Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX PowerVM/lpar creation problems Post 302945505 by bakunin on Friday 29th of May 2015 08:06:53 PM
Old 05-29-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by computron
I see under the LPARs profile, the LHEA lists 4 etities. leave it to IBM to NOT call them NICs or give them names of any sort, like 'broadcom xxxx' , they just leave them as
Code:
U7aa.001.wzsg7kk-p1-c3-t1
" " t2
" "t3
" " t4

You might want to read this for help on configuring LHEAs. IMHO you should go for SEAs instead because these are more high-availability.

Anyhow, the "ugly names" you belittle are location codes. You can deduct from the location code exactly where a (physical) adapter has been placed and of which type it is. This information is much more valuable when you have a big system with several CECs and dozens of adapters and you want to replace one of these than the "Broadcom blabla" would be. It is really not IBMs fault that you seemingly have never had to administrate anything even midrange-sized, let alone the bigger irons.

You might have a very small system but it is built (and works) the same way as the dozen or so p780s that populate our data center. To work with a system that houses 50 LPARs with ease you need other methods than when you work with some PC. ESX basically run on PC hardware, somewhat rugged ip to be data center-ready. AIX does not. AIX runs on systems far bigger in every respect than any PC. Just have a look at the p780 and p870 datasheets to find out just how big these systems can get.

You might find the methods employed overly complicated but i can tell you from years-long experience that they are perfectly reasonable in an enterprise-level context. I suggest you either start using these methods and exploit the advantages they offer or you return to administrating your ESXi- or whatever virtualisation-platform you prefer.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

LPAR creation

can i get a step b syep explanation in creating LPAR... i have searched for tutorials i couldn't find the right one.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
2 Replies

2. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

3. AIX

PowerVM HA questions

hi guys, i need to develop following setup for a customer: high availability oracle database on aix7 and linux in 2 different LPAR using dual ps700 blande a ds3400 and HMC. the question is, it is possible to have automatic vioc failover(aix,linux) when for example 1 vios goes down? in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gullio23
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Package creation problems with Source files

Hi, I am creating "LSOF" solaris package from solaris "source" files. I have compiled the source file and with that i created prototype file also. Then using pkgmk command i can make the package . In the package i am having (pkginfo pkgmap reloc) two file and one directory respectively But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kathirvel G
3 Replies

5. AIX

Need IBM PowerVM

Hi all please give me a link for IBM PowerVM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
4 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Problems With User Creation Script

Hello everyone, I've been attempting to make a program which creates user accounts from a file which contains the usernames required. It also checks if the directory of the username exists in the C:\Users directory and then is going to give the option to delete the directory, or rename it, this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charlieabee
1 Replies

7. AIX

Some questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm

Some simple questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm. I want to learn AIX,so i will buy an used I285 from ebay. 1)Will support aix 7.1? 2)Is powervm avaliable?Where to download or buy it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
3 Replies

8. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies

9. AIX

PowerVM SEA etherchannel performance ?

Hello, POWER7 machine. 4 x 1Gbit port ethernet adapter is dedicated to vios. 8023ad etherchannel is created using those 4 ports. Etherchannel adapter is shared to lpars using SEA. If I test network performance directly from vios partition (using iperf) I'm geting nice 4Gbit throughput. But if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

10. AIX

Powervm ivm vios

Hello, After installing on P6 which is POWERVM IVM VIOS enabled (VET CODE D21C77ACD9229817CA1F00002C10004164 ) i get this message "I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted". HMC was connected to the machine then HMC was removed through ASMI Searching on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies
Class::Inspector(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Class::Inspector(3)

