Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract all the sentences from a text file that matches a pattern list Post 302948032 by Don Cragun on Thursday 25th of June 2015 02:06:40 AM
Old 06-25-2015
Is this a homework assignment? (If it is not homework, please explain why you need to do this!)

What have you tried to solve this problem?

How do you define "word"?

How do you define "sentence"?

Instead of having us assume that a class of words are not in your list, provide us with an actual sample of your "words list A"!

Is your real "words list A" case sensitive?

What operating system are you using?

What shell are you using? (Or, more importantly, what shells are you willing to use to solve this problem?)
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract if pattern matches

Hi All, I have an input below. I tried to use the awk below but it seems that it ;s not working. Can anybody help ? My concept here is to find the 2nd field of the last occurrence of such pattern " ** XXX ccc ccc cc cc ccc 2007 " . In this case, the 2nd field is " XXX ". With this "XXX" term... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
20 Replies

2. Programming

How to extract a sentences of word from a text file.

Hi , i have a text file that contain a story How do i extract the out all the sentences that contain the word Mon. in C++ I only want to show those sentences that contain the word mon eg. Monkey on a tree. Rabbit jumping around the tree. I am very rich, I have lots of money. Today... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xiaojesus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract unique pattern from large text file

Hi All, I am trying to extract data from a large text file , I want to extract lines which contains a five digit number followed by a hyphen , like 12345- , i tried with egrep ,eg : egrep "+" text.txt but which returns all the lines which contains any number of digits followed by hyhen ,... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: shijujoe
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract list of IP addresses from a text file.

I have an xml file with IP addresses all over the show. I want to print only the IP addresses and cut off any text before or after the IP address. Example: Note: The IP addresses (x.x.x.x) do not consistently appear in the xml file as per the pattern below. Sometimes there are text before... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blocks of text in a file - extract when matches...

I sat down yesterday to write this script and have just realised that my methodology is broken........ In essense I have..... ----------------------------------------------------------------- (This line really is in the file) Service ID: 12345 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sentence and its details from a text file based on another file of sentences

Hi I have two text files. The first file is TEXTFILEONE.txt as given below: <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract the whole set if a pattern matches

Hi, I have to extract the whole set if a pattern matches.i have a file called input.txt input.txt ------------ CREATE TABLE ABC ( A, B, C ); CREATE TABLE XYZ ( X, Y, Z, P, Q ); (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
dadadodo(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dadadodo(1)

NAME
dadadodo - exterminate all rational thought SYNOPSIS
dadadodo [ options ] [ input-files ] DESCRIPTION
dadadodo is a program that analyses texts for Markov chains of word probabilities and then generates random sentences based on those proba- bilities. Sometimes these sentences are nonsense, but sometimes they cut right through to the heart of the matter and reveal hidden mean- ings. OPTIONS
dadadodo accepts the following options: -c, -count n Generate n sentences. -h, -help Show summary of options and exit. -html Output HTML instead of plain text. -l, -load file Load compiled data from file ('-' for standard input). -o, -output file Save compiled data in file ('-' for standard output). -p, -pause s Delay s seconds between paragraphs. -w, -columns columns Format output for a device columns character cells in width. If not specified, the value of the environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the width. If that variable is not defined, a width of 72 is assumed. NOTES
Non-option arguments are input files. These should be text files, but may be mail folders or HTML. MIME messages are handled sensibly. When no output file is specified, sentences will be generated from the input data directly. However, loading a saved file is far faster than re-parsing the text files each time. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS Determines the width (in character cells) of the output if the -w, -columns option is not used. If not set, a width of 72 is assumed. SEE ALSO
dadadodo's upstream website is http://www.jwz.org/dadadodo/. AUTHOR
dadadodo was written by Jamie Zawinski. This manual page was written by Sudhakar Chandrasekharan <thaths@netscape.com>, based on the program's usage message. dadadodo(1)