Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Where should I ask my question? Post 302945917 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 4th of June 2015 05:56:50 PM
Old 06-04-2015
Hi Tovian, welcome to these forums...

It is best to ask shell scripting questions in this forum:
Shell Programming and Scripting

If your questions are really basic you can also ask them in the
UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Linux forums are for Linux-specific questions..

This question itself does not belong here, so I'll move it to a proper forum..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Yet Another Question

Now that I have getch() to work, I have yet another problem. BTW, thank you for answering these questions, I do ask a lot, only because I am eager to know, what is a board used for anyways :) Ok, he's the problem... #include iostream.h #include conio.h int main() { char movement; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbolthouse
2 Replies

2. Solaris

vi question

Im trying to edit a 113 meg file in VI and i get the error TMP FILE TOO LARGE. Does someone know how to get around this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv question

Hello if I like to move file from defined directories system to new directory that not contained any directories system structure . But I like to create the same file system structure as source directory for example : I have 2 directories: foo1 and foo2 foo1 have directories and foo2 have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question

hallo, ik heb hier een vraagje. hoeveel gebruikers kunnen er op 1 unix systeem. hopelijk antwoorden golle nu want ik moet da vinde voor school en die leerkracht zaagt. :p groetjes eu wacht wa was mijne nick ah ja vraagje groetjes vraagje ik kan geen engels dus antwoord liever in het... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vraagje
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about wc

Hey my friend was asking me if i knew a way to cout how many different words in a file. I told him no not off hand, but i was thinking about it, and i started to wonder also. I imagine this is probably pretty simple im just missing something, I keep confusing my self with how you would compair and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: yodadbl07
16 Replies

6. Hardware

question

How to add 3 moniters to a pc set up? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clicstic
2 Replies

7. AIX

df question

Hi, Can anyone please explain a little about df command. I have following question: Following example is showing % used as 4 where as total free blocks are 15.46 out of 16.00 MB blocks. df -m /test Filesystem MBblocks Free %Used Iused %Iused ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsabhi9
5 Replies
ionice(1)						      General Commands Manual							 ionice(1)

NAME
ionice - get/set program io scheduling class and priority SYNOPSIS
ionice [[-c class] [-n classdata] [-t]] -p PID [PID]... ionice [-c class] [-n classdata] [-t] COMMAND [ARG]... DESCRIPTION
This program sets or gets the io scheduling class and priority for a program. If no arguments or just -p is given, ionice will query the current io scheduling class and priority for that process. As of this writing, a process can be in one of three scheduling classes: Idle A program running with idle io priority will only get disk time when no other program has asked for disk io for a defined grace period. The impact of idle io processes on normal system activity should be zero. This scheduling class does not take a priority argument. Presently, this scheduling class is permitted for an ordinary user (since kernel 2.6.25). Best effort This is the effective scheduling class for any process that has not asked for a specific io priority. This class takes a priority argument from 0-7, with lower number being higher priority. Programs running at the same best effort priority are served in a round- robin fashion. Note that before kernel 2.6.26 a process that has not asked for an io priority formally uses "none" as scheduling class, but the io scheduler will treat such processes as if it were in the best effort class. The priority within the best effort class will be dynam- ically derived from the cpu nice level of the process: io_priority = (cpu_nice + 20) / 5. For kernels after 2.6.26 with CFQ io scheduler a process that has not asked for an io priority inherits CPU scheduling class. The io priority is derived from the cpu nice level of the process (same as before kernel 2.6.26). Real time The RT scheduling class is given first access to the disk, regardless of what else is going on in the system. Thus the RT class needs to be used with some care, as it can starve other processes. As with the best effort class, 8 priority levels are defined denoting how big a time slice a given process will receive on each scheduling window. This scheduling class is not permitted for an ordinary (i.e., non-root) user. OPTIONS
-c class The scheduling class. 0 for none, 1 for real time, 2 for best-effort, 3 for idle. -n classdata The scheduling class data. This defines the class data, if the class accepts an argument. For real time and best-effort, 0-7 is valid data. -p pid Pass in process PID(s) to view or change already running processes. If this argument is not given, ionice will run the listed pro- gram with the given parameters. -t Ignore failure to set requested priority. If COMMAND or PID(s) is specified, run it even in case it was not possible to set desired scheduling priority, what can happen due to insufficient privilegies or old kernel version. EXAMPLES
# ionice -c 3 -p 89 Sets process with PID 89 as an idle io process. # ionice -c 2 -n 0 bash Runs 'bash' as a best-effort program with highest priority. # ionice -p 89 91 Prints the class and priority of the processes with PID 89 and 91. NOTES
Linux supports io scheduling priorities and classes since 2.6.13 with the CFQ io scheduler. AUTHORS
Jens Axboe <jens@axboe.dk> AVAILABILITY
The ionice command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. ionice August 2005 ionice(1)