Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extremely slow file writing with many small files on mounted NAS Post 302946768 by bakunin on Friday 12th of June 2015 03:18:11 AM
Old 06-12-2015
There are only so many components involved, so the debugging should be straightforward:

How is the NAS connected to your system? I suppose it is an NFS-mount, no?

If so, the following has to be checked:

- network equipment: scp a larger file somewhere to test. Measure time.
- name resolution: put NAS server into /etc/hosts and have local files (=/etc/hosts) take precedence over DNS in /etc/resolv.conf
- mount options: look carefully how the FS from the NAS is mounted. Typical problems include CIO (concurrent I/O), user authentication via outside sources (i.e. user authorization via Kerberos and a slow, unresponsive Kerberos server) and the like.

- If you use NFSv4 (you shouldn't - it is crap) check the NFS-domain. It has to be set on every client and server.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File writing is slow

Hello Guru, I am using a Pro*C program to prepare some reports usaually the report file size is greater than 1GB. But nowadays program is very slow. I found out the program is taking much time to write data to file ..... is there any unix related reason to be slow down, the file writting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagyaraj.p
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help writing a small script

Hi I am trying to do the following: run a command that looks at a binary file and formats it find the first line that has what I am looking for (there will be multiple) print the name of the file that has it So I am running this but ti's not working ls -ltr *20080612* | while read line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into 16 small files

Hi I want to split a file that has 'n' number of records into 16 small files. Can some one suggest me how to do this using Unix script? Thanks rrkk (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrkks
10 Replies

4. Solaris

why telnet from PC to Solaris x86 is extremely slow?

I got the following info from this forum, in regards to configuring my Solaris x86 to link to the Net: # echo 192.168.0.1 > /etc/defaultrouter # route add default 192.168.0.1 # echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 >> /etc/resolv.conf # cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf So I did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie09
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

NFS writing so slow

Hi, I facing an NFS problem. I have machine1, which has diskA and diskB, and machine2, both are Mandriva 2009 Linux. When I am on machine2 and NFS mount both diskA and diskB of machine1. Writing to diskA is very fast, but writing to diskB is very slow. I tried different mount rsize and wsize... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiepng
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

file writing over nfs very slow

Hi guys, I am trying something. I wrote a simple shell program to test something where continuous while loop writes on a file over the nfs. The time taken to write "hello" 3000 times take about 10 sec which is not right. Ideally it should take fraction of seconds. If I write on the local disk, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhig
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if NAS filesystem is mounted

Anyone know the best way to check and see if a NAS filesystem is mounted on a linux box. I have no idea where to start :wall:. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3mon_spawn
2 Replies

8. Solaris

how to make nas share mounted in zones persistent across reboots?

there are few nas shares that would be mounted on the local zone. should i add an entry into the add an entry in zone.xml file so that it gets mounted automatically when the zone gets rebooted? or whats the correct way to get it mounted automatically when the zone reboots (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Chgrp failed on NAS mounted

Hi, I am facing chgrp issue for a directory on a NAS mounted partation. issue details : user1 belongs to two groups grp1(primary) and grp2(secondary) not able to change directory group to secondary. WORKING on /tmp #mkdir /tmp/a #ls -ld /tmp/a drwxr-xr-x 2 user1 grp1 117 Mar 24... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.surisett
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Related to "NAS" some file system (mounted volumes) were not writable

Dear friends, I have been facing an issue with one of my red hat unix machine, suddenly lost to switch sudo users. My all colleagues lost to switch to access sudo users. Then, we have realized its related to NAS issue which does not allowing to write the file. because of this we got so many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies
RADTEST(1)							 FreeRADIUS Daemon							RADTEST(1)

NAME
radtest - send packets to a RADIUS server, show reply SYNOPSIS
radtest [-d raddb_directory] [-t pap/chap/mschap] [-x ] [-4 ] [-6 ] user password radius-server nas-port-number secret [ppphint] [nasname] DESCRIPTION
radtest is a frontend to radclient(1). It generates a list of attribute/value pairs based on the command line arguments, and feeds these into radclient. It's a fast and convenient way to test a radius server. OPTIONS
-d raddb_directory The directory that contains the RADIUS dictionary files. Defaults to /etc/raddb. -t pap/chap/mschap/eap-md5 Choose the authentiction method to use. e.g. "-t pap", "-t chap", "-t mschap", or "-t eap-md5",. Defaults to "pap". Using EAP-MD5 requires that the "radeapclient" program is installed. -x Enables debugging output for the RADIUS client. -4 Use NAS-IP-Address for the NAS address (default) -6 Use NAS-IPv6-Address for the NAS address (default) user Username to send. password Password of the user. radius-server Hostname or IP address of the radius server. Optionally, you may specify a port by appending :port nas-port-number The value of the NAS-Port attribute. Is an integer between 0 and 2^31, and it really doesn't matter what you put here. 10 will do fine. secret The shared secret for this client. ppphint If you put an integer > 0 here, radtest (or actually radclient) will add the attribute Framed-Protocol = PPP to the request packet. nasname If present, this will be resolved to an IP address and added to the request packet as the NAS-IP-Address attribute. If you don't specify it, the local hostname of the system will be used. SEE ALSO
radiusd(8), radclient(1). AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl. 5 April 2010 RADTEST(1)