Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with looping through file contents Post 302947406 by mohtashims on Wednesday 17th of June 2015 07:10:52 PM
Old 06-17-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
I don't think that your output sample fits what your code snippet will print.
You might want to look into this and check if you could adopt and adapt:
Code:
awk '
/CAP/           {L=L ORS
                 for (i=1; i<=$2; i++) print ""
                }
/appname/       {print $2}
/^log/          {L=L $0 ORS}
END             {print L}
' $file
wonder1

wonder54

wonder11

logname78.log
logname88.log

logname28.log
logname58.log
logname54.log

logname92.log

I will test it tmr, however is that another way to get the desired output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating file contents using contents of another file

Hi, I am not sure how to start doing this so I hope to get some advice as to how to start. I have 2 files. The source file contains data that I needed is in columns delimited by ";". For example, in this format: "CONTINENT","COUNTRY","CITY","ID" "asia","japan","tokyo","123"... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
21 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While or For with looping contructs? to create files from contents of a text file

Hi so far I created this script: vi loop.beta.sh for i in `cat extract.filenames.tabc` do echo $i done>$i === This is the original text file. $ more tabc.txt -rwx------- 1 alice staff 1586 2010-11-05 02:27 request-key .conf -rwx------- 1 ted staff 126 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders My files are located in UNIX Server, i want to extract file_id and file_name from each file .and save it in a CSV file. How do I do that? I have folders in unix environment, directory structure is... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: princetd001
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping inside directories based on a file which contains file directory list

Hi All, Please help. I have got a file which contains a listing of a file and some directories after it, one by one. I am calling this file xyz.txt here file1 dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4 file2 dir5 dir6 dir7 dir8 file3 dir9 dir10 dir11 dir12 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Piyush Jakra
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping/Reading file contents not working

Hi, I am doing something basic, but I am missing something. Im trying to read the contents of a file and taking those values and connecting to a database. However, it only connect to one (or reads in) value and then exists. Here is what it looks like: listname.txt db1 db2 db3 Script:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBnixUser
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping through the contents of array for output name

Hi all, I am trying to loop through the string contents of an array, to add it during the saving of the output files. I am trying this code to print each column and save it to unique file name, but it doesn't work. Thanks for any help. fnam=(japan usa uk) alldata.dat contained sample data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies
Text::Context(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Text::Context(3pm)

NAME
Text::Context - Handle highlighting search result context snippets SYNOPSIS
use Text::Context; my $snippet = Text::Context->new($text, @keywords); $snippet->keywords("foo", "bar"); # In case you change your mind print $snippet->as_html; print $snippet->as_text; DESCRIPTION
Given a piece of text and some search terms, produces an object which locates the search terms in the message, extracts a reasonable-length string containing all the search terms, and optionally dumps the string out as HTML text with the search terms highlighted in bold. new Creates a new snippet object for holding and formatting context for search terms. keywords Accessor method to get/set keywords. As the context search is done case-insensitively, the keywords will be lower-cased. paras @paras = $self->paras($maxlen) Return shortened paragraphs to fit together into a snippet of at most $maxlen characters. as_text Calculates a "representative" string which contains the given search terms. If there's lots and lots of context between the terms, it's replaced with an ellipsis. as_html([ start => "<some tag>", end => "<some end tag>" ]) Markup the snippet as a HTML string using the specified delimiters or with a default set of delimiters ("<span class="quoted">"). AUTHOR
Original author: Simon Cozens Current maintainer: Tony Bowden BUGS and QUERIES Please direct all correspondence regarding this module to: bug-Text-Context@rt.cpan.org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Kasei This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. perl v5.10.1 2009-07-23 Text::Context(3pm)