Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for Deleting a process which exist every day in hold state Post 302947402 by RudiC on Wednesday 17th of June 2015 06:13:01 PM
Old 06-17-2015
That specification is very difficult to interpret. Some comments to improve:
- post the full error messages or strange behaviour in lieu of "did not work"
- post sample files (in code tags) instead of pictures so people can work on them
- explain what uncommon programs (sel? del?) do; give success and failure output

I don't know a thing about "direct" nor "sel proc". If the output of the latter is close to what you posted as an image, this might be a starting point for you to taylor and improve:
Code:
number=$(sel proc | awk '/^--*$/ {getline; print $2; exit} /Successfully/ {print 0; exit}')
[ "$number" -eq 0 ] && echo "no hold state" || del proc $number

0 is a PID that will never occur so it seemed quite safe to use as the "token" to convey success.. Killing processes by script is a delicate thing so you should know exactly what you are doing, and you might want to build in other safety steps.

Last edited by RudiC; 06-17-2015 at 07:23 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process State

If your process makes a system call, then while the system call code is being run in the kernel, is your process READY, RUNNING or BLOCKED? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ianlow
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Kill a particular process if it's over an hour hold

I meant old not hold :) I need to kill a process if it's over an hour old and then send an e-mail of the list that was killed.....? I need to kill ps -ef | grep stashd | grep ' older than an hour?' #! /bin/bash if test ps -ef | grep <stashd> (Is over an hour old)???? >>stashd_old.txt ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script (sh): state of ftp process

Hi guys, I'm writing a script in which I have to get file from a remote host by ftp. The problem is that the remote machine could be very slow, not connected or ok. To resolve this problem, I write this: echo "verbose on" > ftprap.cmd echo "prompt " >> ftprap.cmd echo "ascii"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: egiz81
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When a process will go to 'D' state?

I'm using "Linux hostname 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux" All the client machines will use Thin-client ,I will use my laptop for working and I will mount my home directory from server to my laptop. If I open the firefox in my laptop the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill process which is in hang state

Hi, Can anyone help to create a script that will kill the process which is in hang state. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A.Santhosh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the lines exist between the Mattched Patterns

Hi, I have a file with the content: for name in \ sree\ rama\ laila\ srihari\ vicky\ john do echo $name done I need to remove all the name lines that exist between for (first line) and do line so that i can replace with new names. Output file should look like: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a script for checking the state of a process

Hello Everyone, I have a process that should be always running. Unfortunately, this process is getting down almost every 10 minutes. I want to make a script that verify the state of this process: If the process is up, the script shouldn't do nothing and if it's down he should run it. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)