Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vim line length...
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Vim line length... Post 302944921 by wisecracker on Saturday 23rd of May 2015 03:15:04 PM
Old 05-23-2015
Hi Don...

Hope this lot is lucid...

There was just a few to be manually done...
Code:
Go to column <n>. (Row will always be 1).
Delete character and replace.
Save and exit without a newline...

cut and paste duly noted...

However; I am working on an on-window full screen text editor that displays the waveform and changes any selected character and redraws the new waveform and places it into a variable and when finished this variable will then be played through SOX.
This will have the option of saving it using printf or just losing it on exiting the code...

The waveform will be approximate as viewed as I can only obtain 47 rows from the MBPs default terminal and when multiplied by 2 gives 94 levels inclusive. The 94, (95), level accuracy is maintained however, just the image is not so accurate.

I hope to have a DEMO idea working in the not too distant future...

All in text - EEK!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim as command line editor

Here is my problem, I manage a SunOs 5.8 Server, vi is the default command line editor, I have a line on each users .kshrc profile as follows: export EDITOR=/bin/vi I want to use vim as the command line editor, the below line doesn't work export EDITOR=/bin/vim Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tony3101
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remember last visited line in vim

hi, I know we can do this; but dont know how.. I open a file using vim..browse thru it and then say :wq after reaching some line; The next time I open the same file, I want vim to position the cursor on the line where I left last time; anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spopuri
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

line completion in vim

how we achive line completion and word completion in vim editor? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to go previous line in vim

hi, suppose my cursor is on 15 th line in vim i want to go 105 th line and directly come to 15 line from there is any shot key in vim to come directly to previous line ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Characters at specific position in a line if the line is certain length

I've got a file that would have lines similar to: 12345678 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 23456781 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 34567812 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 45678123 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: replace a character in the middle of line

exmaple, i need to replace the number "5" from all lines below with "X"? What is the useful vim command that i can apply for.. ddpadsgg506xghssuyj ddpadsgag546xghssuys ddsadsgaag596xghssuy_te ddsadsgag506xghssuy_pe ddsadsgagc526xghssuys ddsads506ighssuys ddsadsgag506pghssuyk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 793589
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vim editor -> uncounted new line

Hi, I entered the following text in a new file through vim: "Four score and seven years ago" saved and exit. When I looked at the file size, it was 31B, although is supposed to be 30. I reedited the file (again with vim) to check for errors, but everything seemed fine. When I opened the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prostiiinet
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim copy line and paste at the beginning, middle, and end of another line

How would you do vim copy line and paste at the beginning, middle, and end of another line. I know yy copies the whole line and p pastes the whole line, but on its own separate line. Sometimes I would like to copy a line to the beginning, middle, or end of another line. I would think this would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line

Hi, I have a issue, I need to loop through a comma delimited file and check for the length which exceeds specified length , if Yes truncate the string. But my problem is , I do not have to check for all the fields and the field lenght is not same for all the fields. For ex: Say my line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
9 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)