Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search/grep on row and column wise Post 302947739 by RudiC on Sunday 21st of June 2015 01:30:35 PM
Old 06-21-2015
Try
Code:
awk -F,    '
FNR==1          {for (n=1; n<=NF; n++) {if ($n==COL) KEYCOL=n}
                 next
                }
$1==KEY         {print $KEYCOL}
'  KEY=CHICAGO COL=COUNTY   file
COOK

In case you have one parameter with the keywords separated by "&", try

Code:
awk -F,    '
FNR==1          {gsub (" ", "", KEY)
                 split (KEY, Karr, "&")
                 for (n=1; n<=NF; n++) {if ($n==Karr[2]) KEYCOL=n}
                 next
                }
$1==Karr[1]     {print $KEYCOL}
'  KEY="CHICAGO & COUNTY"   file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix addition ( Row wise)

Hi I have a file like a,1 b,2 d,3 a,2 b,3 c,7 Result Desired: a,3 b,5 d,3 c,7 i.e on the bases of 1st field the addition is done of the 2nd field and result printed out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row to column converter using Awk or grep?

Hello, Can someone please help me on this.:confused: I have a file which has more than 1 million lines (XML file). What I need is: Search for "abcd" in the input file > output the result into a output.txt (colloum1) Search for "efghi" in the input file > output the result in to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Needhelp2
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file column wise and delete it

i have a file which has a column that is unique i am intending to serach it and if it is there to remove the row. the file looks like ROLLNO,NAME ,SUB1,SUB2,SUB3,TOTAL,PERCENTAGE,RESULT 15 ,rig ,34 ,56 ,87 ,177 ,59 % ,PASS 23 ,wel ,45 ,76 ,56 ,177 ,59 % ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file column wise and delete it

Scottn, m really sorry but i have not got my answer yet. my concern is how to delete the row !!! i have a file which has a column that is unique i am intending to serach it and if it is there to remove the row. the file looks like ROLLNO,NAME ,SUB1,SUB2,SUB3,TOTAL,PERCENTAGE,RESULT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk-gsub on column-wise on each row

awk '{ gsub(/....=/,""); print }' want.dat >final.dat the above awk command which removes all the chars before and including '=' on the entire row. --thats what it meant be.:) but i need to remove text on column-wise on each row. many thanks, EM ---------- Post updated at 10:00 AM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search column and delete row if greater than value

Hi, as the title states i need to find a way to search a column for values great than 1000, and if it is, then delete that row. An example 1 7.021 6.967 116.019 4 U 6.980E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 0 0 0 2 8.292 7.908 118.063 3 U 1.440E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 821 814 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating row-wise standard deviation using awk

Hi, I have a file containing 100,000 rows-by-120 columns and I need to compute for the standard deviation for each row. Any idea on how to calculate row-wise standard deviation using awk? My sample data looks like this: input data: 23 35 12 25 16 17 18 19 29 12 12 26 15 14 15 23 12 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the column for a row

I have a problem caught and need to discuss with all you guys. I have a file containing a rows which are separated by “~” For eg. Server~321~UP~Linux~Member 121213~5778~Down~Unix~Provider I want to use the grep which search the row on the basis of columns like the grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print row wise

Hi Help, I have an I/p, which looks like --- FF GG HH I want the o/p to be like --- FF GG HH. How we can do that? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string in multiple files and display column wise

I have 3 files. Each of those files have the same number of records, however certain records have different values. I would like to grep the field in ALL 3 files and display the output with only the differences in column wise and if possible line number File1 Name = Joe Age = 33... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)