Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How To Count Fields For Cut?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How To Count Fields For Cut? Post 302946601 by sharingsunshine on Wednesday 10th of June 2015 03:52:51 PM
Old 06-10-2015
Thanks to all of you for getting me straight on cut and showing me what I was doing wrong.

I have been wanting to learn awk. If you know if a good tutorial please shoot me a link.

I'll avoid the smiley use for spaces in the future. I like the way you did it so I will use that form if needed next time.

Randal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count fields

Is there a way to count the no. of fields (columns) in a file? Actually I need to cut some fields starting from the middle to the end. How can I specify to cut till last field? thanks in advance :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut fields

I want to cut two coloums simulatiously and paste in some other file for ex: cut d ' ' -f3 -f4 xxx | paste yyy - > zzz; from the above i want to cut two fileds 3 and 4 and paste as last coloums of single file (zzz). how to solve this regards rajan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fast way to cut fields

I have a tab delimited file which has 90 fields and 15 million rows approximately... I need to cut the first 78 fields only and I am using the cut -f1-78 <filename> <outputfile> It is taking a lot of time... Is there a faster way of doing this? Can we use NAWK to gain better... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Last 3 Fields

I have a text: dsj khfksjdh <time> EST 2006 ab cgnr jkkjt <time> EST 2006 gfhdgjghg <time> EST 2006 fkdjh kjhsekjrh kdjhfkh jhdfkhfdkjh kjdf <time> EST 2006 In the above file i need to extract time from every line... which is always the third from the last... Pls help! Cheers, Bouren (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bourne
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut: get either one or two fields

Hello, I would like to extract one or two fields of a line. At the moment, I am extracting the first field of a line: command | cut -f 1 -d '.' > file The line can have two or three fields delimited with a dot. if three fields, I want to be able to get the first two ie if line =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut fields in file

Hi, I have data in following format. 10001, John, Daves, Architecture, -2219 10002, Jim, Cirners, Businessman, -2219 1003, Tom, Katch, Engineer, -14003 I want to select the last column of the above given file and paste it on a different file in the following manner. File TEST column... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut fields between delimiters

I'm having bother getting both lines contained in a file to output as the same value. A simple example: john:123456:123:456:doe john:123456:123:doe cut -d: -f1,4 input file john:456 john:doe ^ first line should be same as second. trick one for me, i know why it's because of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landofus
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)