Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing top few and bottom few rows in a file Post 302946820 by calredd on Friday 12th of June 2015 03:36:43 PM
Old 06-12-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Try:
Code:
awk 'NR>a+b{print A[NR%b]} {A[NR%b]=$0}' a=2 b=1 file

Thanks for the solution. It works as long as the a and b doesnt equal to 0. It is possible that we may not have to delete any top and bottom records and in that case the value for top and bottom rows will be 0.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a particular pattern and remove few lines above top and bottom of the patter

grep for a particular pattern and remove 5 lines above the pattern and 6 lines below the pattern root@server1 # cat filename Shell Programming and Scripting test1 Shell Programminsada asda dasd asd Shell Programming and Scripting Post New Thread Shell Programming and S sadsa ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a pattern from bottom to top.

Hi, I have a file, which is having a pattern "SEARCH" somewhere towards end of the file, if i am giving " grep -i "SEARCH" $File" , it is taking too much time as file is very big. So i want to search for the pattern from the back side of the file, how can we search for a pattern in bottom... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the bottom line of a file to the top of the file

Hi, i have a small requirement where i have to get the bottom most line from a file to the topmost position. a small example is shown below.. $ cat beep.txt It is first documented as being played in southern England. In the 16th century. By the end of the 18th century, Cricket is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shellslave
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing rows from a file

I have a file like below and want to use awk to solve this problem. The record separator is ">". I want to look at each record section enclosed within ">". Find the row with the 2nd and 3rd columns being 0, such as 10 0 0 I need to take the first number which in this case is 10. Then... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string and print top and bottom line

Hi Folks I need a one liner to parse through a log and if the string is found print the line above, the line with the string and the line below. example: The ball is green and blue Billy through the ball higer. Jane got hurt with the ball. So if I search for Billy I would need the 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bombcan
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Title bar top and bottom

Hello forum, Seems that only I have alot of questions regarding Ubuntu :D In Ubuntu 12.04 LTS the gnome I have been using gdm and lightdm. In lightdm the top and side bars are aka "unity" and can be removed using apt-get remove unity I need to do the same for menu bars gdm. I do not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print from bottom to top?

Hi, i have a file which contains PID and wanted to execute kill command. but the thing is, when killing PID's needs to kill PID from bottom to top. Please help INPUT 21414 sh -c extract.ksh ASA 21416 /bin/ksh extract.ksh ASA 21428 /usr/bin/perl -w /var/tmp/tempperl.21416 ASA... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicate Rows in a file

Hello I have a file with contents like this... Part1 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line1) Part2 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line2) Part3 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line3) Part1 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line4) Part4 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line5) Part5 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line6) Part2 Field2 Field3 Field4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekbaazigar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove top and bottom for each column

Dear All I was wondering if someone could help me in resolving an issue. I have a file like this: column1 column2 2 4 3 5 8 9 0 12 0 0 0 0 9 0 87 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 4 0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
2 Replies
XmDirection(library call)												 XmDirection(library call)

NAME
XmDirection -- Data type for the direction of widget components SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> DESCRIPTION
XmDirection is the data type specifying the direction in which the system displays subwidgets, children of widgets, or other visual compo- nents that are to be laid out. This data type also affects traversal order within tab groups. XmDirection is implemented as an unsigned char bit mask. The horizontal and vertical directions can be specified independent of each other. XmDirection also specifies the precedence of the horizontal and vertical directions relative to each other. For example, a value of XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_TOP_TO_BOTTOM lays out a component horizontally from right to left first, then vertically top to bottom. XmDirection provides the following masks, each of which corresponds to a particular bit in XmDirection: o XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_MASK o XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT_MASK o XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM_MASK o XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP_MASK o XmPRECEDENCE_HORIZ_MASK o XmPRECEDENCE_VERT_MASK In addition to the preceding single bit masks, XmDirection also provides the following multiple bit masks. These multiple bit masks are particularly useful as arguments to XmDirectionMatchPartial: o XmHORIZONTAL_MASK o XmPRECEDENCE_MASK o XmVERTICAL_MASK Motif also provides the following enumerated constants for specifying various combinations of directions: XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_TOP_TO_BOTTOM Specifies that the components are laid out from right to left first, then top to bottom. XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT_TOP_TO_BOTTOM Specifies that the components are laid out from left to right first, then top to bottom. XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_BOTTOM_TO_TOP Specifies that the components are laid out from right to left first, then bottom to top. XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT_BOTTOM_TO_TOP Specifies that the components are laid out from left to right first, then bottom to top. XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM_RIGHT_TO_LEFT Specifies that the components are laid out from top to bottom first, then right to left. XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM_LEFT_TO_RIGHT Specifies that the components are laid out from top to bottom first, then left to right. XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP_RIGHT_TO_LEFT Specifies that the components are laid out from bottom to top first, then right to left. XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP_LEFT_TO_RIGHT Specifies that the components are laid out from bottom to top first, then left to right. XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM Specifies that the components are laid out from top to bottom. If horizontal direction is important, do not use this constant. XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP Specifies that the components are laid out from bottom to top. If horizontal direction is important, do not use this constant. XmDEFAULT_DIRECTION Specifies that the components are laid out according to the default direction. (This constant is primarily for widget writers.) XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT Specifies that the components are laid out from left to right. If vertical direction is important, do not use this constant. XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT Specifies that the components are laid out from right to left. If vertical direction is important, do not use this constant. RELATED
XmDirectionMatch(3), XmDirectionMatchPartial(3), XmDirectionToStringDirection(3), XmString(3), XmStringDirection(3), and XmStringDirection- ToDirection(3). XmDirection(library call)