1 completes, all remaining file systems are checked, in pass number order running one process per disk drive in parallel for each pass number in increasing order. In other words: In preen mode all pass 1 partitions are checked sequentially. Next all pass 2 partitions are checked in parallel, one process per disk drive. Next all pass 3 partitions are checked in parallel, one process per disk drive. etc. The disk drive containing each file system is inferred from the shortest prefix of the device name that ends in a digit; the remaining char- acters are assumed to be the partition and slice designators. If the -t or -T flags are not specified, fsck will attempt to determine the file system type and call the appropriated file system check utility. Failure to detect the file system type will cause fsck to fail with a message that the partition has an unknown file system type. The options are as follows: -C Check if the ``clean'' flag is set in the superblock and skip file system checks if file system was properly dismounted and marked clean. -c fstab Specify the fstab file to use. -d Debugging mode. Just print the commands without executing them. Available only if fsck is compiled to support it. -f Force checking of file systems, even when they are marked clean (for file systems that support this). -n Causes fsck to assume no as the answer to all operator questions, except "CONTINUE?". -p Enter preen mode. In preen mode, only a restricted class of innocuous file system inconsistencies will be corrected. If unexpected inconsistencies caused by hardware or software failures are encountered, the check program will exit with a failure. See the manual pages for the individual check programs for a list of the sorts of failures that they correct when running in preen mode. -F Run in foreground mode. The check program for each file system is invoked with the -F flag to determine whether it wishes to run as part of the boot up sequence, or if it is able to do its job in background after the system is up and running. A non-zero exit code indicates that it wants to run in foreground and the check program is invoked. A zero exit code indicates that it is able to run later in background and just a deferred message is printed. -B Run in background mode. The check program for each file system is invoked with the -F flag to determine whether it wishes to run as part of the boot up sequence, or if it is able to do its job in background after the system is up and running. A non-zero exit code indicates that it wanted to run in foreground which is assumed to have been done, so the file system is skipped. A zero exit code indicates that it is able to run in background so the check program is invoked with the -B flag to indicate that a check on the active file system should be done. When running in background mode, only one file system at a time will be checked. Note that back- ground fsck is limited to checking for only the most commonly occurring file system abnormalities. Under certain circumstances, some errors can escape background fsck. It is recommended that you perform foreground fsck on your systems periodically and whenever you encounter file-system-related panics. -t fstype Invoke fsck only for the comma separated list of file system types. If the list starts with ``no'' then invoke fsck for the file system types that are not specified in the list. -v Print the commands before executing them. -y Causes fsck to assume yes as the answer to all operator questions. -T fstype:fsoptions List of comma separated file system specific options for the specified file system type, in the same format as mount(8). FILES
/etc/fstab file system table SEE ALSO
fstab(5), fsck_ffs(8), fsck_msdosfs(8), mount(8) BSD
May 23, 2014 BSD