Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Using awk and sed to replace text Post 302945656 by linuxjunkie on Monday 1st of June 2015 10:05:07 AM
Old 06-01-2015
Question Using awk and sed to replace text

Good Day Every one

I have a problem finding and replacing text in some large files that will take a long time to manually edit.

Example text file looks like this

#Example Large Text File
Code:
unix
linux
dos
squid
bind
dance
bike
car
plane

What im trying to do is to edit all the lines at the same time and add " " to each line so it would look like this.

#Example Large Text File
Code:
"unix"
"linux"
"dos"
"squid"
"bind"
"dance"
"bike"
"car"
"plane"

i managed to use sed to change one line but then i need to know what the text in the line is to change it.

Code:
sed -i 's/bind/"bind"/g' large-txt-file

So what i want to do is to change all the lines regardless of what the text on that line is.

i have tried
Code:
sed -i 's/*/"*"/g' large-txt-file

and
Code:
awk '{sub(*, "*")};' large-text-file

Im new to using awk and sed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smilie

Last edited by Corona688; 06-01-2015 at 01:09 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Text with sed

Hi , I´m working on Solaris 9 SPARC and I´m writing a Script to mírror two disks.. I need to replace some text in a file ( /etc/vfstab ) . For example: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 ==> /dev/md/dsk/d0 I just want to change the "/dev/dsk/" to "/dev/md/dsk/. Thanks for your repsonse (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: networkfre@k
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to replace text with a variable

I'm trying to replace text in a file with text from a variable I have the following in my script, but its not working: #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter the path to load scripts" read x echo "updating the templates" sed "s/CHANGE_ME_TO_LOAD_PATH/"$x"/g" LoadFiles.sh > LoadFiles2.sh I thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orahi001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a range of text with sed or awk?

Howdy! I'm trying to automate editing of a configuration file (custom.conf for GDM). I need to find every line between a line that starts with "" and the next line that starts with "", I want to preserve that line, but then delete all the lines in that configuration section and then insert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TXTad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to find replace mutliline text

Hi, My input file form 1 fill 2 fill 3 form 4 fill 5 form 6 fill 7 form 8 Now i need to substiute according to the fill. form followed by single fill need to be replced with category 1 form with above and below fill need to be repalced with category 2 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed - replace text

Hi, I need to replace text in a file. Can someone help me write the proper sed command for this? My text file contains about a 100 lines of content. I want to replace the line containing new_name = "#{options}-#{ENV}" by, the following - new_name = "#{options}-#{ENV}-#{rand(999)}" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankush2kn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace text with SED

Hi, I hope someone can help me out with the following: I have a file with the following lines in it: something /path/dir/my_-_file.01.ext sometext sometext somethingelse /path/dir/my_-_file.02.ext sometext something /path/dir/my_-_file.03.ext sometext some other text And i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thyssimonis
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a text containing new lines using sed or any other method?

Hi, i want to replace "Hi How are You when did you go to delhi" to "Hi How are you when did you come from delhi" in a file. Any idea how to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to replace / in text file

Hi, I want to use sed to replace " /// " with "///" in a text file. However I am getting error messages when I use sed 's/ /// /////g' input.txt > output.txt. How do I go about doing this in sed? Input: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3 / SERINC4 Output: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3/SERINC4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with awk or sed Command to Replace Text in Files

Hello Everyone, I have many files like so: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Within each file I have many lines of random text separated by commas like so: abcAAA,123,defAA,456777,ghiA,789 jklB,101,mnoBBB,11211,pqrB,13111 stuCC,415,vwxCCCC,161,yzaC,718 I am trying to use SED or AWK to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D3U5X
4 Replies
TRS(1)								Linux User's Manual							    TRS(1)

NAME
trs - filter replacing strings SYNOPSIS
trs [-[r]e] 'REPLACE_THIS WITH_THAT [AND_THIS WITH_THAT]...' trs [-[r]f] FILE DESCRIPTION
Copy stdin to stdout replacing every occurence of given strings with other ones. This is similar to tr(1), but replaces strings, not only single chars. Rules (separated by whitespace) can be given directly after -e option, or can be read from FILE. Argument not preceded by -e or -f is guessed to be a script when it contains some whitespace, or a filename otherwise. Comments are allowed from # until the end of line. The character # in strings must be specified as #. Standard C-like escapes a  e f v \ nn are recognized. In addition, s means a space character and ! means an empty string. Sets of acceptable characters at a given position can be specified between [ and ]. ASCII ranges in sets can be shortly written as FIRST-LAST. When a set consists of only a single range, [ and ] can be omitted. When a part of the string to translate is enclosed in {...}, only that part is replaced. Any text outside {...} serves as an assertion: a string is translated only if it is preceded by the given text and followed by another one. { at the beginning or } at the end of the string can be omitted. Text outside {...} is treated as untranslated. Before the beginning of the file and after its end there are only 's. Thus, for example, {.} matches . on a line by itself, including the first line, and the last one even without the marker. A fragment of the form ?x=N, where x is a letter A-Za-z and N is a digit 0-9, contained in the target text sets the variable x to the value N when that rule succeeds. Similar fragment in the source text causes the given rule to be considered only if that variable has such value. Initially all variables have the value of 0. Several assignments or conditions can be present in one rule - they are ANDed together. OPTIONS -e Give the translation rules directly in the command line. -f Get them from the file specified. -r Reverse every rule. This affects only the next -e or -f option. Of course this doesn't have to give the reverse translation! Any rule containing any of {}[]{}- is taken in only one direction. You may force any rule to be taken in only one direction by enclosing the string to translate in {...}. --help display help and exit --version output version information and exit Multiple -e or -f options are allowed. All rules are loaded together then, and earlier ones have precedence. EXAMPLE
$ echo Leeloo |trs -e 'el n e i i aqq o} x o u' Linux DIFFERENCES FROM sed The main difference between trs and sed 's///g; ...' (excluding sed's regular expressions) is that sed takes every rule in the order speci- fied and applies it to the whole line of translated file, whereas trs examines every position and tries all rules in this place first. In sed every next rule is fed with the text produced by the previous one, whereas in trs every piece of text can be translated at most once (if more than one rule matches at a given position, the one mentioned earlier wins). That's why sed isn't well suited for translating between character sets. On the other hand, tr translates only single bytes, so it can't be used for Unicode conversions, or TeX / SGML ways for specifying extended characters. Another example: $ echo 642 |trs -e '4 7 72 66 64 4' 42 $ echo 642 |sed 's/4/7/g; s/72/66/g; s/64/4/g' 666 The string to replace can be empty; there must be something outside {} then. In this special case only one such create-from-nothing rule can success at a given position. For example, }x80-xFF @ precedes every character with high byte set with @. The rule of the form some{ thing doesn't work at the end of a file. SEE ALSO
tr(1), konwert(1) COPYRIGHT
trs is a filter replacing strings. It forms part of the konwert package. Copyright (c) 1998 Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA AUTHOR
__("< Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.home.ml.org/ \__/ GCS/M d- s+:-- a21 C+++>+++$ UL++>++++$ P+++ L++>++++$ E->++ ^^ W++ N+++ o? K? w(---) O? M- V? PS-- PE++ Y? PGP->+ t QRCZAK 5? X- R tv-- b+>++ DI D- G+ e>++++ h! r--%>++ y- Konwert 12 Jul 1998 TRS(1)