Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filter all the lines with minimum specified length of words of a text file Post 302946617 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 10th of June 2015 08:01:18 PM
Old 06-10-2015
A CLEAR statement of what you are trying to do, a sample input file (in CODE tags), and the output you want to get from that sample input file (in CODE tags) would make it a LOT easier to help you. Without that, I could suggest cat and cp as great starting points for your script.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

minimum password length

Dear frnds, how i can make the password 5chs minimum length in hp-ux 11i ? pls help regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove strings of lowercase characters (with minimum length requirement)

Hi all, I want to delete all lowercase characters from my file, but only strings of length 7 and more. For example, how can I go from: JHGEFigeIGDUIirfyfiyhgfoiyfKJHGuioyrDHG To: JHGEFigeIGDUIKJHGuioyrDHG There should be a trick to add to sed 's///g', but I can't figure it out.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbuzzo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data

hi all, I have this file with some user data. example: $cat myfile.txt FName|LName|Gender|Company|Branch|Bday|Salary|Age aaaa|bbbb|male|cccc|dddd|19900814|15000|20| eeee|asdg|male|gggg|ksgu|19911216||| aara|bdbm|male|kkkk|acke|19931018||23| asad|kfjg|male|kkkc|gkgg|19921213|14000|24|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimal
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display all the words whose length is equal to the longest word in the text

Hi Guys, I was going some trial and error to see if I can find the longest word in a text. I was using Pipes because they are easier to use in this case. I was stuck on this for a while so I thought I'll get some help with it. I tried this code to separate all the words in a text in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bawse.c
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter (by max length) only lines not matching regex

I have a large file of many pairs of sequences and their headers, which always begin with '>' I'm looking for help on how to retain only sequences (and their headers) below a certain length. So if min length was 10, output would be I can filter by length, but I'm not sure how to exclude... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter file by length, looking only at lines that don't begin with ">"

I have a file that stores data in pairs of lines, following this format: line 1: header (preceded by ">") line 2: sequence Example.txt: >seq1 name GATTGATGTTTGAGTTTTGGTTTTT >seq2 name TTTTCTTC I want to filter out the sequences and corresponding headers for all sequences that are less... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies
LINTIAN-INFO(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LINTIAN-INFO(1)

NAME
       lintian-info - give detailed information about Lintian's error tags

SYNOPSIS
       lintian-info [log-file...]

lintian-info --tags tag ...

DESCRIPTION
       The lintian-info command parses the output of the lintian command and gives verbose information about the listed Lintian error tags, parses
       a Lintian override file and gives verbose information about the tags included, or (if given the -t or --tags option) explains a given tag
       or tags.

If no log-file is specified on the command line, this command expects its input on stdin. Thus, the output of lintian can either be piped
       through lintian-info or a log file produced by lintian can be processed with this command.  (Note, though, that the lintian command has a
       command line option -i to display the same results as lintian-info, so you will not normally need to pipe the output of lintian into this
       command.)

OPTIONS
       -a, --annotate
	   Read from standard input or any files specified on the command line and search the input for lines formatted like Lintian override
	   entries.  For each one that was found, display verbose information about that tag.

-h, --help
	   Display usage information and exit.

--profile prof
	   Use the severities from the vendor profile prof when displaying tags.  If the profile name does not contain a slash, the default
	   profile for than vendor is chosen.

If not specified, lintian-info loads the best profile for the current vendor.

Please Refer to the Lintian User Manual for the full documentation of profiles.

-t, --tags
	   Rather than treating them as log file names, treat any command-line options as tag names and display the descriptions of each tag.

EXIT STATUS
       If -t or --tags was given and one or more of the tags specified were unknown, this command returns the exit code 1.  Otherwise, it always
       returns with exit code 0.

SEE ALSO
       lintian(1)

AUTHORS
       Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net>

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl>

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>

perl v5.14.2							    2013-02-16							   LINTIAN-INFO(1)