Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to measure IOPS?
Operating Systems Solaris How to measure IOPS? Post 302947852 by achenle on Tuesday 23rd of June 2015 07:11:48 AM
Old 06-23-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretagi
The 7,000 IO ops/sec w/ a 20 ms response time its a spec coming from the application vendor documentation, the oracle setup I was told is ASM disks (one volume).
My suspicion comes from the fact, that when using the application (web based) it takes some time to display data, when entering the application, after login in, so its slow.

Are you looking for a way to drive IO operations on the applicable LUN(s) outside of using dd like this?

Code:
dd if=... of=/dev/null

Even if you do

Code:
dd if=/dev/rdsk/c6.... of=/dev/null bs=64k

that won't give you an accurate picture of random IO operations because dd reads sequentially, thus giving an inflated view of the number of IO ops the LUN can support.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU load unit of measure?

If unix says my cpu load is 2.15 exactly what does that mean? --Jason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mac J
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to tune kernel Parameters in Solaris 10,9 & how to measure performance

Hi, I want to tune my SUN servers for best performance. My servers are heavily loaded and used. They have Solaris 10. How to tune Kernel Parameters of solaris ? And How can I measue performance before changing parameters and after changing parameters ? Please help Thanks NeeleshG (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a command to measure compile speed?

Hello Ive written 2 programs in shell and I need to compare their speed (Compile) against one another. what methods could I go about doing this? Is there a feature in shell do accommodate this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darklight
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to measure g++ performance?

I am working on an application with some rather interesting build performance issues. If we build on Solaris/Linux x86/AMD64 the build is rather fast, but it takes more than five times as long on our Solaris Sparc servers (single-threaded builds on the workstations, but multi-threaded on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elric of Grans
5 Replies

5. Solaris

What exactly does 'zpool iostat' measure?

hi there, i'd like to know what exactly zpool's iostat (-v) output measure, especially the writes. Is it only the writes to the ZIL or all writes (including commmits) to the disks? if anyone knows, that'd be helpful roti (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rotunda
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Measure thread execution (in C, unix)

Hi, I have a simulation program which creates two threads and I would like to know if I can measure the time of each individual thread. Threads communicate (I use pthread to manage them) and I want to measure communication time. I found a solution with clock_gettime and CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tinkh
32 Replies

7. Solaris

Performance (iops) becomes bad, what is the reason?

I have written a virtual HBA driver named "xmp_vhba". A scsi disk is attached on it. as shown below: xmp_vhba, instance #0 disk, instance #11 But the performance became very bad when we read/write the scsi disk using the vdbench(a read/write io tool). What is the reason? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ForgetChen
7 Replies

8. AIX

How to measure waiting time in run queue?

Hello guys, I am doing a performance analysis on one of our psystem. Most of time I am using Nmon analyser to do my trend graph. But I can't find any help with it. We are interesting in the time spend by tasks in Aix run queue. After looking the Aix documentation, I am pessimist to find any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GiiGii
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)