Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How To Count Fields For Cut?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How To Count Fields For Cut? Post 302946383 by Scrutinizer on Monday 8th of June 2015 11:35:07 PM
Old 06-09-2015
If you use a space as a field separator with cut, and there are n spaces then there are n+1 fields, the first one being the one before the first space. If the required field is after 8 spaces, then that is field nr. 9 . So to get the value 200, you would need to use
Code:
cut -d ' ' -f9

Note that cut does not squeeze multiple occurrences of the characters, so every space, means a new space..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count fields

Is there a way to count the no. of fields (columns) in a file? Actually I need to cut some fields starting from the middle to the end. How can I specify to cut till last field? thanks in advance :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut fields

I want to cut two coloums simulatiously and paste in some other file for ex: cut d ' ' -f3 -f4 xxx | paste yyy - > zzz; from the above i want to cut two fileds 3 and 4 and paste as last coloums of single file (zzz). how to solve this regards rajan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fast way to cut fields

I have a tab delimited file which has 90 fields and 15 million rows approximately... I need to cut the first 78 fields only and I am using the cut -f1-78 <filename> <outputfile> It is taking a lot of time... Is there a faster way of doing this? Can we use NAWK to gain better... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Last 3 Fields

I have a text: dsj khfksjdh <time> EST 2006 ab cgnr jkkjt <time> EST 2006 gfhdgjghg <time> EST 2006 fkdjh kjhsekjrh kdjhfkh jhdfkhfdkjh kjdf <time> EST 2006 In the above file i need to extract time from every line... which is always the third from the last... Pls help! Cheers, Bouren (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bourne
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut: get either one or two fields

Hello, I would like to extract one or two fields of a line. At the moment, I am extracting the first field of a line: command | cut -f 1 -d '.' > file The line can have two or three fields delimited with a dot. if three fields, I want to be able to get the first two ie if line =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut fields in file

Hi, I have data in following format. 10001, John, Daves, Architecture, -2219 10002, Jim, Cirners, Businessman, -2219 1003, Tom, Katch, Engineer, -14003 I want to select the last column of the above given file and paste it on a different file in the following manner. File TEST column... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut fields between delimiters

I'm having bother getting both lines contained in a file to output as the same value. A simple example: john:123456:123:456:doe john:123456:123:doe cut -d: -f1,4 input file john:456 john:doe ^ first line should be same as second. trick one for me, i know why it's because of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landofus
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)