Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk line instance counter
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk line instance counter Post 302947359 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 17th of June 2015 11:32:13 AM
Old 06-17-2015
Hello ajp7701,

I can see you said you are looking for exact string sysALive, but you showed in output as 3 when it comes sysAlive, so keeping this in mind and considering that it is not a typo. Following may help you then.
Code:
 awk '($0 ~ /sysA[lL]ive/){A++;print $0 OFS A;next} 1' Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
lineAAA a b c d x
lineBBB CCC DDD
lineEEE XYZ
this line contains the word sysALive 1
lineFFF aaa bbb ccc
lineGGG nnn nnn jjj
this line contains the word sysALive 2
lineHHH III J k L M n
line OOOPPPOOO
this line contains the word sysAlive 3
line thats enuff

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

WRT counter show me that line from a txt file

Hello Experts, I am beginner to C language.. I know I am making a simple mistake but I dont know what the problem here #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> int main(void) { FILE* fh; char s; int i; int count =10; double a,b; printf("COUNT=... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first instance(not first instance in line)

Alright, I think I know what I am doing with sed(which probably means I don't). But I cant figure out how to replace just the first occurance of a string. I have tried sed, ed, and grep but can't seem to figure it out. If you have any suggestions I am open to anything! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronHorse7
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the counter of a for loop in command line parameter

Say I have (in psuedocode) For i=1 to 10 tar cvfb /... 5*i /junk(i) end What I mean is that I want each successive for loop to have the block size parameter be 5 times the current counter. This isn't my actual code, just a stupid example...So the question is how do I descrive that parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append instance count to each line

Hello forum, I need help with a script for displaying the number of instances/times a particular line appears in a tab-delimited file and append that number to the end of the line. Example text file: aaa bbb ccc ddd ggg hhh kkk nnn aaa bbb ccc ddd aaa bbb ccc ddd ppp qqq nnn sss ggg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysean
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all but skip first instance in a line

I have a record like the one given below. 010000306551~IN ~N~ |WINDWARD PK|Alpharetta| If ~ is present more than instance in a line,then I need to delete those instances. Any ideas? I am working in Solaris (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed can you specify the last instance of a character on a line?

I was told a way to do this with awk earlier today but is there a way with sed to specify the last instance of a character on a line? You will know what character you're looking for but there could be none or one hundred instances of it on a line say and you ONLY want to specify the last one for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK counter problem

Hi I have a file like below ############################################ # ParentFolder Flag SubFolders Colateral 1 Source1/Checksum CVA 1 Source1/Checksum Flexing 1 VaR/Checksum Flexing 1 SVaR/Checksum FX 1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk repeats counter

if I wanted to know if the word DOG(followed by several random numbers) appears in col 1, how many times will that same word DOG* appeared in col 2? This is a very large file Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of fields then increment a counter reading line by line in a file

Hi, i have a scenario were i should compare a few fields from each line then increment a variable based on that. Example file 989878|8999|Y|0|Y|N|V 989878|8999|Y|0|N|N|V 989878|8999|Y|2344|Y|N|V i have 3 conditions to check and increment a variable on every line condition 1 if ( $3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Adding one counter loop at the end of each line in a file

Hello All, I have file a.txt I want to add a counter loop at the end of each line in a file ill explain: i have a site h**p://test.test=Elite#1 i want to add a a counter to the number at the end of the file, that it will be like this urlLink//test.test=Elite#1 urlLink//test.test=Elite#2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexsus
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)