Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep command to ignore line starting with hyphen Post 302947552 by Srinraj Rao on Thursday 18th of June 2015 06:40:18 PM
Old 06-18-2015
Grep command to ignore line starting with hyphen

Hi,

I want to read a file line by line and exclude the lines that are beginning with special characters. The below code is working fine except when the line starts with hyphen (-) in the file.

Code:
for TEST in `cat $FILE | grep -E -v '#|/+' | awk '{FS=":"}NF > 0{print $1}'`
do
done

How should the grep statement be modified to ignore the line starting with hyphen?

Thanks
Srinraj

Last edited by Don Cragun; 06-19-2015 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of hyphen in #! line

In one script i have seen - in #! line can somebody explain the meaning of -(hyphen) here #! /bin/sh - (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a hyphen every 2 characters of every line

I have a text file like this with hundreds of lines: >cat file1.txt 1027123000 1027124000 1127125000 1128140000 1228143000 > all lines are very similar and have exactly 10 digits. I want to separate the digits by twodigit and hyphens....like so, > 10-27-12-30-00 10-27-12-40-00... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from a starting line till the end of the file

Hi Folks, I got to know from this forums on how to grep from a particular line say line 6 awk 'NR==6 {print;exit}' But how do i grep from line 6 till the end of the file or command output. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
3 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to remove text in each line after hyphen?

Hi, I'm trying to do something relatively simple. I have a txt file that has the following kinds of lines (and many more lines): CP19 Oahu - Maunawili Falls CP20 Oahu - Maunawili Falls AG12 Oahu - Maunawili Falls CP22 Oahu - Maunawili Falls, Local area AG14 Oahu CP141 KZ102 Kauai -... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
7 Replies

5. Ubuntu

starting Places->Networks at command line

Hi All I have UBUNTU 10.04 I would like to run at command line the gui application that I use for finding network places and navigate shared folders or network driver. I mean the one located under menu PLACES->NETWORK I tried using "nautilus" but you need to know in advance which IP to give and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore the 255 character limit of command line

Hi I would just like to ask if there is a way for UNIX to ignore/overcome the 255 character limit of the command line? My problem is that I have a really long line of text from a file (300+ bytes) which i have to "echo" and process by adding commands like "sed" to the end of the line, like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentgrecko
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep only line starting with....

Hello, I have a command that show some application information. Now, I have to grep there informations, like: # showlog | grep 1266 1266.1369866124 :: 1266.1304711286 :: 41031.1161812668 :: 41078.1301266480 :: 41641.712662564 :: 1266.333792515 :: 41462.1512661988 :: 1266.54932671... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies

8. SCO

Grep to ignore suffix & find end of line

In COBOL, a hyphen can be used in a field name and in a specific program some field names would be identical to others except a suffix was added--sometimes a suffix to a suffix was used. For example, assume I am looking for AAA, AAA-BBB, and AAA-BBB-CCC and don't want to look at AAA-BBB-CCC... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep file starting from pattern matching line

I have a file with a list of references towards the end and want to apply a grep for some string. text .... @unnumbered References @sp 1 @paragraphindent 0 2017. @strong{Chalenski, D.A.}; Wang, K.; Tatanova, Maria; Lopez, Jorge L.; Hatchell, P.; Dutta, P.; @strong{Small airgun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)