Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sort words based on word count on each line Post 302945614 by martinsmith on Monday 1st of June 2015 03:52:48 AM
Old 06-01-2015
Question Sort words based on word count on each line

Hi Folks Smilie

I have a .txt file with thousands of words. I'm trying to sort the lines in order based on number of words per line.

Example

Code:
word
word word word
word word
word word word word
word
word word word
word word

to desired output:
Code:
word
word
word word
word word
word word word
word word word
word word word word

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help!

ps. Hope i posted this in the correct forum board. My apologies if it's in the wrong section

Last edited by Don Cragun; 06-01-2015 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

count no of words in a line

hi i have a string like str=abc def ghi jkl now i want to count the no of words in the string please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count no of words in a line

hi i have a line "abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc,def,ghi,abc" I want to print the no of words, words separated by comma please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words on each line in file using xargs

Hi, im having a problem with xargs, i want to cout word of each line in file, and i HAVE to use xargs, i tried: cat file | xargs wc -w .....that uses all words in file like name of files and passed then to wc so it worte wc :somewordformfile is not i afile or directory cat file | xargs -I{} wc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwetek
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort words in a line

Hi Im looking for a way, hopefully a one-liner to sort words in a line e.g "these are the words in a line" to "a are in line the these words" Thanks! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebelbuttmunch
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fetch rows based on line numbers or based on the beginning of a word?

I have a file which will have rows like shown below, ST*820*316054716 RMR*IV*11333331009*PO*40.31 REF*IV*22234441009*xsss471-2762 DTM*003*091016 ENT*000006 RMR*IV*2222234444*PO*239.91 REF*IV*1234445451009*LJhjlkhkj471-2762 </SPAN> DTM*003* 091016 RMR*IV*2223344441009*PO*40.31... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words from a matching word in a line?

Hi Guys, :p I have a file like this: 2010-04-25 00:00:30,095 INFO - ]- start process U100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,096 DEBUG - ] -- call EJB 2010-04-25 00:00:30,709 INFO - - end processU100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,710 DEBUG - got message=Sorry I want to out put format. 2010-04-25... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count and print all repeating words in a line

Gurus, I have a file containing lines like this : Now, number of words in each line varies. My need is, if a word repeats in a line get it printed. Also total number of repeats. So, the output would be : Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks & Regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cut words based on the word count of a line

I would like to cut words based on the word count of a line. This over here inspired me with some ideas but I wasn't able to get what I needed. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/105841-count-words-each-line-file-using-xargs.html If the line has 6 words I would like to use this.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a line and Insert sorted word(s) in a line

Hello, I am looking to automate a task - which is updating an existing access control instruction of a server and making sure that the attributes defined in the instruction is in sorted order. The instructions will be of a specific syntax. For example lets assume below listed is one of an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayroc
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)						    OpenGL 3.3							 GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)

NAME
glSampleMaski - set the value of a sub-word of the sample mask C SPECIFICATION
void glSampleMaski(GLuint maskNumber, GLbitfield mask); PARAMETERS
maskNumber Specifies which 32-bit sub-word of the sample mask to update. mask Specifies the new value of the mask sub-word. DESCRIPTION
glSampleMaski sets one 32-bit sub-word of the multi-word sample mask, GL_SAMPLE_MASK_VALUE. maskIndex specifies which 32-bit sub-word of the sample mask to update, and mask specifies the new value to use for that sub-word. maskIndex must be less than the value of GL_MAX_SAMPLE_MASK_WORDS. Bit B of mask word M corresponds to sample 32 x M + B. NOTES
glSampleMaski is available only if the GL version is 3.2 or greater, or if the ARB_texture_multisample extension is supported. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if maskIndex is greater than or equal to the value of GL_MAX_SAMPLE_MASK_WORDS. SEE ALSO
glGenRenderbuffers(), glBindRenderbuffer(), glRenderbufferStorageMultisample(), glFramebufferRenderbuffer(), glDeleteRenderbuffers() COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Khronos Group. This material may be distributed subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v 1.0, 8 June 1999. http://opencontent.org/openpub/. OpenGL 3.3 03/08/2011 GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)