Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove a character and assign result to a variable Post 302947610 by KathyB148 on Friday 19th of June 2015 01:19:17 PM
Old 06-19-2015
I see num is the variable; what is junk?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk command result to a variable

#!/bin/sh # ## MYSTRING = `awk '/myApp.app/' /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist` if then echo String not found defaults write /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary -dict-add -string Hide -bool YES -string Path -string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dedmakar
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and assign each character from the string to a variable

How... can I read input by a user character by cahracter. And assign each character from the string to a variable? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tek-E
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the result of a SQL command to more than one variable in shell script.

Hi Friends... Please assist me to assign the result of a SQL query that results two column, to two variables. Pls find the below code that I write for assigning one column to one variable. and please correct if anything wrong.. #! /bin/sh no=' sqlplus -s uname/password@DBname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign result to variable

Hi friends, firstly, i can run following expression and i took 100 value. sqlplus -s username/password@TTTEST @umt.sql umt.sql exists "select t.deger from parametre t where t.id=30". result of this query =100 i need to assign this value(100) to variable(for example x... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assign SQL result in shell variable

Hi im trying to assign the result of the db2 command to a variable inside a shell script... : tab_cnt=`db2 "select count(*) from syscat.tables where tabname = 'ABC' and tabschema = 'MATT01'" |head -4|tail +4|cut -c 11` : echo $tab_cnt when i echo im getting a blank value.. im expecting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matt01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign the result of a multiline command to a variable

Hi, I have the following command that lists all the .o files from all the directories except of vwin (which I don't want it) for i in `ls -d */*.o|awk '$0 !~ "vwin"'`; do echo $i; done The result is something like that dir1/file1.o dir1/file2.o dir2/file3.o etc. So, I want to create a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scor6800
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign awk gsub result to a variable

Hello, I have searched but failed to find what exactly im looking for, I need to eliminate first "." in a output so i can use something like the following echo "./abc/20141127" | nawk '{gsub("^.","");print}' what i want is to use gsub result later on, how could i achieve it? Let say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print last character of hostname and assign to a variable ?

Hi How to pass echo output to a variable ? Does below awk command will get the last character of hostname and assign to a variable - "svr" ? svr=$( echo `hostname` | awk '{print substr($0,length,1)}' ) Thanks. Please use CODE tags when dsplaying code segments, sample input, and sample... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lim
7 Replies
namepool(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       namepool(4)

NAME
namepool - DHCP server database DESCRIPTION
The namepool database provides joind with names that are available for dynamic assignment to clients of the DHCP protocol. For each DHCP server and domain name (NIS or DNS), the database contains a collection of names available for allocation to DHCP clients within those domains. One name plays a distinguished role - it is used as a prefix when the pool has been exhausted. Names are generated from the pre- fix by appending a number, 1,2.., and a trailing 'd'. The namepool file is read whenever joind starts. Names within the database must not be allocated to hosts which are not DHCP clients, and if the administration of a domain is shared between several DHCP servers, the name- pools that each has must be disjoint. Names may be added and removed from the namepool file. If a name is removed from the file it remains bound to the client to which it was allocated; if no such binding is in effect the name is excised from the server's pool the next time the server starts. Once a name is dynamically bound to a host it will never be reused even if that host subsequently acquires a new name, but there is no need to remove it from namepool. FORMAT Blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign (#) are ignored. A new entry must begin in column one and has one of the following for- mats: domain server domain server name_prefix The domain variable is the domain in which the names which follow are assigned. The server variable is the name or IP address of the server in charge of allocating these names to clients. The prefix variable is the prefix that will be used when the pool is exhausted. Succeeding lines contain one or more names for domains that are to be allocated by the server. Each of these succeeding lines must begin with at least one white space character. FILES
/etc/join/namepool RELATED INFORMATION
joind(8), join.ipaddresses(4) delim off namepool(4)