Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove a character and assign result to a variable Post 302947606 by KathyB148 on Friday 19th of June 2015 12:56:01 PM
Old 06-19-2015
Remove a character and assign result to a variable

I am reading lines from a file that contain a number sign (#) before a three or four digit number:

Code:

I can remove the '#' and get just the number. However, I then want to assign that number to a variable and use it as part of a path further on in my program:

Code:
/mydir/10/1043 for example

print -n {$second#?} gives me the 1043 but I have been unsuccessful assigning this result to a variable - I tried company = {$second#?} but company has no value.

I'm new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 06-19-2015 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Add CODE AND ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk command result to a variable

#!/bin/sh # ## MYSTRING = `awk '/myApp.app/' /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist` if then echo String not found defaults write /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary -dict-add -string Hide -bool YES -string Path -string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dedmakar
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and assign each character from the string to a variable

How... can I read input by a user character by cahracter. And assign each character from the string to a variable? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tek-E
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the result of a SQL command to more than one variable in shell script.

Hi Friends... Please assist me to assign the result of a SQL query that results two column, to two variables. Pls find the below code that I write for assigning one column to one variable. and please correct if anything wrong.. #! /bin/sh no=' sqlplus -s uname/password@DBname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign result to variable

Hi friends, firstly, i can run following expression and i took 100 value. sqlplus -s username/password@TTTEST @umt.sql umt.sql exists "select t.deger from parametre t where t.id=30". result of this query =100 i need to assign this value(100) to variable(for example x... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assign SQL result in shell variable

Hi im trying to assign the result of the db2 command to a variable inside a shell script... : tab_cnt=`db2 "select count(*) from syscat.tables where tabname = 'ABC' and tabschema = 'MATT01'" |head -4|tail +4|cut -c 11` : echo $tab_cnt when i echo im getting a blank value.. im expecting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matt01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign the result of a multiline command to a variable

Hi, I have the following command that lists all the .o files from all the directories except of vwin (which I don't want it) for i in `ls -d */*.o|awk '$0 !~ "vwin"'`; do echo $i; done The result is something like that dir1/file1.o dir1/file2.o dir2/file3.o etc. So, I want to create a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scor6800
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign awk gsub result to a variable

Hello, I have searched but failed to find what exactly im looking for, I need to eliminate first "." in a output so i can use something like the following echo "./abc/20141127" | nawk '{gsub("^.","");print}' what i want is to use gsub result later on, how could i achieve it? Let say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print last character of hostname and assign to a variable ?

Hi How to pass echo output to a variable ? Does below awk command will get the last character of hostname and assign to a variable - "svr" ? svr=$( echo `hostname` | awk '{print substr($0,length,1)}' ) Thanks. Please use CODE tags when dsplaying code segments, sample input, and sample... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lim
7 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)