Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl Scripting Question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Scripting Question Post 302945446 by Skrynesaver on Friday 29th of May 2015 11:19:10 AM
Old 05-29-2015
|| is a shorthand for OR, this is common in many C-like languages (or even algol descendants), so if the shift returns false (no element in the default array) the value of $self is set to 7899
This User Gave Thanks to Skrynesaver For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another scripting question

I am writing a script that will identify the oldest file in a directory. Here's the syntax: #!/bin/ksh cd directory chmod 777 * ls -r -1t > file1 sed -n -e "1P" < file1 > file2 So my problem is, now I have file2, which contains the name of the oldest file in the directory. How do I use,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting question

i have to use bash to get system information like IP address and the operating system being used, does anybody know how to do this? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
10 Replies

3. Solaris

Scripting question

I'm writing a small script that will run an executable program (sort of like TOP). To exit the executable, you have to enter control C (^c). I'm trying to use a redirect input file to send the ^c but I'm not having any luck. My short script looks like this - /mydirectory/abc.script < abc.in >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help configuring Active Perl on Windows Vista.: Perl Scripting on Windows

Hi All, Need help configuring Active Perl on Windows Vista. I am trying to install Active Perl on Windows Vista. The version of Active Perl i am trying to install is : ActivePerl 5.10.1 Build 1006 After installing it through cmd, When i try to run perl -v to check the version, i get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

8. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

Preview of command prompt f ---> to start ferret q----> to stop ferret asp@nex:~$ f NOAA/PMEL TMAP FERRET v6.82 Linux 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5PAE 32-bit - 08/03/12 3-Dec-12 16:44 yes? go my.jnl yes?column=4/skip=1/type=num,text ............filename.txt ---... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

hi all, I am writing a script and beginner in shell scripting. I have tried the below script. could you please check and let me know whether the below scirpt is correct. Unix details : HP Unix Input file. cat input.txt | tail -4 HTS40002.W1978.PROM HTS40003.W1978.PROM... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
17 Replies
IO::Pipe(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     IO::Pipe(3pm)

NAME
IO::Pipe - supply object methods for pipes SYNOPSIS
use IO::Pipe; $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); if($pid = fork()) { # Parent $pipe->reader(); while(<$pipe>) { ... } } elsif(defined $pid) { # Child $pipe->writer(); print $pipe ... } or $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); $pipe->reader(qw(ls -l)); while(<$pipe>) { ... } DESCRIPTION
"IO::Pipe" provides an interface to creating pipes between processes. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [READER, WRITER] ) Creates an "IO::Pipe", which is a reference to a newly created symbol (see the "Symbol" package). "IO::Pipe::new" optionally takes two arguments, which should be objects blessed into "IO::Handle", or a subclass thereof. These two objects will be used for the system call to "pipe". If no arguments are given then method "handles" is called on the new "IO::Pipe" object. These two handles are held in the array part of the GLOB until either "reader" or "writer" is called. METHODS
reader ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the reading end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. writer ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the writing end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. handles () This method is called during construction by "IO::Pipe::new" on the newly created "IO::Pipe" object. It returns an array of two objects blessed into "IO::Pipe::End", or a subclass thereof. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perlbug@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 IO::Pipe(3pm)