Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bizzare behavior on redirect of stdout Post 302945355 by Corona688 on Thursday 28th of May 2015 01:39:46 PM
Old 05-28-2015
Calling the write() system call does not create a file. Only open() does that, and the only time your program does that is when you do > filename.

In UNIX, where a file is and what its contents are, are separate questions. What really keeps a file's contents is its inode. If you hardlink a file into two different folders, they will share the same inode.

So when you delete a file which happens to be open, it will delete its directory listing, but the file itself -- its inode -- will still exist until you close it. (or the program holding it quits.) After that, it will be freed completely from disk.

This is a common trap new administrators fall into, incidentally. When they find a huge logfile filling up the disk, they delete it -- which makes things worse because the file remains open, but can't be shrunk from the console anymore. Whatever service is keeping it open would have to be stopped or convinced to close it before the disk space becomes free.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with redirect stdout to file

Hi all hope you can help as I am going MAD!!! :eek: The below is in a shell script but the redirection in the sed line does not work and outputs to the screen and the $fname_2 does note get created ????? Can any one help ?? #!/bin/ksh cd /app/ for fname in `ls -1 X*` do sed 1d $fname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Programming

redirect stdout

hello again! i use dup2 to redirect stdout. I run what i want, now i want undo this redirection. how can i do that? thanx in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
7 Replies

5. Programming

how to redirect back to stdout

In my program, I am using library provided by other. In the library, the cout/cerr is redirected to a file (the file path is known). After I call some methods in the library, I get one side-effect --> The cout/cerr in my own program is also directed to the file. So how can I to redirect... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDOUT to a file in a subshell

Hi, I would like to avoid re-directing line by line to a file. What is the best way to re-direct STDOUT to a file in a subshell? Thanks in advance. Cheers Vj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnvee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with counting processes, bizzare behavior

I have a ksh script (dtksh Version M-12/28/93d on Solaris 10) that is run daily by cron and sometime hangs forever. I need to detect if there is an old copy hung before I start the new run, and if so send an email and exit the script. Here is part of the code: #!/usr/dt/bin/dtksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 73rdUserID
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderror in child process

I have a problem when i try to create a log file from a daemon process using shell scripting in ubuntu 12. Ultimatly what i want to achieve is run a java/jar file from a script. After scourging the internet i found several solutions to do this, the one i choose is to create a startup script that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narev
4 Replies
CLOSE(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  CLOSE(2)

NAME
close - close a file descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int close(int fd); DESCRIPTION
close() closes a file descriptor, so that it no longer refers to any file and may be reused. Any record locks (see fcntl(2)) held on the file it was associated with, and owned by the process, are removed (regardless of the file descriptor that was used to obtain the lock). If fd is the last file descriptor referring to the underlying open file description (see open(2)), the resources associated with the open file description are freed; if the descriptor was the last reference to a file which has been removed using unlink(2) the file is deleted. RETURN VALUE
close() returns zero on success. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EBADF fd isn't a valid open file descriptor. EINTR The close() call was interrupted by a signal; see signal(7). EIO An I/O error occurred. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Not checking the return value of close() is a common but nevertheless serious programming error. It is quite possible that errors on a previous write(2) operation are first reported at the final close(). Not checking the return value when closing the file may lead to silent loss of data. This can especially be observed with NFS and with disk quota. A successful close does not guarantee that the data has been successfully saved to disk, as the kernel defers writes. It is not common for a file system to flush the buffers when the stream is closed. If you need to be sure that the data is physically stored use fsync(2). (It will depend on the disk hardware at this point.) It is probably unwise to close file descriptors while they may be in use by system calls in other threads in the same process. Since a file descriptor may be reused, there are some obscure race conditions that may cause unintended side effects. When dealing with sockets, you have to be sure that there is no recv(2) still blocking on it on another thread, otherwise it might block forever, since no more messages will be send via the socket. Be sure to use shutdown(2) to shut down all parts the connection before clos- ing the socket. SEE ALSO
fcntl(2), fsync(2), open(2), shutdown(2), unlink(2), fclose(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-12-28 CLOSE(2)