Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is your favorite terminal? Post 302944963 by bakunin on Sunday 24th of May 2015 06:36:47 PM
Old 05-24-2015
I like the 3151 myself, mostly because it was able to cope with the weird cabling the RS/6000 needed (you'd need three gender changers and 5 crossovers to make a normal DEC VT220 work) and because the TERMCAP database entries for "common" terminals (like VT100, et al.) were - probably deliberately - FUBAR in AIX. I might even have one still somewhere down in the depth of my attic.

For work i use either a workstation capable of X or - if i have to use one of these Windoze-contraptions - Opentext Exceed, so i can use XTerms. Xdefaults are badly misconfigured in AIX and Linux as well and out of the box XTerms are ugly and cumbersome to work with, but with a little tweaking XTerms are far better (and the same everywhere) than AIXterms (IBMs replacement), dtterms (CDEs replacement) or the G- K- and whatever-terms Linux throws at one. There is nothing as original as the original itself, IMHO.

Here is what i use as Xdefaults for XTerm:
Code:
! /*--------------------- XTerm ----------------------------------*/
XTerm*background:       steelblue
XTerm*foreground:       wheat
XTerm*cursorColor:      black
XTerm*font:             -ibm-roman-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-c-90-iso8859-1
! XTerm*iconImage:        /usr/include/X11/bitmaps/xlogo16
XTerm*fullCursor:       true
XTerm*saveLines:                2000
XTerm*scrollBar:              false
XTerm*scrollPosition: right             // seem's not to work
! this is for displaying german umlauts
!XTerm*fontMenu*font1*Label:   ISO8859-Charset
!XTerm*VT100*font1: -ibm--medium-r-medium--20-14-100-100-c-90-iso8859-1

And here are the calls for my preferred XTerm colour schemes, the first one is for editing, the second is my "root window":

Code:
xterm -fg rgb:20/D0/C0 -bg rgb:30/30/50 -cr wheat -fn rom14 -geometry 80x40 -ls
xterm -fg thistle1 -bg rgb:4d/28/4d -cr thistle1 -fn rom14 -geometry 80x40 -ls

What this looks like can be seen here.

bakunin

PS: since this came up: i started my programming career on IBM OS/360 as an Assembler programmer in the late seventies. This Assembler was the first language i learned.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite Xscreensaver?

Out of the 100s of screensavers in xscreensaver, what is your favorite? I think mine is definitely juggle. I can sit and watch that juggler forever. I haven't looked into the code, but it must be amazingly complex to deal with all that's going on. From the random throwing pattern, to the arm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
0 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Where Is Your Favorite Continent?

Where is your favorite continent to enjoy life? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
14 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Favorite UNIX-like OS for laptop

First, a hello to all of you out there. Quick introduction since I'm new here before I ask my question. I'm a Computer Science major who has an unnatural love of operating systems. :) In fact, I'm looking on building a new computer that will have enough RAM to let me have some fun with several VMs... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViperChief
7 Replies

4. AIX

What's your favorite AIX Error?

I've set up errpt to redirect to syslog and syslog to forward to our linux syslog server. So I get to play around the rest of the day breaking my labs. I've been filling file systems, tearing apart vhosts and unplugging cables - committing all sorts of heinous crimes. I'm not used to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HayekSplosives1
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What is your favorite TED talk?

The TED talk (Technology Entertainment Design) non-profit initiative started many years ago as a platform for sharing knowledge to a wide audience. Since 2006 the talks are available online under a Creative Commons license. There are now 1000+ TED talks from a wide range of subjects and I wanted to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
APPRES(1)						      General Commands Manual							 APPRES(1)

NAME
appres - list X application resource database SYNOPSIS
appres [class [instance]] [-1] [toolkitoptions] DESCRIPTION
The appres program prints the resources seen by an application (or subhierarchy of an application) with the specified class and instance names. It can be used to determine which resources a particular program will load. For example, % appres XTerm will list the resources that any xterm program will load. If no application class is specified, the class -AppResTest- is used. To match a particular instance name, specify an instance name explicitly after the class name, or use the normal Xt toolkit option. For example, % appres XTerm myxterm or % appres XTerm -name myxterm To list resources that match a subhierarchy of an application, specify hierarchical class and instance names. The number of class and instance components must be equal, and the instance name should not be specified with a toolkit option. For example, % appres Xman.TopLevelShell.Form xman.topBox.form will list the resources of widgets of xman topBox hierarchy. To list just the resources matching a specific level in the hierarchy, use the -1 option. For example, % appres XTerm.VT100 xterm.vt100 -1 will list the resources matching the xterm vt100 widget. SEE ALSO
X(7), xrdb(1), listres(1) AUTHOR
Jim Fulton, MIT X Consortium X Version 11 appres 1.0.3 APPRES(1)