Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I need a "launch" icon
Operating Systems Linux I need a "launch" icon Post 302945928 by sea on Thursday 4th of June 2015 08:10:43 PM
Old 06-04-2015
Hi Tovian

I'm not a mod, but as far i understand your posts, consider:
Your post
  1. isnt about a scripting (code)
  2. is about how to create a desktoplink

One have to differ between a file-link or desktop-link.
What i'm talking about is something like this:
Code:
$ grep -ve Comm -ve "\[" $(locate firefox.desktop)

Code:
Version=1.0
Name=Firefox
GenericName=Web Browser
Exec=firefox %u
Icon=firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
Keywords=web;browser;internet;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.22

Of which you need to copy-paste (modify where required) the bold lines to a new file which you name like: myscript.desktop.
Then place that file on your desktop and double click it.

As you placed your script in a default directory, it is available to the $PATH, thus you dont have to pass the path to it.
myscript.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Script
GenericName=My Script
Exec=script.sh
Terminal=true
Type=Application

hth

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

6. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
XDG-SETTINGS(1) 						xdg-settings Manual						   XDG-SETTINGS(1)

NAME
xdg-settings - get various settings from the desktop environment SYNOPSIS
xdg-settings {get | check | set} {property} [subproperty] [value] xdg-settings {--help | --list | --manual | --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-settings gets various settings from the desktop environment. For instance, desktop environments often provide proxy configuration and default web browser settings. Using xdg-settings these parameters can be extracted for use by applications that do not use the desktop environment's libraries (which would use the settings natively). xdg-settings is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not recommended to use xdg-settings as root. OPTIONS
--help Show command synopsis. --list List all properties xdg-settings knows about. --manual Show this manual page. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. PROPERTIES
When using xdg-settings to get, check or set a destkop setting, properties and possibly sub-properties are used to specify the setting to be changed. Some properties (such as default-web-browser) fully describe the setting to be changed. Other properties (such as default-url-scheme-handler) require more information (in this case the actual scheme to set the default handler for) which must be provided in a sub-property. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. EXAMPLES
Get the desktop file name of the current default web browser xdg-settings get default-web-browser Check whether the default web browser is firefox.desktop, which can be false even if "get default-web-browser" says that is the current value (if only some of the underlying settings actually reflect that value) xdg-settings check default-web-browser firefox.desktop Set the default web browser to google-chrome.desktop xdg-settings set default-web-browser google-chrome.desktop Set the default mailto URL scheme handler to be evolution.desktop xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler mailto evolution.desktop AUTHOR
Mike Mammarella Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009-2011 [FIXME: source] 08/18/2014 XDG-SETTINGS(1)