Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Losing Time
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Losing Time Post 302945369 by Scott on Thursday 28th of May 2015 03:11:54 PM
Old 05-28-2015
It might help folks if you describe your system in a little detail... OS, hardware, function, main applications, etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Losing Time/Time cloclk

:confused: :confused: :confused: I have a voicemail system that runs on Unix, I am new to unix:rolleyes: . However the manual I have informs me that the unix clock loses three seconds every day, and I have to perform a sync at the end of the month. My questions are simple 1. Is this generic... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azdauk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

losing time

Hi all, The server seems to be losing time, not a lot, but enough to be noticed. UNIX AIX 4.3.3 Any ideas, Kathy (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Losing ownership with gzip

I'm trying to sell the use of gzip instead of compress in our department. One issue I'm having (which is a showstopper) is that I lose the ownership when gzipping and gunzipping, though it's mentioned all over the web that files are supposed to keep ownership. Example: -rwxrwxrwx 1 ms32345 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing zero in while read

I'm using a while read statement to read in lines from a file, if a value (for example) is 1000.10 in a field, the last zero is removed leaving 1000.1 does anyone know a way to keep the field as it is in the original file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Losing my solaris virginity

So here's the scoop. I am working on a project to automate the building of spark based solaris servers. I've got a cursory amount of knowledge of how to use the os after some pretty heavy experience with Linux, and doing a similar project there. I have a few questions though... 1) how is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing quotes after redirection

Hello experts, Pleas I have written a shell script to build a parfile but I keep losing the quotes from query1 and query variables after the redirection.. How do I fix this ? PARFILE=${EXPDP_BASE}/expdp_${DAY}.par USERID=$(${ORACLE_BASE}/getpass.ksh SYSTEM opnlkp2.uk.ml.com)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

losing ESSID

Hey guys, facing a weird issue - hoping someone might be able to help. The wireless network on my laptop is configured with a static IP address. (not using nm) When i take the laptop out of the range (or i power the router down) the essid is becoming "off/any". When i'm back in range the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshe88
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

losing mail enroute

system is HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 A standard feature of almost all of our cron jobs is to redirect output to a log file, then at the end of the script to embed the contents of that log file in the body of an email sent to the IT staff. Typical code to do this is $MAILER -s "$PROC: $SUBJECT"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
3 Replies

9. Programming

Losing signal problem

I'm newbie in UNIX programming, I have a problem with signals. I'm writing multithread program, where threads can die at any moment. When thread dies it generates signal SIGUSR1 to main thread and then thread dies. Main thread gets a signal and waits for thread dead. I wrote program like this: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DendyGamer
5 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Losing the connection

Hi. Recently when I'm logged in to site after some seconds, for instance, I lose the connection and need sign in again. It happens on Firefox and Chrome. Or another example, when I'm logged in to site and click on my nick name (right up corner) I lose the connection to site. User: tiago ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
0 Replies
cpc(3CPC)					    CPU Performance Counters Library Functions						 cpc(3CPC)

NAME
cpc - hardware performance counters DESCRIPTION
Modern microprocessors contain hardware performance counters that allow the measurement of many different hardware events related to CPU behavior, including instruction and data cache misses as well as various internal states of the processor. The counters can be configured to count user events, system events, or both. Data from the performance counters can be used to analyze and tune the behavior of software on a particular type of processor. Most processors are able to generate an interrupt on counter overflow, allowing the counters to be used for various forms of profiling. This manual page describes a set of APIs that allow Solaris applications to use these counters. Applications can measure their own behav- ior, the behavior of other applications, or the behavior of the whole system. Shared Counters or Private Counters There are two principal models for using these performance counters. Some users of these statistics want to observe system-wide behavior. Other users want to view the performance counters as part of the register set exported by each LWP. On a machine performing more than one activity, these two models are in conflict because the counters represent a critical hardware resource that cannot simultaneously be both shared and private. Configuration Interfaces The following configuration interfaces are provided: cpc_open(3CPC) Check the version the application was compiled with against the version of the library. cpc_cciname(3CPC) Return a printable string to describe the performance counters of the processor. cpc_npic(3CPC) Return the number of performance counters on the processor. cpc_cpuref(3CPC) Return a reference to documentation that should be consulted to understand how to use and interpret data from the performance counters. Performance Counter Access Performance counters can be present in hardware but not acccessible because either some of the necessary system software components are not available or not installed, or the counters might be in use by other processes. The cpc_open(3CPC) function determines the accessibility of the counters and must be invoked before any attempt to program the counters. Finding Events Each different type of processor has its own set of events available for measurement. The cpc_walk_events_all(3CPC) and cpc_walk_events_pic(3CPC) functions allow an application to determine the names of events supported by the underlying processor. Using Attributes Some processors have advanced performance counter capabilities that are configured with attributes. The cpc_walk_attrs(3CPC) function can be used to determine the names of attributes supported by the underlying processor. The documentation referenced by cpc_cpuref(3CPC) should be consulted to understand the meaning of a processor's performance counter attributes. Performance Counter Context Each processor on the system possesses its own set of performance counter registers. For a single process, it is often desirable to main- tain the illusion that the counters are an intrinsic part of that process (whichever processors it runs on), since this allows the events to be directly attributed to the process without having to make passive all other activity on the system. To achieve this behavior, the library associates performance counter context with each LWP in the process. The context consists of a small amount of kernel memory to hold the counter values when the LWP is not running, and some simple kernel functions to save and restore those counter values from and to the hardware registers when the LWP performs a normal context switch. A process can only observe and manipulate its own copy of the performance counter control and data registers. Performance Counters In Other Processes Though applications can be modified to instrument themselves as demonstrated above, it is frequently useful to be able to examine the behavior of an existing application without changing the source code. A separate library, libpctx, provides a simple set of interfaces that use the facilities of proc(4) to control a target process, and together with functions in libcpc, allow truss-like tools to be constructed to measure the performance counters in other applications. An example of one such application is cputrack(1). The functions in libpctx are independent of those in libcpc. These functions manage a process using an event-loop paradigm -- that is, the execution of certain system calls by the controlled process cause the library to stop the controlled process and execute callback functions in the context of the controlling process. These handlers can perform various operations on the target process using APIs in libpctx and libcpc that consume pctx_t handles. SEE ALSO
cputrack(1), cpustat(1M), cpc_bind_curlwp(3CPC), cpc_buf_create(3CPC), cpc_enable(3CPC), cpc_npic(3CPC), cpc_open(3CPC), cpc_set_cre- ate(3CPC), cpc_seterrhndlr(3CPC), libcpc(3LIB), pctx_capture(3CPC), pctx_set_events(3CPC), proc(4). SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 cpc(3CPC)