Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cpu, memory - limit by user
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Cpu, memory - limit by user Post 302945454 by MadeInGermany on Friday 29th of May 2015 12:44:33 PM
Old 05-29-2015
I don't have experience with your requested per-user limits, but I have seen a limit for threads per user:
Code:
# cat /etc/security/limits.d/threads.conf
* soft  nproc       6000
* soft  sigpending  6000

And found the following resource that will be more fair to other users regarding CPU consumption:
Quote:
# echo ‘1’ > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_autogroup_enabled
Add to /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot:
kernel.sched_autogroup_enabled = 1
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alert When a Process Exceeds a CPU Utilization Limit...

Hi EveryOne We run CICS Sofware on our AIX Machine... When ever some Process or Transaction loops it Takes heavy process Usage.. Is there a way that i can Get a alert message or a Message Thrown on to screen when ever a process named "cicsas" uses more that 20%... fo CPU.. I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
4 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Redhat 2.1 AS Memory Limit?

I have a customer with an HP DL380 G4 server running Redhat 2.1 AS that has 4GB memory installed. They want to upgrade in the server to the maximum of 12GB using (6) 2GB DIMMs. I can do this for them, but I read somewhere that Redhat 2.1 has an upper memory limit. Or you need a kernel patch to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cbish68
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Memory Limit ?

Is there an input file memory limit for awk? I have a 38Mb text file that I am trying to print out certatin lines and add a string to the end of that line. When I excute the script on the 38Mb file the string I am adding is put on a new line. If I do the same with a smaller file the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
3 Replies

6. AIX

Memory limit for C program

Greetings - I'm porting a C application to an AIX (6.1) system, and have bumped into the limits AIX imposes on memory allocation, namely the default limit of 256MB for a process. I'm aware of the compilation flag that allows an application to gain access to up to 8 memory segments (each 256MB,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: traviswheeler
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How get memory and cpu usages of user's processes?

I have the processes (100+) by the oracle id and I'd to get the summarized view of the oracle processes' usage of the memory and the cpu. top would give me some, but not all. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwmi
3 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Limit CPU and RAM utilization for new user in RedHat

We have a system with 4 Xeon Processors each with 10 cores, total 512 GB RAM and 10 TB Hard Drive. we want to create multiple user accounts with different resource limitations as : User 1: RAM : 50GB, PROCESSOR: 10 Cores , User folder in home directory of 10GB space. User 2: RAM :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavvsk
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Perl script limit cpu usage

Hi Experts, I am executing multiple instances(in parallel) of perl script on HP-UX box. OS is allocating substantial amount of CPU to these perl processes,resulting higher cpu utilization. Glance always shows perl processes are occupying majority of the CPU resource. It is causing slower... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Questions regarding CPU cores vs rctl limit

Hi, I am trying to gather cpu core details and used this script - Solaris & Scripting: Script - Find cpu - model / type / count / core / thread / speed - Solaris Sparc For auuditing purpose, we want to know how many cores are being used by Oracle, because oracle license will be charged on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)							 1							POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)

posix_getrlimit - Return info about system resource limits

SYNOPSIS
array posix_getrlimit (void ) DESCRIPTION
posix_getrlimit(3) returns an array of information about the current resource's soft and hard limits. Each resource has an associated soft and hard limit. The soft limit is the value that the kernel enforces for the corresponding resource. The hard limit acts as a ceiling for the soft limit. An unprivileged process may only set its soft limit to a value from 0 to the hard limit, and irreversibly lower its hard limit. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array of elements for each limit that is defined. Each limit has a soft and a hard limit. List of possible limits returned +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Limit name | | | | | | | Limit description | | | | +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ | core | | | | | | | The maximum size of the core file. When 0, not | | | core files are created. When core files are | | | larger than this size, they will be truncated at | | | this size. | | | | | totalmem | | | | | | | The maximum size of the memory of the process, | | | in bytes. | | | | |virtualmem | | | | | | | The maximum size of the virtual memory for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | | data | | | | | | | The maximum size of the data segment for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | | stack | | | | | | | The maximum size of the process stack, in bytes. | | | | | rss | | | | | | | The maximum number of virtual pages resident in | | | RAM | | | | | maxproc | | | | | | | The maximum number of processes that can be cre- | | | ated for the real user ID of the calling process. | | | | | memlock | | | | | | | The maximum number of bytes of memory that may | | | be locked into RAM. | | | | | cpu | | | | | | | The amount of time the process is allowed to use | | | the CPU. | | | | | filesize | | | | | | | The maximum size of the data segment for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | |openfiles | | | | | | | One more than the maximum number of open file | | | descriptors. | | | | +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example use of posix_getrlimit(3) <?php $limits = posix_getrlimit(); print_r($limits); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [soft core] => 0 [hard core] => unlimited [soft data] => unlimited [hard data] => unlimited [soft stack] => 8388608 [hard stack] => unlimited [soft totalmem] => unlimited [hard totalmem] => unlimited [soft rss] => unlimited [hard rss] => unlimited [soft maxproc] => unlimited [hard maxproc] => unlimited [soft memlock] => unlimited [hard memlock] => unlimited [soft cpu] => unlimited [hard cpu] => unlimited [soft filesize] => unlimited [hard filesize] => unlimited [soft openfiles] => 1024 [hard openfiles] => 1024 ) NOTES
Note This is a not POSIX function, but is common on BSD and System V systems. If the system does not support this function, then it will not be included at compile time. This may be checked with function_exists(3). SEE ALSO
man page GETRLIMIT(2). PHP Documentation Group POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)