Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for Deleting a process which exist every day in hold state Post 302947402 by RudiC on Wednesday 17th of June 2015 06:13:01 PM
Old 06-17-2015
That specification is very difficult to interpret. Some comments to improve:
- post the full error messages or strange behaviour in lieu of "did not work"
- post sample files (in code tags) instead of pictures so people can work on them
- explain what uncommon programs (sel? del?) do; give success and failure output

I don't know a thing about "direct" nor "sel proc". If the output of the latter is close to what you posted as an image, this might be a starting point for you to taylor and improve:
Code:
number=$(sel proc | awk '/^--*$/ {getline; print $2; exit} /Successfully/ {print 0; exit}')
[ "$number" -eq 0 ] && echo "no hold state" || del proc $number

0 is a PID that will never occur so it seemed quite safe to use as the "token" to convey success.. Killing processes by script is a delicate thing so you should know exactly what you are doing, and you might want to build in other safety steps.

Last edited by RudiC; 06-17-2015 at 07:23 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process State

If your process makes a system call, then while the system call code is being run in the kernel, is your process READY, RUNNING or BLOCKED? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ianlow
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Kill a particular process if it's over an hour hold

I meant old not hold :) I need to kill a process if it's over an hour old and then send an e-mail of the list that was killed.....? I need to kill ps -ef | grep stashd | grep ' older than an hour?' #! /bin/bash if test ps -ef | grep <stashd> (Is over an hour old)???? >>stashd_old.txt ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script (sh): state of ftp process

Hi guys, I'm writing a script in which I have to get file from a remote host by ftp. The problem is that the remote machine could be very slow, not connected or ok. To resolve this problem, I write this: echo "verbose on" > ftprap.cmd echo "prompt " >> ftprap.cmd echo "ascii"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: egiz81
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When a process will go to 'D' state?

I'm using "Linux hostname 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux" All the client machines will use Thin-client ,I will use my laptop for working and I will mount my home directory from server to my laptop. If I open the firefox in my laptop the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill process which is in hang state

Hi, Can anyone help to create a script that will kill the process which is in hang state. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A.Santhosh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the lines exist between the Mattched Patterns

Hi, I have a file with the content: for name in \ sree\ rama\ laila\ srihari\ vicky\ john do echo $name done I need to remove all the name lines that exist between for (first line) and do line so that i can replace with new names. Output file should look like: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a script for checking the state of a process

Hello Everyone, I have a process that should be always running. Unfortunately, this process is getting down almost every 10 minutes. I want to make a script that verify the state of this process: If the process is up, the script shouldn't do nothing and if it's down he should run it. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
Tcl_DoWhenIdle(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DoWhenIdle(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DoWhenIdle, Tcl_CancelIdleCall - invoke a procedure when there are no pending events SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DoWhenIdle(proc, clientData) Tcl_CancelIdleCall(proc, clientData) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_IdleProc *proc (in) Procedure to invoke. ClientData clientData (in) Arbitrary one-word value to pass to proc. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DoWhenIdle arranges for proc to be invoked when the application becomes idle. The application is considered to be idle when Tcl_DoOneEvent has been called, could not find any events to handle, and is about to go to sleep waiting for an event to occur. At this point all pending Tcl_DoWhenIdle handlers are invoked. For each call to Tcl_DoWhenIdle there will be a single call to proc; after proc is invoked the handler is automatically removed. Tcl_DoWhenIdle is only usable in programs that use Tcl_DoOneEvent to dispatch events. Proc should have arguments and result that match the type Tcl_IdleProc: typedef void Tcl_IdleProc(ClientData clientData); The clientData parameter to proc is a copy of the clientData argument given to Tcl_DoWhenIdle. Typically, clientData points to a data structure containing application-specific information about what proc should do. Tcl_CancelIdleCall may be used to cancel one or more previous calls to Tcl_DoWhenIdle: if there is a Tcl_DoWhenIdle handler registered for proc and clientData, then it is removed without invoking it. If there is more than one handler on the idle list that refers to proc and clientData, all of the handlers are removed. If no existing handlers match proc and clientData then nothing happens. Tcl_DoWhenIdle is most useful in situations where (a) a piece of work will have to be done but (b) it is possible that something will hap- pen in the near future that will change what has to be done or require something different to be done. Tcl_DoWhenIdle allows the actual work to be deferred until all pending events have been processed. At this point the exact work to be done will presumably be known and it can be done exactly once. For example, Tcl_DoWhenIdle might be used by an editor to defer display updates until all pending commands have been processed. Without this feature, redundant redisplays might occur in some situations, such as the processing of a command file. BUGS
At present it is not safe for an idle callback to reschedule itself continuously. This will interact badly with certain features of Tk that attempt to wait for all idle callbacks to complete. If you would like for an idle callback to reschedule itself continuously, it is better to use a timer handler with a zero timeout period. KEYWORDS
callback, defer, idle callback Tcl 7.5 Tcl_DoWhenIdle(3)