Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk print string with removing all spaces Post 302945085 by o1283c on Tuesday 26th of May 2015 05:39:34 AM
Old 05-26-2015
awk print string with removing all spaces

Hi all,

I want to set 10 set of strings into a variable where:
  1. removing all spaces within each string
  2. change the delimiter from "|" to ","

Currently, I've the below script like this:
Code:
Table=`ten character strings with spaces in-between and each string with delimiter "|" | tr -d ' ' | awk -F'|' '{print $1","$2","$3","$4","$5","$6","$7","$8","$9","$10}'`

Today I've got an error 0403-029 There is not enough memory available now. while running the tr -d ' ' (delete space characters) so I suspect either I've used too many pipelines or the tr command (translate or delete) itself may eat up the memory.

I'd like to know if there is a way to remove all spaces within each string within the command:
Code:
awk -F'|' '{print $1","$2","$3","$4","$5","$6","$7","$8","$9","$10}'`

So as to use less pipeline commands thus reduce the memory consumption

Thanks in advance

Paul

Last edited by rbatte1; 05-26-2015 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Converted numeric/text list to LIST=1 tags and FONT formatting to ICODE tags - added CODE tags too

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print arguments along with spaces using awk

Hi All, file_1.txt contains aaa bbbb hhhh vvvvv mmmmm iiiii What i want is to search for the first coloumn of each line using awk.i.e as below: awk '/aaa/ {printf(<>)}' file_1.txt The print part (<>) should contain all the values(or coloumns ) in the particular line(here it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from string

I want a user to be able to paste in a string like "01 3F 20 1F" and have the script reformat it to "013F201F" to pass it on to the next step. I was trying to figure it out with awk but wasnt working well. Never mind, found answer. did not know about tr :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print filenames with spaces using awk

Hello all, I want to list the file contents of the directory and number them. I am using la and awk to do it now, #ls |awk '{print NR "." $1}' 1. alpha 2. beta 3. gamma The problem I have is that some files might also have some spaces in the filenames. #ls alpha beta gamma ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the string between spaces

How to print the strings within a line between two spaces . <ns1:providerErrorCode>141</ns1:providerErrorCode> <ns1:providerErrorText>business_rule_exception-Server.404:Cannot proceed because the subscriber with phone number is either suspended or the account has an unpaid... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print files with spaces using awk

When I use: find . -ls | awk 'BEGIN { OFS = ";"} {print $1,$2,$11}'I get a nice result, yet the files with spaces in it show only the first word and all other characters after the blank space are not printed. e.g. 'file with a blank space' is printed file 'file_with a blank space' is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing columns from awk '{ print $0 }'

I have a one-line command, lsusb | awk '{ $1=""; $2=""; $3=""; $4=""; $5=""; $6=""; print $0 }' It works, and gives the results I expect, I was just wondering if I am missing some easier way to nullify the first 6 column variables? Something like, lsusb | awk '{ $(1-6)=""; print $0 }' But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlphaLexman
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for removing spaces

HI, I have a file with lot of blank lines, how can I remove those using awk?? Thanks, Shruthi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK print last field including SPACES

I have simple test.sh script, see below: bill_code=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'` Fullname=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $3}'` email=`echo $record | awk -F\ '{print $4}'` The last field contains spaces: see csv below: A0222|Y|DELACRUZ|-cc dell@yahoo.com-cc support@yahoo.com ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: quay
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print columns with text and spaces

Hi, I'm using awk to print columns from a tab delimited text file: awk '{print " "$2" "$3" $6"}' file The problem I have is column 6 contains text with spaces etc which means awk only prints the first word. How can I tell awk to print the whole column content as column 6? Thanks, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: keenboy100
10 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)