Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Different output based on run method Post 302945492 by sea on Friday 29th of May 2015 06:11:06 PM
Old 05-29-2015
Hi crowman

What is that extension *.scr?
For scripts the extension usualy represents the shell its running, bash often been shortend to .sh as well.

It is a serious NO-GO to place scripts and data files in the system root.
Thats what /root, $HOME/.cache, /opt or /tmp is for, thought they're not necesarily better...

Note that you can place your scripts in $HOME/bin so you'll have them available whereever you are, as long you are the corresponding user.

Since i didnt see any error, i rewrote it.
In this script i've changed the used path/datadir to $HOME/data.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
DATA=$HOME/data
INPUT=$DATA/mylist.txt
JOB_NO=$DATA/nojob.txt
JOB_YES=$DATA/job.txt

[ -d "$DATA" ] || mkdir -p "$DATA"
touch $JOB_{YES,NO}

while read dirfolder
do	[ -d "$dirfolder" ] && \
		echo "$dirfolder" >> "$JOB_YES" || \
		echo "$dirfolder" >> "$JOB_NO"
done<"$INPUT"

Hope this helps
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Not able to execute the method based on OS in JAVA

Hi, In my application,I want to find out the OS name and based on OS I want to do some specific operations.So I write some code based on it in JAVA but I am able to get the OS name but Not able to use the method specific to OS.I write a simple code to check it and found that it is not going to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting line output to column based output

Hi Guys, I am trying to convert a file which has a row based output to a column based output. My original file looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 1 2 3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
8 Replies

3. Programming

infinite loop, synchronizing gossip-based method

the following code runs, but it hangs somewhere, i don't know why, #include<iostream> #include<vector> #include<cstdlib> #include<ctime> #include<list> #include<pthread.h> #include<cstring> using namespace std; pthread_mutex_t listlock = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to run a sql and print the output to an output file

Hi All, I have around 900 Select Sql's which I would like to run in an awk script and print the output of those sql's in an txt file. Can you anyone pls let me know how do I do it and execute the awk script? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adept
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 2 lines from File, Run Command based off output

Okay, so I have a file containing line after line of three digit numbers. I need a script that does an action based on the last two numbers in this list. So.... To get the last two numbers, I can have the script do tail -2 filename.txt But where I run into trouble is as follows. If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Who -u gives different output if run from cron than if run from terminal?

If I run 'who -u' interactively or from a script invoked through bash in a tty on my Ubuntu 12LTS box I get an output like this: testuser pts/0 Dec 9 02:32 . 2163 (host.xx.yy) running the same through cron I get: testuser pts/0 2012-12-09 02:32 00:05 2163... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: latimer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run this grep every 10 minutes and do something based on the output

OS : Red Hat Linux 6.4 Shell : Bash We have a file called status.txt which will have only 1 line. The content will be the string "Processing" for most of the day. # cat status.txt Processing #I want to write a shell script (notify.sh) which will be executing a grep every 10 minutes . ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Method to run a shell script using shortcut key in keyboard with out logging to putty

Dear All, I want to run a shell script with out logging to putty but configuring it to a keyboard short cut it windows PC. Can this be done? I want this to rename a log in a specified folder in a system Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chi_SL
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To run the script based on dates

I am having below script which needs to be executed based on start and end date #!/bin/bash array=('2016-09-27' '2016-10-27' '2016-11-27' '2016-12-27' '2017-01-27' '2017-02-27' '2017-03-27' '2017-04-27' '2017-05-27' '2017-06-27' '2017-07-27' '2017-08-27' '2017-09-27' ) for i in "${array}" do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

When I run the code yesterday I am getting output,when I run same code today I am getting error?

If run the below code today its creating all directory and getting output files,I f run same code tomorrow I am getting error. can any one give suggestion to sortout this error. OSError: no such file or directory : '062518'My code looks like this import paramiko import sys import os ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: haribabu2229
8 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)