NAME
Class::Inspector - Get information about a class and its structure SYNOPSIS
use Class::Inspector; # Is a class installed and/or loaded Class::Inspector->installed( 'Foo::Class' ); Class::Inspector->loaded( 'Foo::Class' ); # Filename related information Class::Inspector->filename( 'Foo::Class' ); Class::Inspector->resolved_filename( 'Foo::Class' ); # Get subroutine related information Class::Inspector->functions( 'Foo::Class' ); Class::Inspector->function_refs( 'Foo::Class' ); Class::Inspector->function_exists( 'Foo::Class', 'bar' ); Class::Inspector->methods( 'Foo::Class', 'full', 'public' ); # Find all loaded subclasses or something Class::Inspector->subclasses( 'Foo::Class' ); DESCRIPTION
Class::Inspector allows you to get information about a loaded class. Most or all of this information can be found in other ways, but they aren't always very friendly, and usually involve a relatively high level of Perl wizardry, or strange and unusual looking code. Class::Inspector attempts to provide an easier, more friendly interface to this information. METHODS
installed $class The "installed" static method tries to determine if a class is installed on the machine, or at least available to Perl. It does this by wrapping around "resolved_filename". Returns true if installed/available, false if the class is not installed, or "undef" if the class name is invalid. loaded $class The "loaded" static method tries to determine if a class is loaded by looking for symbol table entries. This method it uses to determine this will work even if the class does not have its own file, but is contained inside a single file with multiple classes in it. Even in the case of some sort of run-time loading class being used, these typically leave some trace in the symbol table, so an Autoload or Class::Autouse-based class should correctly appear loaded. Returns true if the class is loaded, false if not, or "undef" if the class name is invalid. filename $class For a given class, returns the base filename for the class. This will NOT be a fully resolved filename, just the part of the filename BELOW the @INC entry. print Class->filename( 'Foo::Bar' ); > Foo/Bar.pm This filename will be returned with the right seperator for the local platform, and should work on all platforms. Returns the filename on success or "undef" if the class name is invalid. resolved_filename $class, @try_first For a given class, the "resolved_filename" static method returns the fully resolved filename for a class. That is, the file that the class would be loaded from. This is not nescesarily the file that the class WAS loaded from, as the value returned is determined each time it runs, and the @INC include path may change. To get the actual file for a loaded class, see the "loaded_filename" method. Returns the filename for the class, or "undef" if the class name is invalid. loaded_filename $class For a given loaded class, the "loaded_filename" static method determines (via the %INC hash) the name of the file that it was originally loaded from. Returns a resolved file path, or false if the class did not have it's own file. functions $class For a loaded class, the "functions" static method returns a list of the names of all the functions in the classes immediate namespace. Note that this is not the METHODS of the class, just the functions. Returns a reference to an array of the function names on success, or "undef" if the class name is invalid or the class is not loaded. function_refs $class For a loaded class, the "function_refs" static method returns references to all the functions in the classes immediate namespace. Note that this is not the METHODS of the class, just the functions. Returns a reference to an array of "CODE" refs of the functions on success, or "undef" if the class is not loaded. function_exists $class, $function Given a class and function name the "function_exists" static method will check to see if the function exists in the class. Note that this is as a function, not as a method. To see if a method exists for a class, use the "can" method for any class or object. Returns true if the function exists, false if not, or "undef" if the class or function name are invalid, or the class is not loaded. methods $class, @options For a given class name, the "methods" static method will returns ALL the methods available to that class. This includes all methods available from every class up the class' @ISA tree. Returns a reference to an array of the names of all the available methods on success, or "undef" if the class name is invalid or the class is not loaded. A number of options are available to the "methods" method that will alter the results returned. These should be listed after the class name, in any order. # Only get public methods my $method = Class::Inspector->methods( 'My::Class', 'public' ); public The "public" option will return only 'public' methods, as defined by the Perl convention of prepending an underscore to any 'private' methods. The "public" option will effectively remove any methods that start with an underscore. private The "private" options will return only 'private' methods, as defined by the Perl convention of prepending an underscore to an private methods. The "private" option will effectively remove an method that do not start with an underscore. Note: The "public" and "private" options are mutually exclusive full "methods" normally returns just the method name. Supplying the "full" option will cause the methods to be returned as the full names. That is, instead of returning "[ 'method1', 'method2', 'method3' ]", you would instead get "[ 'Class::method1', 'AnotherClass::method2', 'Class::method3' ]". expanded The "expanded" option will cause a lot more information about method to be returned. Instead of just the method name, you will instead get an array reference containing the method name as a single combined name, ala "full", the seperate class and method, and a CODE ref to the actual function ( if available ). Please note that the function reference is not guarenteed to be available. "Class::Inspector" is intended at some later time, work with modules that have some some of common run-time loader in place ( e.g "Autoloader" or "Class::Autouse" for example. The response from "methods( 'Class', 'expanded' )" would look something like the following. [ [ 'Class::method1', 'Class', 'method1', &Class::method1 ], [ 'Another::method2', 'Another', 'method2', &Another::method2 ], [ 'Foo::bar', 'Foo', 'bar', &Foo::bar ], ] subclasses $class The "subclasses" static method will search then entire namespace (and thus all currently loaded classes) to find all classes that are subclasses of the class provided as a the parameter. The actual test will be done by calling "isa" on the class as a static method. (i.e. "My::Class->isa($class)". Returns a reference to a list of the loaded classes that match the class provided, or false is none match, or "undef" if the class name provided is invalid. SUPPORT
Bugs should be reported via the CPAN bug tracker http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Class-Inspector <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Class-Inspector> For other issues, or commercial enhancement or support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
<http://ali.as/>, Class::Handle COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2002 - 2012 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-19 Class::Inspector(3)