Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Builtin alternatives for several commands? Post 302945501 by Michael Stora on Friday 29th of May 2015 07:35:34 PM
Old 05-29-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Instead of mollycoddling Windows folks into using Unix-like tools, why not just teach them a bit of PowerShell?

Go native, why not?!
Because I would have to learn it first Smilie Hadoop has been next on my list for a while and my organization seems to be moving toward Python for scripting (previously an in-house extended version of VB). I'm an engineer not a programmer. They are end users who can't code at all.

Mike

Last edited by Michael Stora; 05-29-2015 at 08:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ASP alternatives

I have just found out that a project I have developed in ASP (ultradev) needs to be migrated to a unix server and won't be able to support asp. Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what my options are with Unix? I have never worked with or developed for a Unix box before. Also,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricki
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternatives for CLOCK_MONOTONIC

Hi, I need to develop timeout functionality in my code, which is not affected by system's time changes.Unfortunately I dont have CLOCK_MONOTONIC support in my OS. Are there any alternatives? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitks21
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

The builtin split function in AWK is too slow

I have a text file that contains 4 million lines, each line contains 2 fields(colon as field separator). as shown: 123:444,555,666,777,888,345 233:5444,555,666,777,888,345 623:454,585,664,773,888,345 ...... Here I have to split the second field(can be up to 40,000 fields) by comma into an... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
14 Replies

4. Red Hat

Alternatives for sudo??

I am looking for an alternative for sudo in linux, where i need not type the password. OR is there any other version of 'growisofs', which can be executed under sudo??? As currently 'growisofs' refuses to start under sudo... Thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony star
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Builtin commands

Hi, In unix ls command is found in /bin/ls. Similarly where can I find built-in commands like read, set, unset commands. I found in some couple of websites saying found in bash tool set. In unix everything is considered as a type of file with path. Please can anyone tell me where is that Bash... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed -f alternatives?

I have a list of items (control file) that I want to substitute in a text file, and it's BIG. The file has two items, the original, and the new: A B B C D E The file has something like 10,000 entries. So in the oldfile.txt, I'd like to basically make all these expression matched... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: twoblink
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH alternatives

Hi, I am using SSH to execute unix commands on remote machines. But, SSH will be diabled soon and I am looking for other alternatives to execute remote scripts/commands, without SSH . any suggestions or workarounds with out SSH for remote program executions ? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternatives to Expect

Are there any other alternatives to using Expect script? Can functionality provided by Expect be achieved by any other scripting language? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianya
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command alternatives

Hi is there an alternative other than the find command to get the size of files which are 10 days older ? I already use a script with find command find . -mtime +10. However would want to have an alternative script to find the size of files which are over 10 days. Let me know if you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typeset builtin error

I'm attempting to emulate another users .zshrc file. However, I'm sort of confused on what exactly the -g argument does for the typeset builtin. Here's what he has in his .zshrc file: typeset -ga sources sources+="$ZSH_CONFIG/environment.zsh" sources+="$ZSH_CONFIG/options.zsh"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandontdr
4 Replies
CAPISUITE(8)															      CAPISUITE(8)

NAME
capisuite - Python-scriptable ISDN telecommunication suite DESCRIPTION
CapiSuite is a Python-scriptable ISDN telecommunication suite. It uses the new CAPI interface for accessing your ISDN-hardware - so you'll need a card for which a CAPI compatible driver is available. Currently these are all cards manufactured by AVM and some Eicon cards. This man page only gives a short introduction, for the real documentation please see the HTML or PDF manual distributed with CapiSuite. CapiSuite tries to give the user the ability to code his own ISDN applications without having to fiddle around with all the dirty program- ming details like callback functions, data buffers, protocol settings and so on. I took a scripting language which is (in my opinion) very easy to understand, to use and to learn - especially for beginners: Python. I extended it with some functions providing the basic ISDN "building blocks" for the users application. Behind these functions the heart of CapiSuite implements all the dirty details a user isn't interested in. My goal was to make script-coding as simple as possible but to also give you the flexibility to realize what you want. To give you an impression, coding a simple answering machine is as easy as:.IP .nf def callIncoming (call, service, call_from, call_to): connect_voice (call, 10) # answer call after 10 secs audio_send (call, "announcemnt.la") # play announcement audio_send (call, "beep.la") # play beep audio_receive (call, "call.la", 10) # record call .fi Of course some details are missing like creating a unique filename or storing the additional information (called and calling party numbers, time, ...) - but I assume you got my idea. And - don't be afraid - if you just want to have a normal answering machine or send and receive some fax documents, you can use the default scripts distributed with CapiSuite. They give you already some nice features - e.g. the answering machine is multi-user ready, supports automatic fax detection and remote inquiry functions. You'll only need to tell CapiSuite some details like your own number, record an own announcement and that's it. So CapiSuite is already equipped for your daily telecommunication needs - but if you don't like to do the things the way I do - just change it or completely do it on your own. And if you write nice scripts or have changes to my default scripts, I would love to get and perhaps make them available for all users if you don't mind. SEE ALSO
capisuite.conf(5), fax.conf(5), answering_machine.conf(5), capisuitefax(1) AUTHOR
Gernot Hillier <gernot@hillier.de>. CAPISUITE(8)